xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Need Gogoackman's Expertise...  (Read 1025 times)

dokworm

• Archived User
Need Gogoackman's Expertise...
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2007, 03:03:00 AM »

In VGA mode the xbox puts out 31.5KHz/60Hz
In NTSC mode it puts out 15.7KHz/60Hz.

But anyway, I don't care about the tear I just want it to work in VGA mode without going green  sad.gif

micbic

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2007, 03:49:00 AM »

Dude, the last post in this thread was nearly two years ago.

Consoleman!

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »

Yep, this thread is ancient, but the screen tearing issue still persists in Mameox.

From my experience, scrolling graphics in general can cause tearing even in games that are running at a full 60fps.  While I'm no expert on the subject, perhaps triple buffering could provide some help here:

http://en.wikipedia....riple_buffering

Nemo1985X

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2007, 01:39:00 AM »

Still an tearing issue?  blink.gif  may I ask, tearing in what games?

Consoleman!

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(Nemo1985X @ Jan 25 2007, 03:46 AM) View Post

Still an tearing issue?  blink.gif  may I ask, tearing in what games?

In Mamedox, screen tearing is well documented.  IIRC, this issue was inherited from Mameox.

As far as Mameox128 is concerned, the issue is slightly different since an attempt was made to fix screen tearing.

When using Mameox128, the screen stutters in games like Rally X whenever frame skipping and frame rate throttling are enabled.  For some games, like Pacmania, these options are necessary if a user wants the game to play at a playable speed with accurate audio.  Without frame skipping, the game will run too slowly.  Without throttling, the sound will break up the higher the frame skipping is set.  Many of the cpu intensive games experience this effect to one degree or another.

In these situations, maybe triple buffering would help.  In general, it should help any time v-sync is off.  

The problem here is that having v-sync off isn't going to show a significant speed increase in Mameox128 because v-sync off relies on frame skipping and Mameox128's frame skipping relies on the sluggish throttling feature to "help" keep the audio and video synchronized.  The emulator would be better served by having a true A/V synchronization routine like the one used in Virtual Gameboy Advance, which always works perfectly no matter how high you set frame skipping.

Audio synchronization would allow the user to disable throttling altogether, while allowing him to set frame skipping manually.  He could then use triple buffering to reduce screen tearing.

Consoleman!

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »

Clarification:  

My original take on frame rate throttling seems to be off.  I just ran some tests and it seems to have less impact on playability than I remember.  Auto frame skipping seems to be the culprit.
Pages: 1 2 [3]