xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: My Response  (Read 2648 times)

XPort

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2003, 12:36:00 PM »

Large dopant - I was not clear in my original posting.  

*All* the source to *all* the things I've ported are released.  Everything.  Not just PCSXBox.

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2003, 12:02:00 PM »

QUOTE (XPort @ May 16 2003, 09:00 PM)
Large dopant - I was not clear in my original posting.  

*All* the source to *all* the things I've ported are released.  Everything.  Not just PCSXBox.

Oh, well, then, I take back that comment, as you've already done it.
Bravo to you, Xport! smile.gif

nx-neon

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2003, 12:59:00 PM »

Xport I'd like to personally thank you for all the work you've done porting to the xbox.  It has made my "box" much more valuable in my eyes and my fiance's too (she can finally play crash bandicoot again LOL).  As for CyRUS64, i don't quite understand his problem.  You have obviously fixxed all the things that myself and a few select others had said you would fix.  And yet he still is a prick about things.  

THe post that was titled "Should Xport respect the GPL?" was originally titled "Does CyRUS64 Ever stop bitching??"  The title was changed when the topic started to lean toward GPL discussions, mainly being CyRUS bitching and everyone else telling him to shut his trap.  Honestly when i saw your post today, i was hoping he would finally stop and go back to his DC Boys, however i am shocked that he hasn't.  God knows if he will ever let this die even since you have done ALL That he has asked/demanded.  I find it a bit rediculous that you have to come out and defend yourself in a scene you are so respected in.  

All i can say is thank you and you have my respect.
d

splat

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2003, 01:24:00 PM »

Fact of the matter is that these GPL fanatics want the source simply so they can look at it, scratch their heads, think "I'll never be able to do this", and then weep silently to themselves.  They'll never actually get any attention by creating something original, so they find pleasure in harassing authors and holding them to the draconian rules of the GPL.  I've seen it many times before, and I'm sure I'll see it again.
-Dan

This post has been edited by splat: May 16 2003, 08:24 PM

Dr. Love

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2003, 01:36:00 PM »

As a developer, I've stayed out of these conversations and watched and learned. Having seen all I wish to see, I think I've learned a very valuable lesson.

Some of you out there will never be grateful, will never get off your high horse and will never shut up. GPL is great, it is wonderful. Some people are right about priorities here, and some people are WRONG. To say that this guy should drop what he's doing and get this out for anyone out there to have access to is absurd. The guy said he'd do it when he had the time, and he did it. Make no mistake, the release of his code under GPL is not a life or death situation and shouldn't be treated as an incredibly high priority.

Cryus, I can respect your idealism for GPL and what you have to say. Cool. But remember that you live in reality, not ideality, and just because something should be a certain way doesn't mean it can, will or needs to be that way. Take a deep breath and be happy that it was released, and if it comes to this in the future, try to be happy if someone says they will release their code (even if it's not immediately, god forbid.)

XPort, I have the most sympathy for you. I know what it's like to work on a big project, to put it out because you think everyone will enjoy it and then start getting an amazing amount of bullshit for it. If I were you, I would pull the plug on your releases and not put out any more. You're doing it for your kids, and as long as they are happy, then it's cool. I'm aware that this is group punishment, but if I were in that position, that's what I'd do.

Anyway, I think it's important for a lot of you to remember what you're doing. There's been a lot of drama over this (a LOT of drama) and I know that there's been a lot more people watching that posting. You may be complaining about XPort, or defending him, but I am confident when I say that a lot of developers are watching what is happening. Careful what you say, you may be driving away the people that give you what you all want so badly.

I think I read that a few of you are from the DC scene and don't even have an XBOX or use anything from this scene? If so, why are you here causing trouble for the rest of us?

Personally, I think this is incredibly sad, blown out of proportion and way too idealistic for REAL life.

badmonkey

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2003, 02:21:00 PM »

I haven't read the problem thread all that much (far to big to want to go into late), but was there even anyone else in there besides Cyrus64 that was bitching & whining about Xport?

I gurantee, however many of them there were, they are such a small minority that it wouldn't even be worth counting their opinions.

Xport and all those others that are working hard on making the Xbox scene so cool have nothing but mad respect from me. That goes for the coders of the original programs, and the porters alike. To lose any of them because of a few rotten apples with loud waste holes would be a damn shame.

CyRUS64

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2003, 02:22:00 PM »

xport: I'm not trying to portray you as bad since you've obviously done a lot of good ports for this scene, but my only point was that the gpl should be honoured in all cases and the other thread was a discussion about that, rather than a 'i'm still waiting for him to release it' moan.
You've done that and I'm very greatful and pleased that you have done so.. the case is now closed - if you wanted people to stop discussing it, wait and be patient, then why not just post that you were to release all srcs in a  few days. As far as i knew you weren't even reading the thread. Thx again for releasing srcs, since that has shown you are a 'good' developer.

And actually to whom stated it, I don't have a single xbe or modded xbox actually. I don't even own an xbox even. And the quality of my self-written software is probably up to standards. (http://icarus.boob.co.uk)

Good luck with your  future ports xport wink.gif

Edit:
badmonkey: I wasn't bitching and whining at xport. I not once disrespected him or doubted his abilities. The fact is people in the xbox scene as MANY others stated and not just me are out for the end results without thinking about other consequences - there is a serious issue with the gpl that has now been honoured.  Period.

kaioshade

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2003, 02:30:00 PM »

all who bitched for the source better release something, otherwise their bitching was for nothing. personally i dont understand this whole "situation"

CyRUS64

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2003, 02:35:00 PM »

Kaioshade: Its called the general public license. Basically if you use someone else's source code for a project, you must release the source code of any derivative projects.

Mechazilla

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2003, 02:38:00 PM »

CyRUS64 you are a bad omen.

guile

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2003, 02:41:00 PM »

QUOTE (XPort @ May 16 2003, 08:54 PM)
Additionally - yes I have obviously spoken with linuzappz about the BIOS issue because truly the only people who should be involved in such discussions are me, linuzappz, and Pete.  

Cyruss- I think that pretty much sumz it up here. I think YOU are WAY more involved in this then you should be. I'm really
starting to think this "crusade" of your's is tired and weak. Give it up already. No disrespect but I think you have lost a LOT
of credibility. You are trying to "bend" things to your advantage too often and anybody with half a brain can see it. First,
you were trying to "get people to see your point", but now it's turned into something else. I'm sorry but I think you should just give it up already. Quite frankly I'm surprised so many people have gone out of their way to entertain you with
responses. You might be a talented coder but I think you have issues.
g

Beelzebud

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2003, 02:41:00 PM »

We got your point Cyrus...  The GPL has been honored.   Either go get the source and compile your own copies or go back to Dreamcast Land.  You aren't adding anything constructive to the communtiy so why don't you just quietly go away now that you've had your crusade.

ChrisF

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2003, 02:45:00 PM »

Small group mentality thing.  Everybody trying to stake claim in an internet pissing contest.  It's the same everywhere.  Perspective is lost and everyone gets concerned with being right.  Of course no one ever caves or gets off their soap boxes so it just runs wild.

Xport, you are doing a great job and a huge service to everyone who uses your products.  Your products are one of the main reasons I chose to mod my xbox.  I also think you have a healthy view on life and reality.  Some people are so caught up in their computers they fail to see what's really important.

If someone wanted the code.  They should have just asked.  If someone thought it was necessary for you to release all your codes.  They should have asked for that also.  So it took a week.  Big deal.  Who cares.  Would these people rather have an emulator or some code.  I'll take the emulator over the code anyday.  It's not like there's a huge demand for this code.  No one has ever even asked for it before.  I guess the whole intellectual property thing is an issue but attacking someone over this is just rediculous.  

I sincerely hope that someone utilizes the code to improve a product rather than just pontificate on some bullshit web board.  It's almost like critics - if you don't work to create something and add value - don't judge the work of others so harshly.

This post has been edited by ChrisF: May 16 2003, 09:47 PM

oswald

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2003, 02:54:00 PM »

Indeed.  Xport is the best thing that's happened to the Xbox mod scene since the Xbox mod scene.  Thank the man, don't give him a hard time.  Did people bitch at Santa Claus for breaking into their house? Naw, they take his loot with shit eating grins.

Nsane77

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2003, 02:59:00 PM »

Cyrus here is a way you can make us all happy..I just visited your site and it looks like you have a pretty good handle on the Dreamcast Scene. You can donate your code if its not GPL to xport for our next surprise emu. That is if xport doesnt give us all the big FU for all this complaining.

xport this stuff is great. please dont let it keep you from doing what you enjoy.  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9