xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: My Response  (Read 2647 times)

CyRUS64

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2003, 10:46:00 AM »

Thanks for doing the right thing xport and releasing the source as per required... your reasons are fully understandable but if you port gpl code then anyone rightfully has the right to request the sources. Perhaps you'd consider getting a sf page to host these on like xbmp has done.

rhawk79

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2003, 11:11:00 AM »

i'm just glad to hear that you didn't get shut down by sony or MS about pscxbox.  i was afraid of that.

also, question, on the 13th, pscx 1.5 came out....is pcsxbox based on that?

pez

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2003, 11:16:00 AM »

Xport, your reply was very eloquently stated.

In particular, your explanation that what you were doing was for your kids is enough for me to be able to understand your point of view. I mean, how cool is it that you're able to write these things to bring that smile to your kids' faces? biggrin.gif

As you already said, a nice side effect of being able to make your own kids happy is that you've also made a lot of other kids (and grown-up kids laugh.gif) happy with your work.

Those people who went and made the most outrageous personal attacks are simply ignorant and immature.

Enkak

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2003, 11:22:00 AM »

I felt sorta the same way with a lot of stuff i do in real life. Like i continue to do certain things because that makes some people happy and that makes it worth it, even that sometimes i feel a little down because of other people.

Thats normal i think. Glad everything is a little normal and calm here lately. And dare i say, a little nicer lately in the foruns too hehe.

Good luck for your future man happy.gif

XPort

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2003, 11:23:00 AM »

Cyrus - I would have been much more receptive to your reply if you had not included
a "but" in it.   You need to learn to be more patient.

Regarding sourceforge - it requires valid contact information which I do not
wish to provide.  

ryan44934

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2003, 11:33:00 AM »

Hey xport you forgot one saying...... "No good deed goes unpunnished".

I read all the post being made about you. I had no idea what the GPL was. So i actually went on the net to look it up. I read enough about it. I decided, (IMO) that if people were to bitch like they were it was redicoulous. I they *really* wanted the source that badly they could have requested and like you said, not complained. Now I'm 18, not a kid and not an adult in my opinion anyway. I have the courtesy to at least not bash people after they did something nice. I also think those who did should not be excused by age. I would like to assume that the general Xbox community is somewhat more intelligent than the average highschoolers (and college) students. They bit the hand that fed them and now that i think that all this has come out the way it did we may start to feel a ripple efect from other programmers. Im no coder. But i wouldnt want to do it for free for the complaining basterds. Just my take

--Ryan

This post has been edited by ryan44934: May 16 2003, 06:34 PM

CyRUS64

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2003, 11:43:00 AM »

ryan: But you wouldn't want to work on a project for several years, release source with the condition that any subsequent projects using your code release source also, only to have someone use your code without source release.

Xport: You haven't provided  any email contact and the discussions here were not a sign of impatience but literally a discussion on the gpl and your clear violations of it. Saying 'i'll release source in my own time' frankly isn't good enough. It's all cleared up now and I thank you for that so all can be laid to rest.

And no patronizing 'You need to be more patient'.. I could just as easily say 'You need to learn to obey legal and moral ethics with regards to others' projects'. I hope also that you have discussed the matter of packaging psx bios' in your binary release of pcsxbox with linuzappz/pete.

-CyRUS

This post has been edited by CyRUS64: May 16 2003, 06:45 PM

c-2

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2003, 11:45:00 AM »

thanx alot Xport .. keep up the good work :]  

guile

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2003, 12:00:00 PM »

QUOTE (CyRUS64 @ May 16 2003, 08:07 PM)

Xport: You haven't provided  any email contact and the discussions here were not a sign of impatience but literally a discussion on the gpl and your clear violations of it. Saying 'i'll release source in my own time' frankly isn't good enough. It's all cleared up now and I thank you for that so all can be laid to rest.

And no patronizing 'You need to be more patient'.. I could just as easily say 'You need to learn to obey legal and moral ethics with regards to others' projects'. I hope also that you have discussed the matter of packaging psx bios' in your binary release of pcsxbox with linuzappz/pete.

-CyRUS

And I thought I always had to have the "last word". Cut the guy some slack Cyruss!
g

the joker

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2003, 12:01:00 PM »

Aye.

I've had the pleasure to be a hangout-friend on the 'net with Xport for a while, and he's not the guy that would abuse a bit of any info. However, programmers main problem is non-programmers, or worse yet - people that think your sourcecode will give them anything to learn of, when the truth is that GPL code is usually so messed up that it's impossible to change a single #define in it.

XBOX-scene's programmers have one single reward : good feedback and the feeling of have made a difference.

Oh wait : not only do programmers program for everyone - but they even run a tight risk doing so.  People hardly dare to have an XBE on their site - imagine how risky it is to develop something.
So please, NEVER *EVER* demand anything - nor complain to a programmer that programs for the xbox.... and speaking about someone in their own class like Xport, awesome programmer - great guy..  Hell, I wouldnt even tell him "dude" if he drank my cola.

Kudos Xport, Hope they didn't budge your desire to keep porting smile.gif

-Team avalaunch

p.s. CyRUS64, by having an XBE (which I assume), you should also follow the laws and go turn yourself to the nearest authority. After all - you do seem eager that people follow the "rules". Frankly, I'd prefer if you never ever touched a modified xbox ever again, because it's simply not made for you. People like you make the quality of software SUCK.

Mage

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2003, 12:06:00 PM »

Hey Cyrus64, keep the GPL idealogy in the OTHER thread.

Anyways Xport, I agree with you regarding contact informatin.  Why take the risk of that 1% legal threat happening, when you can avoid it.  Most people tend to forget regardless of what is said here, MS can try to take you to court, and that's where you have to dispute it.  Why take such a chance?  For some hobby?  You've already stated, and have correct, that your family is more important.

Thanks for all the work, and now I can play Legend of Mana on the xbox. smile.gif
It is seeing the scene come back that makes me want to resume my project.

Keep up all the good work!   beerchug.gif

chilin_dude

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2003, 12:11:00 PM »

QUOTE ( @ --)
Now that things have died down a bit, I shall give my response to this situation
and all the rude/damning/inconsiderate/untrue things that have been written about me.

First and foremost - let's gain some true perspective on everything.  Think about what
all of this truly means.  By "all of this" I'm referring to the following : XBox, emulation,
GPL, XDK, BIOS files, source code, etc.  There are people that would argue that some
of those topics ( or certain facets of those topics ) are very important, but one must
remember that it's all relative.  What is important to one person is not necessarily
important to another.  Please note - I am not saying that when two people have
differing priorities that it is OK for one of them to totally disregard the other.
For example, let's say you read about a child in a third-world country that just died
from starvation.  It's sad, but since it's one of those depressing tidbits that
we constantly hear, it's usually dismissed almost immediately.  Now imagine that
you are the parent of that dead child.  Suddenly things are quite different.

If the above analogy seems spurious to you, then I'll use the spe¦86úFˆæ½ã SPCÓª9

This truely is the greatest post i have ever read on xbox-scene forums, i have never read all posts this long, however because it came from such a well known charactor in the xbox-scene i decided i should.
Upon reading it, it shows us multiple things about Xport, his life and why he does the work he does. I am gratefull for Xport speaking out like this, it puts it all into perspective, think about it. Here we are all hoping some even complaing about the psx emu not being good enough (when it is damned amazing in my opinion) but a kid in a 3rd world country couldn't even play psx games even if he was given the system.

I really do feel for you Xport and i know what a tough time you must be having with youre Dad, lets just say i have a few things in common with you there and i really understand the pain you must be going through. I also do feel for you about your recent friend.

However I agree with all the things that are inportant to you, i mean when you think abuot it the xbox isn't really that important, we could live without it, but without a family we would be nothing.

So think about this next time your asking for a update for an emu, i know that this sure as hell has opened my eyes, and you can tell this is a feeling everyone has from the other coders who have spoken supporting him.

Keep up the great work Xport and i hope that everything is OK in your life.

HeLiuM

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2003, 12:22:00 PM »

QUOTE (CyRUS64 @ May 16 2003, 08:07 PM)
ryan: But you wouldn't want to work on a project for several years, release source with the condition that any subsequent projects using your code release source also, only to have someone use your code without source release.

Xport: You haven't provided  any email contact and the discussions here were not a sign of impatience but literally a discussion on the gpl and your clear violations of it. Saying 'i'll release source in my own time' frankly isn't good enough. It's all cleared up now and I thank you for that so all can be laid to rest.

-CyRUS

alright, ive gotta ask.
WHY THE H**L DO YOU CARE????
what could you possibly do with HIS work that would be so amazing that you need it?

i swear man
i hate leeches

the source you want is there, go port it yourself.

and about the legality, chances are the bios you most often use on that xbox of yours contain MS code. so maybe you should click the little house up there at the top of your screen, and stay far far away from this site of brooding evil

This post has been edited by HeLiuM: May 16 2003, 07:27 PM

XPort

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2003, 12:30:00 PM »

Cyrus - You're once again demonstrating the wrong way to go about things.  Your tone, which I believe I'm reading correctly, is hostile and arrogant.  I've given more than reasonable explanations for why source was not distributed beforehand.  I do not give out my email addresses for obvious reasons.  If you were truly interested in hearing from me, you could have PM'd me on these forums - which is how I've been communicating with Linuzappz and Pete.  

I do not believe I'm being patronizing when I say that you need to be more patient.  You made at least four separate posts in the last 2 days in that "GPL" thread directly relating to how I should release the source code.  You also made three of the same nature in less than 24 hours from when v1 was released.  

Additionally - yes I have obviously spoken with linuzappz about the BIOS issue because truly the only people who should be involved in such discussions are me, linuzappz, and Pete.  

I really do not understand why you are so intent on portraying me as "the bad guy."   Your last post seemed to make that motivation clear with your additional BIOS comment.  It appears you are looking for more ways that you can complain about a subject that does not directly relate to you.  I have been diligently working on this matter (with what little free time I have) since it all started in order to appease linuzappz and Pete.  Even now, after it should be put to rest once and for all, I'm still receiving grief for it.  

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
My Response
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2003, 12:32:00 PM »

Firstly, I'd like to apoligize to you, Xport, if you viewed my posts as against you in the other thread. I think you're one of the only developers that do it "the right way", so to speak (except about packaging the BIOS with PCSXBox, but that's a forgivable 'sin' smile.gif ).
I do believe that, if you ever get the proper hosting, that you should release sources to the ports that are under the GPL, but since no one has specifically asked you about all the other ones, it looks like it can wait.
Then again, I'm not a developer or a 'distributer', so my opinion isn't going to be held in high regards. smile.gif
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9