xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Online Feature Revealed!  (Read 1300 times)

Rwolf

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Online Feature Revealed!
« on: May 04, 2005, 08:51:00 PM »

Bill Gates released some outstanding information regarding Xbox 360 online capabilites in a press meeting earlier today! I dunno if i understood it correctly, but the Xbox 360 owners will be able to buy games from XboxLive right at home, and download it directly to the Xbox 360 HDD via Xbox Live! Of course this proves that X360 will have HDD support, and in other news, Hell has officially frozen over! <

Ballz2TheWallz

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 08:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rwolf @ May 5 2005, 01:46 AM)
Bill Gates released some outstanding information regarding Xbox 360 online capabilites in a press meeting earlier today! I dunno if i understood it correctly, but the Xbox 360 owners will be able to buy games from XboxLive right at home, and download it directly to the Xbox 360 HDD via Xbox Live! Of course this proves that X360 will have HDD support, and in other news, Hell has officially frozen over!

any proof,and there asses better give me my full 15,000kbps that money better go to bandwith so im not downloading for days what should only take hours
 <

Ubugmetoo

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 08:56:00 PM »

Well the HDD was not too big of a surprise...  :blink: <

icedoutxbox

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 09:34:00 PM »

they better have at least 80 gb HDs <

SpectralWolf

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 09:58:00 PM »

The size of the drive better be huge. I wonder if they will have some kind of backup or re-download option for the money we spend.

I realize a 40 or 80 GB HDD is pretty huge, but I can see limits with saves, music, demos, a library of games "micro-downloads", etc.

I take it developers won't rely on the HDD for virtual memory needs?
 <

Johnny Vodka

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 10:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(SpectralWolf @ May 5 2005, 02:53 AM)
The size of the drive better be huge. I wonder if they will have some kind of backup or re-download option for the money we spend.

I realize a 40 or 80 GB HDD is pretty huge, but I can see limits with saves, music, demos, a library of games "micro-downloads", etc.

I take it developers won't rely on the HDD for virtual memory needs?

a 40 gig isn't that big when you look at games and stuff. I have a HDD in my ps2 and it can only hold like 10 games. <

mgamer20o0

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 10:06:00 PM »

i think its a good idea for the game industry for downloadable games but may not be that grate for the gamers. yes they maybe able to get the games a little cheaper, but then you cant let friends borrow it or what happens if the date gets corrupted?

This post has been edited by mgamer20o0: May 5 2005, 05:07 AM <

XxXDarkwraitHXxX

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 10:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(mgamer20o0 @ May 4 2005, 06:01 PM)
i think its a good idea for the game industry for downloadable games but may not be that grate for the gamers. yes they maybe able to get the games a little cheaper, but then you cant let friends borrow it or what happens if the date gets corrupted?

Xbox 360 Live will probably log your xbox in their servers so that you could just re-download the games if your hdd crashes. <

Mr_Metabolism

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 10:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rwolf @ May 5 2005, 01:46 AM)
in other news, Hell has officially frozen over!

Sounds a bit suspect. <

redwolf

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 10:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(XxXDarkwraitHXxX @ May 5 2005, 03:33 AM)
Xbox 360 Live will probably log your xbox in their servers so that you could just re-download the games if your hdd crashes.

yeah and you may be downloading level by level or stream load..etc rather then download the FULL games.

Anyway thats just a theory  :) <

PerfectModifications

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 11:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(redwolf @ May 4 2005, 09:46 PM)
yeah and you may be downloading level by level or stream load..etc rather then download the FULL games.

Anyway thats just a theory  :)

I believe something along the lines of streaming will be employed too, because with a 40GB or 80GB HD, it won't hold that many games.

I have a 250GB HD in my Xbox and it holds about 50 games, but of course, they're not going to have a 250GB HD in XBOX360.

Even if they did though, what if someone wanted to buy 51 XBOX360 games over Xbox Live??

This is why I'm pretty sure they're going to employ some type of streaming...also it will help prevent against piracy rather than downloading the full game on the HD. <

XxXDarkwraitHXxX

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 05:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(PerfectModifications @ May 4 2005, 07:54 PM)
I believe something along the lines of streaming will be employed too, because with a 40GB or 80GB HD, it won't hold that many games.

I have a 250GB HD in my Xbox and it holds about 50 games, but of course, they're not going to have a 250GB HD in XBOX360.

Even if they did though, what if someone wanted to buy 51 XBOX360 games over Xbox Live??

This is why I'm pretty sure they're going to employ some type of streaming...also it will help prevent against piracy rather than downloading the full game on the HD.

I think that the 360 will include a HDD formater disk or built in software of some type. Plus, streaming a game, over many miles, would be REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY SLOW! The lag would be unbearable. <

mikeandbandit

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2005, 05:48:00 AM »

to get a clearer understanding of how it works visit phantom.net in addition, user saves are saved to the haard drive the xbox live lets you download it, but it also keeps a record of which games you have previously purchased server side,

does everyone see the rumors that surrounded the xbox all coming into view?

anyway yes the games are streamed and yes expect to be able to play xbox 1 games ;) <

mastergwaha

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2005, 08:24:00 AM »

jesus people. havent you guys read mikes other post about that? ha!

well anyways if you tink its lame why dont you look at:

www.direct2drive.com

oh and anyone download HL2 from valve? or CS:S? well there you go. works fine with normal methods i can only feel taht it will get better with infinium labs stuff ^^ <

xb_xpmoder

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2005, 12:01:00 PM »

Ya i downloaded cs:s hl2 from steam after my hdd had to be formated, it worked fine and i had no problems what so ever. <