xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Xbox 2 Facts Revealed  (Read 6446 times)

cr_blah_blah

• Archived User
Xbox 2 Facts Revealed
« on: March 08, 2005, 02:24:00 PM »

The Guts of the Next Box

CPU - Xenon's CPU has three 3.0 GHz PowerPC cores. Each core is capable of two instructions per cycle and has an L1 cache with 32 KB for data and 32 KB for instructions. The three cores share 1 MB of L2 cache. Alpha 2 developer kits currently have two cores instead of three.

GPU - Xenon's GPU is a generation beyond the ATI X800. Its clock speed is 500 MHz and it supports Shader 3.0. Developers are currently working with an alpha 2 GPU. Beta GPU units are expected by May and the final GPU is slated for a summer release. The final GPU will be more powerful than anything on the market today; in game terms, it would handle a game like Half-Life 2 with ease.

System Memory - Xenon will have 256 MB of system RAM. Keep in mind that this number should not be equated to typical PC RAM. The Xbox has 64 MB of system RAM and is a very capable machine.

Optical Drive - As many have speculated, Xenon will not use Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Games will come on dual-layer DVD-9 discs. While the media is the same as that of the current Xbox, the usable space on each disc is up to 7 GB. The drive is slated to run at 12X.

Memory Units - Xenon will use 64 MB to 1,024 MB memory cards. 8 MB is reserved for system use, leaving a 56 MB to 1,016 MB for user data.

Hard Drive - As many have speculated, Xenon's hard drive is optional. 2 GB of the drive will be used as game cache. The final drive size is still being determined.

Camera - Xenon will have a USB 2.0 camera. It's capable of 1.2 megapixel still shots and VGA video. Photos can be used in-game and for gamer profiles. The camera can also be used for video chat. It's unknown if the Xenon camera will allow for EyeToy-like gameplay. Developers are currently using a simulated camera driver.

Sound Chip - Xenon does not have an audio chip in the traditional sense. Decompression is handled by hardware, while the rest of the chores are handled by software. DirectSound3D has been dropped in favor of X3DAudio. The former was deemed too inflexible.

The Software

MS is requiring developers to make all Xenon titles Live enabled. One of the key reasons for this will be revealed in the second part of this story.

Developers are being instructed to plan their games for high-definition. The baseline is 720p at 1280x720 for gameplay and video clips, 16:9 aspect ratio, 5.1 Surround Sound, and anti-aliasing. These features are the current minimum requirement.

All Xenon games can be played using custom soundtracks. Owners can also play their own music directly. Supported formats are MP3 and WMA. Files can be encoded up to 320Kbps CBR or VBR stereo. The system is branded a Music Player Service.

For gameplay movies, Xenon uses Xenon Motion Video (XMV). XMV is based on Windows Media 9 and uses the mandatory codec for HD-DVD. The goal for video is 720p running at 30 frames per second with 5.1 Surround Sound.

http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/MS-xbox/594331p1.html <

SkateorDie

• Archived User
Xbox 2 Facts Revealed
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 02:44:00 PM »

thanks, intriguing read. <

whet1134

• Archived User
Xbox 2 Facts Revealed
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 03:00:00 PM »

Must... fight... my... excitement...

Rational... skepticism... weakening...

Oh God...

HOLY... FUCKING... SHIT!   :o

I really really really hope alot of that information is true.  I also hope a lot of it is false.  Still holding on to that RUMOR label.  ;)

PROS:
1. Optional HDD - Did the author make that sound as though the HDD would be used as a performance booster?
2. 3x3.0Ghz Cores - Most skeptical of this, STILL, but it seems to hold more water now.
3. MP3 support - Fan-fucking-tastic!  Finally, MS listens to the masses!  Our cries have not fallen on deaf ears!
4. X800+ performance - Knew it, wasn't surprised.  Nice to see mentioned in the article though.
5. X3DAudio - Glad to hear DirectSound3D was abandoned for something more Hi quality.  7.1 here we come?
6. USB 2.0 - Will we be able to use our DiskOnKeys for memory cards???

CONS:
1. Standard DVD drive - Oh well, I'm still holding out the DVD Forum/HD-DVD producers get their ass in gear.
2. The Camera - Whooptie-goddamn-do.  I don't like the Eye-Toy and I don't think I'll like this.  Maybe it will have uses, but I'm not excited about this price boosting waste of plastic.  This must be meant to win over the Japanese crowd.  <_<
3. Hardware decompressed Audio - Is this as bad as it sounds? <

TheMarine

• Archived User
Xbox 2 Facts Revealed
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 03:03:00 PM »

sounds pretty accurete.. but I'd like to see more detailed info.. <

hb2k

• Archived User
Xbox 2 Facts Revealed
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 03:33:00 PM »

so with three processers that is like 9.0 ghz?  other than that i dont seem to impresed.  i was thinking like 1 gig ram  and bigger discs. <

Shinamano

• Archived User
Xbox 2 Facts Revealed
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 03:42:00 PM »

Sounds impressive...though I can only wonder if Sony decides to include a HD will MS follow suit? I could really care less either way as long as i get my Halo 3, Ninja Gaiden 2 and a new resident Evil. <

Vayate

• Archived User
Xbox 2 Facts Revealed
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 03:44:00 PM »

I can't help but think how awesome this will be if/when the Xbox-Linux team can finally crack this machine. It'll be many times faster than any PC in my house, AND it will be relatively inexpensive. <

Shinamano

• Archived User
Xbox 2 Facts Revealed
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 03:55:00 PM »

By the way how are these facts? Has MS announced this or is it more speculation? <

cr_blah_blah

• Archived User
Xbox 2 Facts Revealed
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 04:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(Shinamano @ Mar 8 2005, 09:50 PM)
By the way how are these facts? Has MS announced this or is it more speculation?

GDC is going on right now and they've taken the specs from the alpha build and projected there. The Alpha build is what they've seen so while not everything is set in stone it is pretty close <

LenteSubigo

• Archived User
Xbox 2 Facts Revealed
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 04:12:00 PM »

The cpu isn't as impressive as I had expeted.  3Ghz capable of 6 instructions per cycle, compared a 2.2Ghz Atlon XP at 9 instructions per cycle.

Xbox 2 cpu - 18 Billion instructions per second.
Athlon XP 3200+ - 19.8 Billion instructions per second.

So, the Xbox 2 doesn't beat the best PC's CPU speeds.  But, it also doesn't have a large OS to eat up alot of the power.  So, the xbox 2 should be able to match or beat the best computers, but not by much.

The 256Mb of system ram is pleanty, because there isn't a huge os to steal most of the ram like a pc, and programmers can use the memory much more effeciently.  So 256Mb for the xbox = 1Gb for the PC.

There is 1 thing I don't like about the xbox 2 specs.  It doesn't have support for HD-DVD media.  I would like to see it support HD-DVD media, but sell any games that don't require the extra space on dual layer original dvd's.

I also don't like the idea of important pieces of hardware being optional(Hard Drive.)  

And I would be willing to bet that M$ will not include the usb2.0 camera in the default hardware, it will be an optional accessory. <

Shinamano

• Archived User
Xbox 2 Facts Revealed
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 04:25:00 PM »

I knew that the GDC was going on, but I still thought that the NextBox would remain unseen until E3. As for the camera I hope it is an accessory...I dont want one...I would rather have a Hard Drive standard with the option to 'upgrade' to a better one rather then have the hardware left out, and as for the multiple models idea I hate it...this is a console...damn I really just want the games but I think that if MS wants to compete with Sony they have to match what Sony does with the PS3...such as if PS# has a HD then Xbox better ect ect...we must remember than the general public are like cattle lemmings and will buy into whatever sounds like it has more features, and the only reason I care is because the more people that own the console the more games that get made for it...*I'm done...sorry* <

Wedding-shirt

• Archived User
Xbox 2 Facts Revealed
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 04:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(LenteSubigo @ Mar 8 2005, 04:07 PM)
The cpu isn't as impressive as I had expeted.  3Ghz capable of 6 instructions per cycle, compared a 2.2Ghz Atlon XP at 9 instructions per cycle.

Xbox 2 cpu - 18 Billion instructions per second.
Athlon XP 3200+ - 19.8 Billion instructions per second.

So, the Xbox 2 doesn't beat the best PC's CPU speeds.  But, it also doesn't have a large OS to eat up alot of the power.  So, the xbox 2 should be able to match or beat the best computers, but not by much.

The 256Mb of system ram is pleanty, because there isn't a huge os to steal most of the ram like a pc, and programmers can use the memory much more effeciently.  So 256Mb for the xbox = 1Gb for the PC.

There is 1 thing I don't like about the xbox 2 specs.  It doesn't have support for HD-DVD media.  I would like to see it support HD-DVD media, but sell any games that don't require the extra space on dual layer original dvd's.

I also don't like the idea of important pieces of hardware being optional(Hard Drive.) 

And I would be willing to bet that M$ will not include the usb2.0 camera in the default hardware, it will be an optional accessory.

I am a bit dissapointed with the specs. I don't know about the CPU info you gave as I have no idea how that works.

But I think it's a mistake to not use HD-DVD instead of DVD-9.

As far as the RAM, I understand that 256 is more than on the PC but i'm comparing to the PS3 which will include 512 MB and the X-box has much less.

Also they should've included the HD with the system. It just makes sense considering Sony is planning to.

I truly am not very impressed.

I'm still going to buy it as soon as it comes out but I also bought a Japaneese Dreamcast and 3DO so that's no great feat.
 <

Wedding-shirt

• Archived User
Xbox 2 Facts Revealed
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 04:53:00 PM »

One more thing, the link this guy provided doesn't work and I haven't seen this reported at any other site. <

anjilslaire

• Archived User
Xbox 2 Facts Revealed
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2005, 03:56:00 PM »

Here
http://xbox.gamespy.com/

Click the big link
"The Next Xbox:
A Gamespy Exclusive"
It'll take you to the story. I tried the link, and it's bad, but the main GS link takes you to the same url. weird.

cr_blah_blah

• Archived User
Xbox 2 Facts Revealed
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 05:14:00 PM »

the link won't work because on the forum it changes "MS" to "MS"

BTW, it's not using a single 3.0GHz core, it's using 3
"Xenon's CPU has three 3.0 GHz PowerPC cores" <
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9