xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wired/wireless Issue  (Read 921 times)

hibby70

• Archived User
Wired/wireless Issue
« on: May 04, 2006, 11:40:00 AM »

Hi, my problem is that I connect my 360 with the wireless nic with no problems but im trying to play HD content and need to connect via wired lan to get the required bandwidth to play them.

The problem ive got is that I cant connect wired via a router so im using my laptop as a "man in the middle"... it connects to my wireless network and i use a cross over cable from the laptop to the xbox 360.  

Unfortunately I cant get the xbox to recognise the laptop (media centre os) it just fails, ive tried auto setings and tried to set the network config manually but nohing has worked... any tips would be appreciated as this is now doing my head in and I havent seen lost for over three weeks now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)(

Thanks in advance for any help given!

HaloRegulator

• Archived User
Wired/wireless Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 11:56:00 AM »

Hmm... a) You can play HD content with the wireless adapter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) Connecting to your laptop that is connected to your wireless network is completely pointless and will probably give worse performance than using the adapter itself. Maybe I don't quite understand what you're trying to accomplish.

This post has been edited by HaloRegulator: May 4 2006, 07:16 PM

hibby70

• Archived User
Wired/wireless Issue
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 12:08:00 PM »

the HD content will be on the laptop, the laptop connects to the wireless network to access the internet for xbox live (hopefully).
the wired to the laptop is to ensure I dont get network dropouts and congestion as im getting that just now on wireless, hence now going wired... hope this clears it up a tad.

HaloRegulator

• Archived User
Wired/wireless Issue
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 12:15:00 PM »

Ah, now I understand. Do you have internet connection sharing set up on the laptop? I don't know if you need that just to connect to the laptop for watching content, but you will need it to connect to Live through the laptop.

hibby70

• Archived User
Wired/wireless Issue
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 12:21:00 PM »

Yeah got that setup but i think the problem is that the 360 looks to acquire an ip address from my router but im not sure if it can see my router via the laptop?
So i also tried to assign the 360 a static ip but it still doesnt communicate with th .elaptop, the stats on the lan from the laptop says that packets are being sent but nothing received??.. ive also switched off the fire wall but still nothing

hibby70

• Archived User
Wired/wireless Issue
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 12:47:00 PM »

Lets simplfy this.. im not to bothered about getting xbox live as ill get that using my wireless network.

So my problem is that im connecting the laptop (media centre os) to my 360 using a single cable (ive got both cross over and a standard cat5..which one is right??) theres no router involved hence no dhcp.  What should my settings be on the 360 and the nic on the laptop.

thanks again

hibby70

• Archived User
Wired/wireless Issue
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 03:53:00 AM »

Problem solved!  biggrin.gif