xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Making Exact Copies Of Xbox Games  (Read 1040 times)

Chettaman

• Archived User
Making Exact Copies Of Xbox Games
« on: December 30, 2004, 12:29:00 PM »

I'm trying to find out if it's possible to make an exact copy of Xbox games and have them play on your Xbox without a chip being installed? I had an Executer 2.3 chip, but had some problems with it not letting me be able to FTP to my Xbox so the Mod Chip idea went out the window. I've been reading some of the stuff on the forum and I was wondering if the games could be copied "perfectly" that it could be read like it was the original game without having a chip installed and adding an extra dashboard on to the hard drive. dry.gif  uhh.gif

Griffen37

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 12:34:00 PM »

Theoretically, yes, it is possible.  You would have to somehow sign the disc with code that MS uses to authenticate the games.  Practically, it can't be done, or there would be no need to mod the xbox to run unsigned code.  But you don't "need" a chip if you mod via soft-mod exploits.  Read more guides and tutorials before asking this kind of question in the future.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 12:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chettaman @ Dec 30 2004, 08:24 PM)
I'm trying to find out if it's possible to make an exact copy of Xbox games and have them play on your Xbox without a chip being installed? I had an Executer 2.3 chip, but had some problems with it not letting me be able to FTP to my Xbox so the Mod Chip idea went out the window. I've been reading some of the stuff on the forum and I was wondering if the games could be copied "perfectly" that it could be read like it was the original game without having a chip installed and adding an extra dashboard on to the hard drive. dry.gif  uhh.gif

Without having a chip installed: Yes.  (ie Softmod, TSOP flash)

Without having an alternate Dashboard: NO!!!!!!!!  You need to have an alternate dashboard in order to FTP the original disc over to your PC and make a working backup.  Only the XBOX can read XBOX original discs and only an alternative dash can allow you to FTP the original discs over.  I believe you can run an alternative dash from a DVD-R and have it work that way but don't ask me how to do it.  It definitely works better once it is installed to your HD.  

Chettaman

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 12:36:00 PM »

Thanks for the info.

tutyet

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 12:37:00 PM »

well anybody can do it!

all you need is....

1. a dvd writers ms use.

they only cost about 10000! and they are very easy to find! (i am being sarcastic)

so who needs a modchip for 50 when you can buy the actual writer for 10000!

muhaha.gif  muhaha.gif  muhaha.gif  muhaha.gif  muhaha.gif  muhaha.gif  muhaha.gif  muhaha.gif  muhaha.gif  muhaha.gif  muhaha.gif  muhaha.gif

samoyeds_4life

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 01:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(tutyet @ Dec 30 2004, 08:32 PM)

1. a dvd writers ms use.

The term is "pressing" at the commercial level.  And, MS isn't in the business of manufacturing retail discs.  

Since people have brought up soft mods, I'd suggest you look around before going that route.  A perfectly good chip will only cost you $20.  The supplies you will need to solder it will only cost you about $15.  Of course, you have a chance of screwing up your XBox if you don't know how to solder, but you have a chance of screwing up your XBox if you don't know how to soft mod, also.  For $35, learn to solder.  Find an old 2400 baud modem and practice on it.  That's what I did.  I ordered the chip and went to Radio Shack the same day.  In the 4 days it took for the chip to arrive in the mail, I spent a whoppin' 2 hours practicing my soldering skills (had none prior) and was able to do my own install without any problems.

There are some games that seem to have problems with soft mods.  Check the forums.  I'd bet ya 75%+ of the problems you see people talking about are from soft modded XBoxes.