xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Why Cant Pc-dvd-roms Read Xbox Cd's?  (Read 1239 times)

bruce1271

• Archived User
Why Cant Pc-dvd-roms Read Xbox Cd's?
« on: May 27, 2003, 08:25:00 PM »

Looking to write some code in linux to perhaps overcome this issue. It seems like it is definitely a software issue and shouldnt be too hard to overcome.

hcarlson3

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 08:30:00 PM »

because pc cd/dvd roms read from inside->out, xboxs read from outside->in

bruce1271

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 08:35:00 PM »

Ok, but why do games work when using a pc - dvdrom drive. It must be the software controlling it correct?

Xeero

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 08:39:00 PM »

Originals don't work when using a PC DVD-ROM drive.  This is the outside-in/inside-out data order that hcarlson3 was talking about.  As far as backups, they can be read in a PC, but Windows does not recognize the GDFS file system natively.  A plug-in or Linux implementation really wouldn't be that hard if you knew what you were doing.

GDFS specs are here.

hcarlson3

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 08:42:00 PM »

I thought that the modchip tells the dvd drive in your xbox to read backups the correct way (inside->out) after attempting to read a disc from outside->in

So xbox dvd drives natively read from outside->in, but the modchip tells it to read from inside->out after failing to read from outside->in.  Pc dvd drives only read from inside->out, while original xbox games are not written to the disc that way so pc dvd drives can't read originals without a firmware hack.

This post has been edited by hcarlson3: May 28 2003, 03:45 AM

Xeero

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 08:56:00 PM »

QUOTE (hcarlson3 @ May 28 2003, 12:42 AM)
I thought that the modchip tells the dvd drive in your xbox to read backups the correct way (inside->out) after attempting to read a disc from outside->in

So xbox dvd drives natively read from outside->in, but the modchip tells it to read from inside->out after failing to read from outside->in.  Pc dvd drives only read from inside->out, while original xbox games are not written to the disc that way so pc dvd drives can't read originals without a firmware hack.

Xbox drives do check the outside first, then the inside...but as instructed by their firmware, not the mod chip.  The mod chip pretty much just interrupts the signal that requests a BIOS and sends its own.

Other than that, you're dead on.  As you can probably tell, the manner in which a backup and an original is read is very similar.  Were you able to patch firmware to check the outside first and spin the drive reverse rotationally, the drive could easily read originals.  The Samsung 616T hack combines a firmware and software - you flash the drive with the Xbox stock Samsung 605B firmware and perform a small hardware modification to reverse the phase of the motor. The second step is only done because there is no modification to the firmware - it is only flashed.

diaboliq20

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 02:25:00 AM »

Hi guys - I recently bought an LG DVD-ROM for my PC that was advertised as having reverse spin and being able to read xbox360 and wii discs for backup purposes......so far I've had no luck in getting it to read them - it just sees the 178mb DVD file rather than the game files - do I need to reflasch the drive in order for it to work? or have I simply been mis-sold this item do ya think?
Cheers

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »

Sounds like you were duped. First go talk to the guy that sold you the drive.

Second, Assuming the drive you are speaking of is an LG-8163, they can be MODIFIED to read Wii originals but you also need a PC app to do the copying. For information regarding xbox 360 games, go to the xbox360 forum section.

and for future reference, when you go to the 360 section, have your drive's model number ready, as a courtesy.

obcd

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »

For xbox disks, you need a drive that is reflashed with kreon firmware.
You will also need a special program to rip original disks. Google for xbox + kreon to shine some lights.

regards.