xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Idea: Virtual Pc / Vmware Linux Image With Fatx?  (Read 1017 times)

DaFonz

• Archived User
Idea: Virtual Pc / Vmware Linux Image With Fatx?
« on: January 12, 2005, 05:26:00 PM »

Hi,

To flash the TSOP, I read it requires a patched linux kernel that reads FatX.

Now, downloading kernel, the kernel patches and compiling everything witht he right options, is quite time consuming for rookies. I'm no rookie and sufficiently experienced with linux to pull this off. But I am lazy and don't want to look around for all the necessary files.

So, my idea is for someone to prepare a MIMIMAL linux compilation with FatX support to run raincoat or whatever else, as an IMAGE to Virtual PC and/or VMWare programs.

Since those PC applications simulate hardware, we would not have hardware incompatibility to support that one version of linux.

I am hoping that someone already did all this in VMWare or Virtual PC, rather than on a regular (spare) pc. If so, please share your image file.

Then we won't have to install linux, download kernel, patch kernel, recompile ourselves, but just download the image file and fly off.

FallsInc

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 05:29:00 PM »

or you could just use raincoat... or evox unless you have a winbond or a sharp

DAvidl919

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 06:36:00 PM »

You just made me realize how a certain guy I met locally is able to do an eeprom mod (tsop flash) on a V1.6 . without soldering at all he just straight up opens the box and connects his pc to the box with an ide cable. If he does solder it is minimal and not all versions. That must be the way he does it. He has at least shown me that it is with a linux O.S. I am trying to get him to open up and share his secret but he is being hesistant. I'll share my info if i get it.

DaFonz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 06:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(FallsInc @ Jan 13 2005, 01:53 AM)
or you could just use raincoat... or evox unless you have a winbond or a sharp

I'm talking about having to have a running version of linux ON YOUR PC, to transfer the raincoat files with its linux kernel to the xbox hard drive, either via IDE cable or USB memory.

I don't think the compiled kernel in raincoat runs on a pc.

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 06:40:00 PM »

this can be done in windows now, linux is no longer required

You just made me realize how a certain guy I met locally is able to do an eeprom mod (tsop flash) on a V1.6 . without soldering at all he just straight up opens the box and connects his pc to the box with an ide cable. If he does solder it is minimal and not all versions. That must be the way he does it. He has at least shown me that it is with a linux O.S. I am trying to get him to open up and share his secret but he is being hesistant. I'll share my info if i get it.

eeproms and TSOPs are to ENTIRELY different things

heres the guys secret, he hotswaps the HD and uses xboxhdm to set up a softmod (also entirely different froma TSOP flash) check the softmod forums for more details

DaFonz

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 06:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(DAvidl919 @ Jan 13 2005, 03:00 AM)

This is not a secret.. he got his info like the rest of us, off the net.
And I am pretty sure it is not version 1.6, but 1.5 or older.

The 'trick' is this: You need to transfer some files to your xbox hard drive.

You can do this by connecting the xbox hard drive to your PC, but windows will not read the fatx file system that is on the xbox hard drive. A patched linux version does, and so he installs this on his pc, so he can read the xbox hard drive, and transfer files.

What he transfers are manipulated save-game files for some video games, with a minimal linux for xbox, with a program to rewrite the EEPROM (raincoat). Then start the game, load the save-data I think, which causes the linux you copied to your xbox to start up, and you can flash your EEPROM then.

The minimal soldering is to shortcut a pair of connections on the motherboard to make the EEPROM write-enabled.

DaFonz

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 06:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Jan 13 2005, 03:04 AM)
this can be done in windows now, linux is no longer required
eeproms and TSOPs are to ENTIRELY different things

heres the guys secret, he hotswaps the HD and uses xboxhdm to set up a softmod (also entirely different froma TSOP flash) check the softmod forums for more details

Of course, if it is version 1.6, he must be doing a soft-mod