xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Any Reason To Re-enable Bios Protecton?  (Read 703 times)

shallow1

• Archived User
Any Reason To Re-enable Bios Protecton?
« on: January 08, 2004, 07:40:00 PM »

Im thinking about simply soldering the 2 points together to simplify/ Is there any good reason to have the bios write protected later on?

Frag Daddy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 08:11:00 PM »

Yeah, if you ever want to update the bios on the tsop.

Anomaly

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 08:44:00 PM »

Hmm, yeah that guy really answered the question... dry.gif

Anyway, I always have mine protected just in case. It only takes one screw-up to kill your BIOS and that's reason enough for me.

soon2b

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 09:31:00 PM »

Aside from that: Is it legal for MS to distribute a program (say one that runs before a game in future games) that will test whether or not a BIOS is write protected and overwrite it if it is not (being that there is no doubt it has been altered if it is not write protected)? It would be a bitch if they could legally turn your machine into a paperweight (no matter how good of one it would make ...) if it had been tampered with. What about not allowing the game to be played if the BIOS can be written to (but not actually overwriting the BIOS)?  

Exobex

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 07:20:00 AM »

QUOTE (soon2b @ Jan 9 2004, 06:24 AM)
Aside from that: Is it legal for MS to distribute a program (say one that runs before a game in future games) that will test whether or not a BIOS is write protected and overwrite it if it is not (being that there is no doubt it has been altered if it is not write protected)? It would be a bitch if they could legally turn your machine into a paperweight (no matter how good of one it would make ...) if it had been tampered with. What about not allowing the game to be played if the BIOS can be written to (but not actually overwriting the BIOS)?

This is why I always reprotect them.  If I was a game developer, it'd be the sort of thing I'd do.  At the very least, I could try to retrieve the TSOP chip ID.  A manufacturer/device ID other than 09, 00 indicates that someone's been tampering with the jumpers.  This is another check that Xbox Live could easily implement.

Also, if you're a modder, it stops the end users toasting their BIOS and blaming you for it!