xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Pm3 Skin Development  (Read 2105 times)

Jezz_X

• Archived User
Pm3 Skin Development
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2007, 02:45:00 AM »

OK well I decided since I made the option I better get the ball rolling so to speak so I made 2 color themes for Project Mayhem III Blue and Red

You will need an XBMC higher than Revision: 8909 for these to work proper but they should still work on the current t3ch just the textcolor wont change if you don't have Revision: 8909 or up only the images will

To use them copy the media and PAL folders in the rars to your Project Mayhem III dirs on your xbox then go into settings and select the right theme and restart XBMC. ( The PAL dir contains the TextColor.xml than will change the text, I'm still debating about adding the color changer script )  If you want to change the color back to default (green/yellow) you will need to copy over the default TextColor.xml file

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD BLUE THEME

IPB Image   IPB Image

IPB Image   IPB Image

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD RED THEME

IPB Image   IPB Image

IPB Image   IPB Image

Have fun Hope you guys like

Jezz_X

XBNormUK

• Archived User
Pm3 Skin Development
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »

are these new themes gonna be included with the default skin from now on?

Also, you were asking about tidying up the skin, or maybe giving it a little more life. I would say themes like these look good and are an ideal way. I wouldn't mess with the layout of the skin too much, probably the reason its remained so popular is that it works so well. Admittedly, we all know it looks a little tired but these themes may help that. Also, I am not sure about everyone else but there is something nice and comforting about seeing that oh so familiar skin pop up when you install a new build, or better still rescue a dead console.
As far as cluttering it up, maybe the filemanager, settings and scripts could become buttons, and go below the rss feed along with the shutdown and favourites button. That way there would be two clear menu bars, the traditional vertical one on the left, and then just a bank of shortcut buttons underneath the Rss feed starting from the right. Im sure u know what I mean but if not shout up and i will post a mock up.

Terc

• Archived User
Pm3 Skin Development
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(Jezz_X @ May 14 2007, 05:21 AM) View Post

OK well I decided since I made the option I better get the ball rolling so to speak so I made 2 color themes for Project Mayhem III Blue and Red

You will need an XBMC higher than Revision: 8909 for these to work proper but they should still work on the current t3ch just the textcolor wont change if you don't have Revision: 8909 or up only the images will

To use them copy the media and PAL folders in the rars to your Project Mayhem III dirs on your xbox then go into settings and select the right theme and restart XBMC. ( The PAL dir contains the TextColor.xml than will change the text, I'm still debating about adding the color changer script )  If you want to change the color back to default (green/yellow) you will need to copy over the default TextColor.xml file

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD BLUE THEME

IPB Image   IPB Image

IPB Image   IPB Image

Have fun Hope you guys like

Jezz_X

I have been waiting for this for two years!

Jezz_X

• Archived User
Pm3 Skin Development
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(XBNormUK @ May 15 2007, 02:16 AM) View Post

are these new themes gonna be included with the default skin from now on?

If I can find a way too change font colors better without a script they probably will since they are under 500k each and i recently shaved 8mb off PM3's default.xpr  but until then they are goign to be kept seperate

QUOTE(Terc @ May 15 2007, 04:28 AM) View Post

I have been waiting for this for two years!

hahahaha  biggrin.gif
So what stopped you doing it yourself

Terc

• Archived User
Pm3 Skin Development
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »

I did one for an old version (about 2 years ago) but with all the updates that have been done, it's been hard to keep it working.  Also, I think yours looks much better!

helino

• Archived User
Pm3 Skin Development
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2007, 02:27:00 AM »

I like the new blue theme, great work!

About the issue with the home screen, maybe there could be a Media button instead of one button for each different media type (music,pictures,video).

The problem is that you have to click on more button to get where you want....

Anyway, just a suggestion, thx for a great skin!

mbay

• Archived User
Pm3 Skin Development
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »

thanks, Jezz_X!

skilltronix

• Archived User
Pm3 Skin Development
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »

Hi,
great work on the skin,

I'm not sure if it has been discussed already but there is a graphical error when browsing through the skin, the problem is that the background graphics are out of place passed a certain width on the right side of the screen and unless the video calibration is set large enough it shows up as a graphical bug everywhere in the skin.
I've included some screenshots to help show this.
Pic01
Pic02

Thanks again for all the great work
-Capo

jmarshall

• Archived User
Pm3 Skin Development
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »

You calibrate to cut a portion of the screen off.

You either haven't calibrated correctly (as you still see some of the bit that should be cut off) or you have the skin zoom set incorrectly.

What is appearing outside the calibration box is irrelevant - that's the point of calibration!

gasclown

• Archived User
Pm3 Skin Development
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »

Regarding the home screen busyness...  Perhaps just adding a sixth button to home-buttons.png would keep the purists happy.  I'd suggest using it for settings (settings being a fundamental function like the others on the home button) and having 'scripts' and 'file manager' in the same position as settings and filemanager were.

here's a mockup:
IPB Image

The pattern overlay is not quite the same but you get the point.

Congrats to all involved,  As many good skins as there are nowadays, you can't beat PM3 smile.gif

Jezz_X

• Archived User
Pm3 Skin Development
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »

gasclown its a good idea but once the webbrowser goes in we hit the same problem again
IPB Image

gasclown

• Archived User
Pm3 Skin Development
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »

hmm... might have to go to the other side with a similar/same (perhaps smaller) home_buttons2?  This would of course require changing the mask slightly for bg pics visibility...

kazaaboy

• Archived User
Pm3 Skin Development
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2007, 03:34:00 AM »

How about just making the main buttons scroll???

XBNormUK

• Archived User
Pm3 Skin Development
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2007, 03:44:00 AM »

Not sure how it would look starting a second bank of menu buttons. I still reckon just moving the buttons underneath the RSS would be the way to go, especially if we are gonna see more features requiring access from the home screen.
We could move all the buttons to below the RSS, creating a shortcut bar. Where the buttons are at the mo would be be left blank, until you are actually navigating the buttons (the shortcut bar) and then the name of the button you have highlighted would be displayed, ie, favourites, filemanager, settings etc.
I would probably even go further and try to keymap it so you can change focus, from the menu to the shortcut bar with one press. Ie, you wouldnt have to press down six times to get to the shortcuts, you could either have one button mapped to switch focus, or maybe even just have it do it automatically, being up and down shifts focus to menu, left and right shifts focus to shortcuts.

Here is what im getting at, I am no whizz at graphics so its fairly crude but you get the idea.....

(IMG:http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e352/XBNormUK/screenforshorctutbar-1.jpg)

You can see there would be scope to add as many buttons as required to accomodate future features, and I think it retains the clean uncluttered look of the skin. People could probably quite easily customize the shortcut bar for their own requirements too, ie remove favourites and put in Xlink kai etc.

Anyways, just my thoughts, i would really love to see more developments in PM3 and i think this would do it without compromising on the look.

Jezz_X

• Archived User
Pm3 Skin Development
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »

Here are some updated versions of the themes they are extactly the same just now you can change the colors inside XBMC instead of swapping the Textcolor.xml file all the time

PM3_Blue_Theme_New.rar
PM3_Red_Theme_New.rar

you will need XBMC from this revision up for it to work
Revision: 9045
Author: jmarshallnz
Date: 7:37:48 AM, Tuesday, 22 May 2007
added: Support for skin color themes - done by placing an xml file in <skin name>/colors folder.  <skin name>/colors/defaults.xml is the default color theme (if available).  PM3 updated by Jezz_X to use the new xml layout.
----
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6