xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 49

Author Topic: Release: Vision Beta 1 For Xbmc By Ninet9mustang  (Read 17101 times)

Kautious619

• Archived User
Release: Vision Beta 1 For Xbmc By Ninet9mustang
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 01:35:00 PM »

Wonderful skin  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)  Great work guys!!  Love the navigation sounds and the Home screen

This post has been edited by Kautious619: Mar 19 2007, 08:42 PM

dxg836

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »

Fantastic skin but where has the RSS feed gone?  Could it not be put in a box somewhere near the top of the home screen?

rramoutar

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »

This skin is fantastic. It is so original and such a great use of space. For beta 1 this is really stable and fast.

I do have a few suggestions:

1. I have a 42in plasma that runs widescreen @ 480p. At this resolution the fonts are a little small.
2. I love the List2 view with the big icons on the right. However this view not available under Picture and Programs...can it be added
3. The sidebar does make the settings a bit busy. I like how the system info screen is laid out. i think the setting screens should be like this.

edwinmcdunlap

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »

Awesome, thanks NineT9 smile.gif

weinerschnitzel

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »

This is really neat. I can't think of much to add.
Maybe Wrap List, and adding shadows to the text on the "sidebar."  
I absolutely love this skin.  Especially the little slits for the BG visualizer.

Drack502

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »

First off, This skin blows my mind. It is the best skin out there.

I notice that with stacked movies or video I can't get it to play, most of the skins out there lets you pick from the first part of the video or the second etc. Maybe I'm doing something wrong so if I am can someone please let me know what I'm doing wrong.

One thing I would like to see is a wrap view, just a thought.

Anyway, great job on the skin and keep up the good work.

Thanks

gasclown

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »

Awesome! Congrats to all involved.  biggrin.gif

c-2

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »

cool skin!!

- how come only the Big Wide view under Programs ,  wheres the other wide icon view ?

- in Big Wide the ends fade out way to much and make the icons look weird ..

great work , love the home page :]

sausje

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »

i love u  love.gif

uhm mean the skin  rolleyes.gif  happy.gif

generalnewbie

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »

awesome thanks so much!

PantsOnFire

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »

First Impressions Of Vision...

This skin is really something, and deserves some proper 'first looks' attention, maybe those guys who did a review of MC360 skin would be interested?

I love the look and feel of the skin, beautiful colours from this default (and only) theme at the moment. The coverflow-esque (or at least 'apple-esque') viewing of huge images on the screen I think really brings this in line with other contemporary offerings in the commercial arenas. (such as AppleTV, which (is? or is not out yet).

Big positives in the viewing areas of the skin, tremendous use of space when viewing media libraries and playing also. One suggestion here: I do like the milkdrop vis's, however, maybe something like... (as an extra), when in full-screen mode, to have the album artwork displayed in the centre of the screen. (and with larger font?)

The font, speaking of which, is lovely, very nice on the eyes, however im slightly torn as to whether the dark(ish) blue is the best choice for highlighted areas on the menus/texts). Also, when playing music.. if you return to hte main menu, perhaps the font showing the alb/artist/song details is a bit small? (I have about a 28" tv, not widescreen (tho i wish it was), but this font size was just a bit small for me. The same I felt for the text on media libraries. It could be said that since this is quite obviously a highly visual skin, that text is not quite so important (since we now have huge displays for the artworks (if using "View: List 2" especially). But it may be something to think about. Just an idea.

When playing music, the main menu displays the cover art in the 'utility belt' area (sorry, not official terms here, just my interperetation); which is a nice touch.

File manager, scripts, weather and settings are tucked away nicely. I do very much like this aspect. I live with a female and she just wants something to watch media/listen media on. Whereas I have a slightly different hat to wear because i sort of setup the xbmc setup and home networking side of things). - it's good to have these things available, but tucked out of the way of the most important things, which is the media! smile.gif thumbs up there!

I can't comment enough about the display of artwork in this skin, for instance in the games/emus/progs menu, having huuuge icons for your items is really nice, and very sensible use of space at the bottom of the screen for the game/emu/prog names (XBE titles). (something that always narked me in other skins) because you'd highlight it and then it would scroll the name. (not that you'd forget what item it is! tongue.gif) because you have images anyways! but it just tidies it up a bit more. kudos.

While talking about use of space, I must also mention the inclusion of 'slide-in' panels. Which you can access from most menus using the Vision skin. They are great for keeping away the clutter, and only are called into view when you move left or right as far as you can go on the sreen you are viewing. They display things such as changing the view type, and also, quite handily, the time and weather conditions). nice!

One thing I think might be quite nice, when viewing music libraries in the List 2 view, I do quite like it when im able to scroll through a list from top to bottom, then when I'm at the bottom, have it loop so im at the top again. (list 2 dosen't work like this, once you're at the bottom, you're at the bottom!, and you're staying there til you move up again).

Pictures: When viewing images full-screen, the text is veeeery small, I do think it would be nice to increase the font size here.

Icons:
My personal opinion is that the best looking icons (used to identify media types and locations), such as.. media on the xbox hard drive, or over network, or on DVD. (as you see when you go into my music, my videos etc..); the best looking/best-designed icons IMO are those used in MC360. They are very clean, very slick. The icons used in Vision, again, im going easy because it's only BETA1), are not quite so nice. It's almost like taking a step back in time regarding icons such as the use of an image of the xbox on the main menu, and heapdphones and cameras to represent a music section or pictures section. In this sense, it's like the Vision skin combines some qualities of apple's aesthetic with some more traditional design associated with xbox media center and it's earlier days.

A suggestion for view types on different 'levels':
One thing I'd quite like, would be a way, perhaps in options, to set view types for different depth levels in media libraries.

To explain, I mean, I have my music organise A-I, J-R and S-Z. At this point, it's nice to view in List 2 mode, and also when I've entered into one of those folders.. to again view in List 2 mode. (cos i can see the huge artwork at the side), but when you then enter into an actual album folder, you would then have to switch through the List view modes, to see it displayed in List 2 fashion. (basically, I'm wanting to keep the album artwork on-screen all the time. so perhaps an option in music options to set different view modes depending on the folder depth levels or something like that? (cos as it stands, I'd have to go into each album, and set to List 2 mode), lotta work!

Well all in all, it seems like EX has almost come early! (despite that this is not EX, it holds some nice features that I think a lot of ppl looking forward to EX will appreciate!)

and so out of the blue too! Great work, looking forward to hearing people's views on the skin and future work that may take place on it!

Top job!

laugh.gif

PS - I think so many of us do quite like the Movie Trailers feature that MC360 built into its Media blade, would be lovely to see this make a return in Vision
And I second the idea of a shutdown menu from the front menu.

This post has been edited by PantsOnFire: Mar 19 2007, 11:24 PM

PantsOnFire

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »

cool,

I appreciate the effort made to collect all the dvd covers and tv show icons into downloads,  but how do you use them? I never did this before.. I usually just stuck a folder.jpg in a folder and picked it up over the network..

k@iserex

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »

Thank you NineT9mustang ( and the rest of the team ) for the release!!!
Didn't try it yet but will in some hour or so!!!
Keep the hard work goin!! It seems that lately ( couple of weeks/months ) skins are just pooping right in our hands!!!
Thanks again!!!  

Jezz_X

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(djdafreund @ Mar 20 2007, 03:12 AM) View Post

Wow!! Looks very nice. Great way of control too. Very innovative. One thing i noticed that makes it seem
a little busy on screen is the left sidebar when in settings, the background text is not a huge difference in shade/color used from the overlayed text, and looked somewhat busy/confusing. Possibly have the background on the sidebar a LITTLE less translusive so the text doesn't blend in so much with the background text. In order to make it easier to make out all the text within. I included a picture to better show what i mean.
  Otherwise, it looks fantastic!!! Thanks so much for the great work guys.

This is actually more of an xbmc issue because you will notice that when you go to the settings then back to the side menu it fades out a lot more like the other ones do so its less obvious.   The problem is in hat window I can't make the settings be the default control as its hardcoded to the menu items down the side so on window open the animation dosn't take place

QUOTE(c-2 @ Mar 20 2007, 07:57 AM) View Post

cool skin!!

- how come only the Big Wide view under Programs ,  wheres the other wide icon view ?

- in Big Wide the ends fade out way to much and make the icons look weird ..

great work , love the home page :]

Its a beta more views will be coming soonish you have to remember for me this is just a spare time factor between PM3 (you may of noticed a huge update to that) mc360 and Xbox-Classic and trust me making skins for xbmc is a very involved long process

PimpTwzt

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »

Beautiful work guys. I have been looking forward to this. I have been using XBMC360 since I first got an xbox and modded it, but I have always been missing something. THe actual "Media Center" feel. With mc360 it is more of a gaming center feel (which is what it is made after) and since I do more video viewing than gaming I want something a bit more media like. Dont get me wrong I love XBMC360 and I love all the extra features like the built in AMT button and the downloads area. I tryed other skins and some are nice but lacking the extra features that XBMC360 has. Since this skin is in beta and our feedback counts in the production of this skin, I hope that some extra features can be added to this skin to make it stand out above all the rest beyond its look and feel.

Some suggestion I have are...

1. The time, can we get the time posted up somewhere were we can always see it?
2. AMT Incorperate that someplace. Maybe in the Videos tab.
3. Change the click sound to something else.
4. RSS feed, I dunno it might just throw the skin off. I dont know.
5. Home page seems a little to bare, maybe make the panel a bit bigger, or just add the Vision V up above the panel? Like when you hit the down arrow, it raises the panel and displays a V. That is beatiful.
6. Dont know if this is posible, but would you guys be able to make a screen saver to go with the skin, with the same theme of course?

Other than that, this thing is damn near perfect. Looking forward to see this thing blossom.

This post has been edited by PimpTwzt: Mar 20 2007, 12:34 AM
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 49