xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Arcade?  (Read 921 times)

fghj.

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Arcade?
« on: April 08, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »

Hello I have plans of buying a xbox 360 just so I can play Grand theft auto IV when it is released.
But when I saw that you can install linux on your 360 i saw that as another reason to buy the 360!
But i got some questions.

I suppose that a new xbox 360 arcade is up to date when it comes the version of xbox, so will i be able to downgrade it so I can install linux?

What's working with linux? The wlan? 3d acceleration? will i be able to run programs like blender 3d and compiz fusion? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Can i buy a http://www.console.se/xbox360/tuning/x360-...ricerunnerchip/
put a hddhacker supported hardrive in it and connect it to my xbox and use it for linux only?

And if i can, can i just remove the harddrive and connect the memery card if i want to play xbox games and then just connect the harddrive again if i want to boot into linux again?

Thanks in advance (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

//fghj

Scan-C

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Arcade?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 04:08:00 AM »

The arcade will come with a recent kernel so you'd need the infectus chip to do the timing attack, downgrade your kernel and upgrade to version 1888 i believe. You then need the King Kong game which needs to be patched to run the shader exploit which then will boot linux.

You can install linux on the HDD and still use it for gamesaves as to boot linux you first need to run the King Kong disc again.

Hardware support isn't good right now. No 3D Acceleration, no WLAN (except linux supported USB-Sticks) and if I remember correctly only one cpu core can be utilized (might have mixed that up with the PS3 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) )
For now linux on the 360 is only for browsing the web, e-mail and really low level hardware programming.

EDIT:

For the HDD you could do what you said but you need sector 16 from an original 360 HDD.

This post has been edited by Scan-C: Apr 9 2008, 11:09 AM

Icekiller2k6

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Arcade?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 11:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(Scan-C @ Apr 9 2008, 12:08 PM) View Post

The arcade will come with a recent kernel so you'd need the infectus chip to do the timing attack, downgrade your kernel and upgrade to version 1888 i believe. You then need the King Kong game which needs to be patched to run the shader exploit which then will boot linux.

You can install linux on the HDD and still use it for gamesaves as to boot linux you first need to run the King Kong disc again.

Hardware support isn't good right now. No 3D Acceleration, no WLAN (except linux supported USB-Sticks) and if I remember correctly only one cpu core can be utilized (might have mixed that up with the PS3 blink.gif )
For now linux on the 360 is only for browsing the web, e-mail and really low level hardware programming.

EDIT:

For the HDD you could do what you said but you need sector 16 from an original 360 HDD.

yeah... you sure about what your saying?

SMP is supported...
you see 3 pinguins when linux boots meaning... can you guess?
usb sound works
network works
mame etc works..
new 3d api has been released by tmbinc etc..

i believe that you won't be able to do it.. if i'm not mistaken.. the new arcades are also with an HDMI connector.. aka base kernel level of 19xx
so you can't downgrade to 1888 cause you'll get an error because it can't communicate with everything...

check xboxhacker for more info..