xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tmbinc Xbox 360 GPU Linux Library Update and Info  (Read 1804 times)

SigmaXIX

• Archived User
Tmbinc Xbox 360 GPU Linux Library Update and Info
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »

This is definitely an excellent step in the right direction.  Somebody's actually taking the time to make a graphics API for the 360.  Now homebrew can ACTUALLY make use of some 3D RENDERING.  That's building a basis for the homebrew to come beginning 2009.

AND, _YES_ the Xbox360 is "Hacked" or "Cracked" already, but the modifications are still rudimentary.  I own an Infectus2 that I'm looking at now (I can type and look at stuff at the same time), but it doesn't really do anything.  Oooh, I can use some old kernel, but then I cannot play any game past mid-2006.  The current generation of Xbox360 modchips are the kinda stuff that's really geared toward developers.

This is the same way other modchips for other videogame systems developed.  Xbox360 is barely at its first generation of modchips.  AND, with the miracles of the Timing Attack, I have no doubt there will be fully functional modchips by late 2008, early 2009, with automatic region-patching and security sectors, without being lame and modding the DVD.

Worst-case, just more "emulating" of circuitry will have to be moved into the chip during the next few months.  Just more re-routing of internal components or whatever.

Don't say that the Xbox 360 will "NEVER" get hacked.  That's just not true.  Why?  Human error -- the hypervisor idea may be flawless, but not the engineering around it.

[*EDIT]I had to remove ONE word for semantical purposes.

Hopeful

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(dasbooter @ Mar 31 2008, 03:26 PM) View Post

doesnt infectus have a [board] that can [downgrade you to the exploitable kernel]

Yes

QUOTE(dasbooter @ Mar 31 2008, 03:26 PM) View Post

if so couldnt some thing be added on to store a boot loader...

Like I said before. No. (Not one that you can launch, anyway)

The 360

and by that I also mean the exploitable kernel

has not been hacked far enough to boot an exploit off anything BUT the King Kong disk.

SigmaXIX

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(Hopeful @ Mar 31 2008, 05:27 PM) View Post
has not been hacked far enough to boot an exploit off anything BUT the King Kong disk.
More correctly, the hack has just not been streamlined so it is feasible for the end-user, nor robust enough to apply to more than just exactly 1 console revision.  Yet...

Classically stated throughout the computer world in various forms, if you throw everything you got at a hack, they're gonna defeat everything you got, then you'll have to work harder in the future.  The vicious cycle.

I think it's more a matter of intelligence this stuff isn't going any faster.

Icekiller2k6

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(Hopeful @ Mar 31 2008, 07:25 AM) View Post

Either that's a hoax or he wasn't saying he's working on a "dashboard".

He's definitely not working on a modded dashboard. (Which would currently be impossible)

Maybe you mean the "dual boot" mod that lets you store 2 different non-modded kernels (aka dashes). This isn't a modded dash. It just lets you switch between 2 different official 360 dashes. (An older one that still allows the king kong trick, or a newer one that will play the latest games)

You won't see a modded dash on 360 until it is hacked far enough to START into unsigned code. With security SO powerful this gen, that may never happen. The hacker(s) would virtually have to be super geniuses with quantum powers.

sorry i can't help myself

Hopeful.. your full of a load of....

What.. He said was right PERIOD.

They are working on trying to 'reboot' into the same dash without restriction.

When they are able to do that they can load ANY dash they created.

so a dash that would for example allow unsigned code to run.

If you want to know more about it and not just blow out steam

look up the rebooter project.

Hopeful

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(SigmaXIX @ Mar 31 2008, 05:06 PM) View Post

The current generation of Xbox360 modchips are the kinda stuff that's really geared toward developers.

This is the same way other modchips for other videogame systems developed.  Xbox360 is barely at its first generation of modchips.  AND, with the miracles of the Timing Attack, I have no doubt there will be fully functional modchips by late 2008, early 2009, with automatic region-patching and security sectors, without being lame and modding the DVD.

There are things for 360 CALLED "mod chips", but they're NOT the same thing past consoles had, and have nothing to do with progressing towards it. Those mod chips were BIOS mod chips.

What the 360 has are DVD firmware chips. There are flasher/testers like what you have, which let hackers examine everything on the flash, but that's not a BIOS modchip.

Cracking the 360 for homebrew proved to be SO different, and SO much harder than past consoles, that they had to push aside BIOS modchips and focus on simpler hacks. It's nothing like past consoles.

The timing attack has NOTHING to do with working towards hacked BIOS. It's just a peripheral hack that finds your downgrade info. None of which has anything to do with breaking BIOS security.

A homebrew modchip wouldn't need region patching, because it would kill region locking.

Emulating circuitry?  rolleyes.gif

I'll say it again. The 360 BIOS/Kernel/Dash have security that even the hackers will tell you isn't like anything they've seen on a console before. It's not just the hypervisor. It's layers of things you wouldn't imagine. The encryption alone is the same stuff they use in BANKS. You REALLY can't talk about how 'human error' comes into play until you research and understand what's going on.

Currently, the only way to unsigned code is using a King Kong disk on EVERY boot. There is no way to boot a hacked kernel, which means there's no way to install one, which means no modded dashes etc.  If you look at how many talented hackers are working on this, and what they're saying, you get a better idea of the probability. There is currently no way to start up in homebrew, and as tight as the security is, there may never be.

Hopeful

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(Icekiller2k6 @ Mar 31 2008, 06:10 PM) View Post

sorry i can't help myself

Hopeful..

What.. He said was right PERIOD.

They are working on trying to 'reboot' into the same dash without restriction.

When they are able to do that they can load ANY dash they created.

so a dash that would for example allow unsigned code to run.

look up the rebooter project.

WOW that's ignorant.

First of all, research the rebooter project better. Go back into arenezami's thread and read it slowly, and study similar XBH threads. Learn what a dash is. Learn what a kernel is.

A ) They're trying to reboot into a different kernel/hypervisor.
B ) THEN the dash loads
C ) The new dash doesn't RUN the unsigned code. It IS the unsigned code.
D ) The project still doesn't reboot fully, because of all the challenges. Even though Arnezami is obviously VERY talented, even he would probably admit he's up against a NIGHTMARE of a security challenge.
E) The rebooter project ISN'T A DASHBOARD.

Secondly, what he said was THIS.

QUOTE(biscoito @ Mar 30 2008, 10:21 PM) View Post

a few months ago I heard that some dude was working on a dash board for the 360, he said that he was gonna work on a dual boot kind of dash, are you aware of it ?

A ) It's impossible to build a dash when there is no hacked Kernel/HV to run it on. And the rebooter is not a dash.
B ) He specifies a "dual boot type mod". I believe dual boot means the ability to boot between 2 different kernels. http://www.xboxhacke...?topic=7683.120

I doubt he's talking about the rebooter.

Also what I said was "You won't see a modded dash on 360 until it is hacked far enough to START into unsigned code." Which is completely true. The rebooter is NOT a dash. It's something that would start into unsigned code. I doubt it will ever completely work, but that's just me.

biscoito

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(Hopeful @ Mar 31 2008, 02:19 PM) View Post

WOW that's ignorant.

First of all, research the rebooter project better. Go back into arenezami's thread and read it slowly, and study similar XBH threads. Learn what a dash is. Learn what a kernel is.

A ) They're trying to reboot into a different kernel/hypervisor.
B ) THEN the dash loads
C ) The new dash doesn't RUN the unsigned code. It IS the unsigned code.
D ) The project still doesn't reboot fully, because of all the challenges. Even though Arnezami is obviously VERY talented, even he would probably admit he's up against a NIGHTMARE of a security challenge.
E) The rebooter project ISN'T A DASHBOARD.
Secondly, what he said was THIS.
A ) It's impossible to build a dash when there is no hacked Kernel/HV to run it on. And the rebooter is not a dash.
B ) He specifies a "dual boot type mod". I believe dual boot means the ability to boot between 2 different kernels. http://www.xboxhacke...?topic=7683.120

I doubt he's talking about the rebooter.

Also what I said was "You won't see a modded dash on 360 until it is hacked far enough to START into unsigned code." Which is completely true. The rebooter is NOT a dash. It's something that would start into unsigned code. I doubt it will ever completely work, but that's just me.

ok I was talking about this thing here http://www.xboxscene...e-7-10-2007.php

Hopeful

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(biscoito @ Mar 31 2008, 09:25 PM) View Post

ok I was talking about this thing here http://www.xboxscene...e-7-10-2007.php

Ok then I was ABSOLUTELY right when I said He's definitely not working on a modded dashboard. (Which would currently be impossible)

This is not a dashboard.

It's a Kernel/Hypervisor loader. (And still has a lot of obstacles in its way. Like he said, the final product is still a theory.)

Like I said: You won't see a modded dash on 360 until it is hacked far enough to START into unsigned code.

The rebooter would (theoretically) do just that, and ALLOW a modded dash, but it itself is NOT a dash. And you still need the King Kong disk every time you use it. (Or any dash you install with it) But there's no point even bringing this up until we see it in action.

Is it an AWESOME project? Definitely.

Would it kick ASS to play real emulation instead of that cheesy no-emulator, pay-per-rom, stand alone rom shit? You bet!

Would it be good to finally see powerful apps specifically for 360 linux, that take full advantage of tmbinc's API? It would rock.

Will they actually get it working? We'll see. Let's not get our hopes up.
Pages: 1 [2]