xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Kingkong+linux Sda Loader- Single(duallayer) Dvd Bootdisk  (Read 1976 times)

mrbelvedere

• Archived User
Kingkong+linux Sda Loader- Single(duallayer) Dvd Bootdisk
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »

Thanks Icekiller2k6! That worked perfectly. Now to make it do my bidding smile.gif

mrbelvedere

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »

Icekiller2k6, could you please explain to me what /dev/smc is? I'm not fluent in C++ yet, Python is my language of choice. A simple ls- l tells me that /dev/smc is only 10 bytes in size. I'm guessing it's a reference to a place in memory? I am trying to get a good understanding of the code.

From what I've figured out, you do the following:

create variable msg and initialize it to 16 bytes [00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00]. Then when you call the read functions you insert some values to the beginning of msg, and read it.

But I tried to get some python code to do the same, but it gives me an error. If I try:

f = open("/dev/smc", "rb+")
f.read(16)

it fails. I can't quite put my finger on the problem though. Any ideas/info would be greatly appreciated.

Icekiller2k6

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 02:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(mrbelvedere @ Jan 17 2008, 05:05 AM) View Post

Icekiller2k6, could you please explain to me what /dev/smc is? I'm not fluent in C++ yet, Python is my language of choice. A simple ls- l tells me that /dev/smc

f.read(16)

it fails. I can't quite put my finger on the problem though. Any ideas/info would be greatly appreciated.

i'm not really familar with perl but i have a friend whoes going to 'translate' it to perl ... so i'll give you a yell

owyeah isn't my code its Tmbincs wink.gif

Icekiller2k6

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 07:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(mrbelvedere @ Jan 17 2008, 05:05 AM) View Post

Icekiller2k6, could you please explain to me what /dev/smc is? I'm not fluent in C++ yet, Python is my language of choice. A simple ls- l tells me that /dev/smc is only 10 bytes in size. I'm guessing it's a reference to a place in memory? I am trying to get a good understanding of the code.

From what I've figured out, you do the following:

create variable msg and initialize it to 16 bytes [00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00]. Then when you call the read functions you insert some values to the beginning of msg, and read it.

But I tried to get some python code to do the same, but it gives me an error. If I try:

f.read(16)

woops i guessed i read to fast.. the perl version for the powerleds should be done tonight, maybe tomorrow..

smc = open( "/dev/smc", "wb" )
smc.write( "...." )
smc.close()

should be how you do it @ python..
haven't tried yet (not at home)

mrbelvedere

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »

But what exaclty is /dev/smc ? It's defiinately not a file. I'm guessing the whole concept of the app is that it reads binary data from some location in memory.  However, I wanted to make sure I got the reading done correctly before attempting to write anything. I'm guessing it's probably safe, but I want  to make sure.

After some more research it seems like I need to use the python struct module and/or the array module to get the data in the right format.

I appreciate you and your friends help. I'll have a look at the perl version when ready, it might give me some clues. If I still can't get it solved I'll get in touch with Tmbinc.  If I can get a working solution, I'' post it back here. Thanks again.

Icekiller2k6

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(mrbelvedere @ Jan 17 2008, 05:02 PM) View Post

But what exaclty is /dev/smc ? It's defiinately not a file. I'm guessing the whole concept of the app is that it reads binary data from some location in memory.  However, I wanted to make sure I got the reading done correctly before attempting to write anything. I'm guessing it's probably safe, but I want  to make sure.

After some more research it seems like I need to use the python struct module and/or the array module to get the data in the right format.

I appreciate you and your friends help. I'll have a look at the perl version when ready, it might give me some clues. If I still can't get it solved I'll get in touch with Tmbinc.  If I can get a working solution, I'' post it back here. Thanks again.

the smc is a part of the 'kernel'.. its kinda like.. Hmm You know MBM? the temp program that reads all the info from the bios? Its the same thing..
only we can do more 'fun' stuff..

and idd it needs to be an array..

btw send you a pm..

Masta-G

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2008, 05:45:00 AM »

If we paste everything from the linux loader into the king kong iso from address 0.
Then wouldnt it overwrite the security sector? causing it not to boot on newer iXtreme firmware?
Is there also a way to paste it somewhere where it would probally only overwrite some gamefiles not used to boot the game?

Icekiller2k6

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 05:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(Masta-G @ Mar 22 2008, 12:45 PM) View Post

If we paste everything from the linux loader into the king kong iso from address 0.
Then wouldnt it overwrite the security sector? causing it not to boot on newer iXtreme firmware?
Is there also a way to paste it somewhere where it would probally only overwrite some gamefiles not used to boot the game?

i'm pretty sure the SS isn't in the first 7a8mb.. (pretty sure its on layer 1 actually, don't feel like looking it up)

you can only paste it there.

The problem is that the vid section gets corrupted and THATS why you can't use it incombination with ixtreme.. but i do remember someone getting it to work how they did it i don't know (or remember)

C4E has made only the 7mb readable in 'normal' mode.. So you can't paste it anywhere else unless you rewrite a part of the xell to not eject, and read it from the big sound file that you aren't going to use..

bartholomaeus

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »

Hello together,
unfortunately I'm not very familiar with this whole linux thing, so I will need your help. Also my English is not really perfect, because I'm from Germany.
Here´s my problem: I already installed ubuntu onto my harddisk referring to the great guide posted in this forum. Everything worked perfect with the "2 disk method".
Today I tried to built the single bootdisk. What I did:
Put kkpatcher, kingkong.iso into the DL-DVD-boot-Icekiller_smurf_Kit folder
navigated to this folder in dos and startet: "kkpatcher kingkong.iso loadfromdvd.bin"
After that it said something about 145 ...???
Next step was to open kk iso and XELL-Bootloader-sda2-v2.6.21.1.iso with winhex
copied the complete code and inserted it into the kingkong iso exactly like described.

When I boot from the single disk, this will happen all the time (sorry, but I don't have an idea how to take a screenshot at this state):

IPB Image

There's an ixtreme fw on my hitachi (can't remember the exact version), but I don't think it has to do something with that, because the kk will load fine.

Please let me know, if you guys need some further information.

Thank you very much in advance  smile.gif

One other question: Do you see a possibility to integrate the "hit start button thing" into the disk?

Icekiller2k6

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(bartholomaeus @ Apr 6 2008, 05:29 PM) View Post

Hello together,
unfortunately I'm not very familiar with this whole linux thing, so I will need your help. Also my English is not really perfect, because I'm from Germany.
Here´s my problem: I already installed ubuntu onto my harddisk referring to the great guide posted in this forum. Everything worked perfect with the "2 disk method".
Today I tried to built the single bootdisk. What I did:
Put kkpatcher, kingkong.iso into the DL-DVD-boot-Icekiller_smurf_Kit folder
navigated to this folder in dos and startet: "kkpatcher kingkong.iso loadfromdvd.bin"
After that it said something about 145 ...???
Next step was to open kk iso and XELL-Bootloader-sda2-v2.6.21.1.iso with winhex
copied the complete code and inserted it into the kingkong iso exactly like described.

When I boot from the single disk, this will happen all the time (sorry, but I don't have an idea how to take a screenshot at this state):

IPB Image

There's an ixtreme fw on my hitachi (can't remember the exact version), but I don't think it has to do something with that, because the kk will load fine.

Please let me know, if you guys need some further information.

Thank you very much in advance  smile.gif
One other question: Do you see a possibility to integrate the "hit start button thing" into the disk?

Stonersmurf just confirmed the problem is that it can't read the 'whole' vmlinux file and thats why it fails.

so flash the drive with an older Xtreme version (not an ixtreme)

bartholomaeus

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(Icekiller2k6 @ Apr 7 2008, 06:34 PM) View Post

Stonersmurf just confirmed the problem is that it can't read the 'whole' vmlinux file and thats why it fails.

so flash the drive with an older Xtreme version (not an ixtreme)

Many thanks Icekiller. I just flashed my hitachi with Xtreme 2.3 (nonstealth) and everything works perfect now. The problem was, that I couln't imagine, that ixtreme was the problem in my case as the game bootet fine to the "Press start button" screen - got it wrong.

Anyway, thanks again to Icekiller and all you guys, who made this possible biggrin.gif

Masta-G

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2008, 04:15:00 AM »

I see, so the guy stated he got it working on ixtreme used a smaller vmlinux (with most kernel drivers compiled as modules)?
I would really like to keep my ixtreme since I can still connect to live.

Icekiller2k6

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(Masta-G @ Apr 13 2008, 12:15 PM) View Post

I see, so the guy stated he got it working on ixtreme used a smaller vmlinux (with most kernel drivers compiled as modules)?
I would really like to keep my ixtreme since I can still connect to live.

yeah basicly it needs to be smaller then 7mb.. (6,85mb orsomething i believe)

you can compile your own on another linux machine, there is an tutorial on free60.

Masta-G

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »

Thanks for mentioning.
I know how to build a kernel.
I'm writing a script that will install Fedora8 (9 will follow when it's out) on either the xbox hd or usb hd.
So most drivers exept for ext/ext3/iso9660 fs, framebuffer and some other minor stuff will be compiled as modules. The zImage will be definitly below 6megs.

Pages: 1 [2]