xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ubuntu 7.10 Help Required  (Read 372 times)

utar

• Archived User
Ubuntu 7.10 Help Required
« on: October 20, 2007, 07:45:00 AM »

Hi

I have just upgraded my install to 7.10 using the automatic update.

However Ubuntu is now refusing to start.  The user name picture flashes on and then crashes and restarts in a continuous loop.  Can anyone help me?

Utar

praxis22

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(utar @ Oct 20 2007, 02:45 PM) View Post

Hi
I have just upgraded my install to 7.10 using the automatic update.

However Ubuntu is now refusing to start.  The user name picture flashes on and then crashes and restarts in a continuous loop.  Can anyone help me?
Utar

It's likely a problem with the graphics drivers, since desktop effects come enabled by default. At a rough guess you need to get access to the shell. can you get a serial connection to it?

If you can you need to disable /etc/init.d/gdm this will stop the graphical installer. Simply move it to another name or into a subdirectory.

Then you should be able to login manually in future, and it'll drop you to the command prompt.

Once that's done, run, sudo apt-get remove compiz compiz-gnome compiz-kde this should then remove/disable the OpenGL desktop, and then you should be able to start gnome by running: /etc/init.d/gdm start which would bring up the graphical login window.

If that works, then simply move gdm back to it's normal location.

utar

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I tried your suggestion, unfortunately it didn't work.

This is turning out to be a tricky problem to fix.  You may want to read the following thread that I started as well:

http://www.xboxhacker.net/index.php?topic=8781.0

Utar

This post has been edited by utar: Oct 27 2007, 12:34 AM

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 12:10:00 AM »

probly compiz as he said. its supposed to not turn itsself on if it sees hardware that cant handel it. but well if you ever hang out in irc you knoe it doesent always do that. i beleve the console command is compiz-switch.