xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dumb Microsoft  (Read 617 times)

thebeebster

• Archived User
Dumb Microsoft
« on: December 10, 2006, 11:38:00 PM »

wow this post is stupid i didnt read "xbox os from m$" sorry about that

I have been reading these forums because im interested in having linux on my 360 but i dont get it. microsoft tries so hard to stop people from putting linux on the systems but why dont they just make the system have its own little OS, but with restrictions like running pc games and other stuff. like just have a simple web browser and msn and other cool stuff that would eliminate people from having to mod the systems for linux. and eliminate all the work they put into stopping people from doing so.

This post has been edited by thebeebster: Dec 11 2006, 07:50 AM

irnchriz

• Archived User
Dumb Microsoft
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 05:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(thebeebster @ Dec 11 2006, 08:09 AM) View Post

I have been reading these forums because im interested in having linux on my 360 but i dont get it. microsoft tries so hard to stop people from putting linux on the systems but why dont they just make the system have its own little OS, but with restrictions like running pc games and other stuff. like just have a simple web browser and msn and other cool stuff that would eliminate people from having to mod the systems for linux. and eliminate all the work they put into stopping people from doing so.

What would be the point?????

Against:

Do you realise how much development time it would take to write/compile a version of windows (or whatever they would call it) that would enable a user to play PC games?  They would have to write an instruction translator that would pass the correct commands to the CPU in real time.

Plus, they are keeping the PC and 360 as 2 platforms but will eventually allow cross platform play.  This is highlighted by "Games for Windows"

I assume that this has sprung from the fact that sony allows you to run linux on the PS3.  IMO Linus is for geeks and fanbois, and those that have some weird condition preventing them from paying for any OS or software read-- Fuck it, I bought the console, its mine, Im going to mod it so I can play pirate games!!!

FOR:

They could release a tight OS (that would be a first) with a version of IE7 suppporting full speed flash rendering etc etc and stick it right up Sony with their SLOOOOOW non standard supporting browser.  (And before I get flamed as Microsoft's IE7 doesnt support all of the book standards, I think you will find that all of the web designers out there who like being in employment will build their sites and test them to work with IE7 over any other browser!!!)

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
Dumb Microsoft
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 06:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(irnchriz @ Dec 13 2006, 02:11 PM) View Post

Fuck it, I bought the console, its mine, Im going to mod it so I can play pirate games!!!

That sort of talk will get you banned. Read the forum rules before posting.

Techno Maniac

• Archived User
Dumb Microsoft
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 08:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(MasterGouken @ Dec 13 2006, 05:14 AM) View Post

That sort of talk will get you banned. Read the forum rules before posting.

u should really read the whole post before u add a reply

Kr0n1k

• Archived User
Dumb Microsoft
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 09:14:00 PM »

Yeah no kidding, leave the moderating to the mods, he was making a point, not saying he was going to mod to play pirated games. Back to the topic, the 360 has an OS, it boots everytime you turn on your system. Thats what the dash is. If MS was to integrate IE7, or a version of IE into the dash, that would be an excellent addition, along with a cross platform Messenger (which I believe is on its way, but not entirely sure) so that you can voice chat and use the Vision cam with people that don't nessicarily have a 360. Linux is pretty worthless IMO. Yea its cute for a little while, but after the novelty wears off its boring, bland, and not anywhere near as fully featured as Vista, which if you haven't tried it, you should. Its been said before that Sony merely allowed the PS3 to run Linux so that they could sell it for the outrageous price they want for it in places like Europe, something to do with the classification of the system. Hopefully we will see a browser shortly.

This post has been edited by Kr0n1k: Dec 14 2006, 05:15 AM

vax11780

• Archived User
Dumb Microsoft
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 09:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(thebeebster @ Dec 10 2006, 11:09 PM) View Post

Ain't gonna happen...

MS has virtually cornered the desktop market. If the 360 did all the things people use their desktop for why would they need a desktop? This results in MS losing license revenue.

Right now, most people on this forum own both a desktop running Windows XP and a 360 to play games. Remove either platform and MS loses money. There are also anti-trust issues MS needs to worry about.

Besides, if it did have a web browser, you'd have to sign up with MSN to surf.

VAX

Millenia1x

• Archived User
Dumb Microsoft
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »

microsoft has the desktop market covered in america
not the world

and who signs up with msn to surf the web
thats slow

BoNg420

• Archived User
Dumb Microsoft
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(thebeebster @ Dec 11 2006, 01:09 AM) View Post

They want it to be a gaming system not a cheap PC.  There is no point to putting linux on a xbox or xbox 360 its just a waste.  Who really needs it and who needs a web browser?  Thats why we have PCs.  rolleyes.gif

DrPepperFan15

• Archived User
Dumb Microsoft
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 03:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(BoNg420 @ Jan 29 2007, 10:14 PM) View Post

They want it to be a gaming system not a cheap PC.  There is no point to putting linux on a xbox or xbox 360 its just a waste.  Who really needs it and who needs a web browser?  Thats why we have PCs.  rolleyes.gif

youre ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!! Why should we have linux to browse the web?

But thats why we have linksboks..... hehehehe

But as for the Xbox 360....  I would enjoy Windows Vista on it considering the 360 has at least the minimum requirements for Vista or any OS to run so why not? Buy a X360 mod chip when available... buy 250gb hdd for 360... buy Windows Vista(it came out today)... buy USB mouse and keyboard   and there you have a full computer with an Xbox 360 name attached to the end!

luther349

• Archived User
Dumb Microsoft
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 06:55:00 AM »

acully you got it wrong. ms would be more then happy to make windows for xbox 360. however doing so it would be classfyed as a pc and they would have to comply with there anti trust laws aka it would need to be open enough to make linux work on it. bascily they cant lock the users out of the hardware if they did so they never will.

cohan

• Archived User
Dumb Microsoft
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »

So, just a simple and stupid question from me tongue.gif

Lets just say the problem with running unsigned programs on the 360 didnt exist (or got cracked?), you would be able to run linux after a short period of time. But, what about the leaked source code for Windows 2000, couldn't someon compile a X360 compatible OS from it?

Millenia1x

• Archived User
Dumb Microsoft
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »

not really no

windows is designed for x86 and creating a ppc version would be hell

Wolves

• Archived User
Dumb Microsoft
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(thebeebster @ Dec 10 2006, 11:09 PM) View Post

It's not like that, that's not what the majority of us want to do. We want in our 360's for the sake of being able to say we did. We want to be able to see what we can do inside it, we want to figure out more and more ways of getting inside it.

Consider it this way, you could go out and build an entire PC for the sake of running Linux on it, and you'd know that it's going to work.

Or, you could go out, buy an Xbox 360, exploit it, install Linux, and be proud of the fact that you have an operating system designed for the traditional PC running on a gaming console.

Fun.