xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Boot Debian From Xbox 360  (Read 368 times)

DrMadVibes

• Archived User
Boot Debian From Xbox 360
« on: October 12, 2006, 08:41:00 AM »

On my XBOX 1.0 we all managed to boot linux and even Windows CE from our harddrives or dvd player.
Some of the old XBOX 1.0 games are bootable and playable on the XBOX 360, doesn't this count for the Debian version aswell?

On the M$ website you can download a Backward compatibility patch. Maybe we can update or hack this default.xex and put in the Debian bootdisc release for XBOX 1.0 in some way.

I also saw some hashes of the XBOX 360 harddisk / directories and filenames. There are some tools who are already able to read some of the LIVE files. Let me quote

wxHdd v1.2 and wxPirs v1.1 -- Posted by XanTium on February 18 23:31 EST
Gael360 released an update of wxHdd(info) (a tool to read the Xbox 360 HDD on PC) and wxPirs (to tool to open Generic Xbox 360 Container files).

What's new/fixed on wxHdd since v1.0 (translated from french):
* Experimental support for memory cards (v1.0.1)
* Fixed some bugs (v1.0.1)
* Handling fragmentation of disc (v1.2)
* Opening of several partitions (v1.2)
* Extracting directories (v1.2)
* Instant/Direct opening of files (v1.2)
* Note: wxHdd does not have a feature to 'add files' (write on HD/Image) yet.

Gael360 also released a new tool called wxPirs v1.1:

This tool will allow you to open files of the following types: PIRS, LIVE or CON, which are "generic container files" on the Xbox360.
More info about this format is available on free60.org.

These 3 formats are identical, the only difference are the first 4 characters of the file (PIRS/LIVE/CON), which is where their names come from, and what they are used for:
* PIRS: used to store themes or gamertags for example
* LIVE: used to store content downloaded from Xbox LIVE
* CON: these are a bit special, they are the only ones of this format that are create by the Xbox 360 itself. They are used to store saved games.

v1.1 comes with some bug fixes.

Official Site: http://gael360.free.fr/
Download wxHdd v1.2: here (.NET 2.0 Framework required)
Download wxPirs v1.1: here (.NET 2.0 Framework required)
News-Source: gueux-forum.net

SOurce: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion/i...hp/t491260.html

Any other ideas?

I would realy like to upload a HD movies to my XBOX 360 HDD since M$ is about to release a additional HD DVD player and I am not willing to pay another 199 for that goddamn HD DVD player.

kingroach

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »

if you want to watch Hd movies, just wait a couple of days to get the VC1/x264 streaming on xbox 360. Get a vista medi acenter and network. Debian wont be ported unless xbox 360 is hacked.

BCfosheezy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 10:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(DrMadVibes @ Oct 12 2006, 09:48 AM) View Post
On my XBOX 1.0 we all managed to boot linux and even Windows CE from our harddrives or dvd player.
Some of the old XBOX 1.0 games are bootable and playable on the XBOX 360, doesn't this count for the Debian version aswell?

On the M$ website you can download a A href="http://"www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardscompatibility.htm#download" target=_blank>Backward compatibility patch. Maybe we can update or hack this default.xex and put in the Debian bootdisc release for XBOX 1.0 in some way.

I also saw some hashes of the XBOX 360 harddisk / directories and filenames. There are some tools who are already able to read some of the LIVE files. Let me quote

Official Site: http://gael360.free.fr/
Download wxHdd v1.2: here (.NET 2.0 Framework required)
Download wxPirs v1.1: here (.NET 2.0 Framework required)
News-Source: gueux-forum.net

SOurce: http://forums.xbox-s...hp/t491260.html

Any other ideas?

I would realy like to upload a HD movies to my XBOX 360 HDD since M$ is about to release a additional HD DVD player and I am not willing to pay another 199 for that goddamn HD DVD player.

No it doesn't count for Debian as well. Since only SOME of the original xbox games are bootable this should tell you that there is something preventing just ANYTHING that ran on xbox from booting. Each game that is playable on 360 has an emulator profile that tells the 360 how to run that game. Debian obviously does not have a profile on the 360 and since all of those files are signed one cannot be made. Simply uploading something to the hard drive of the xbox 360 is not enough. You can put anything you want on an unmodded xbox hard drive, but the xbox won't run it. The same is true for 360. The security has to be defeated before any unsigned code is booted. Why do people think that the hard part is getting the code on the hard drive? It's not, it's making the system execute the code that is the hard part. With all the security in the 360 it will not be easy to figure out.

DrPepperFan15

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 11:37:00 PM »

I like your thinking BCfosheezy...

I would have to agree with you in your statements about executing the code. Basically the 360 is just going to get cracked sooner or later and it will involve doing extensive research and trial & error with the hypervisor and the speculation of the motherboard to see what exactly can get edited in any way to try and see what will and can get edited before we even try to crack the signature for just one big thing...

so basically we should proboly start thinking about the smaller and less important files of the 360 instead of the bigger ones which proboly cant get cracked until the smaller ones are done first. Then something may just be possible. But who knows, you never know if even the day after you read this will Xecuter or some other modchip developer release a working chip to the public then these projects we're working on now would be useless... sad.gif   If only we had some updates from them to see how far they are then maybe it would be possible to try even harder at a homebrew hack or just wait for the easy way out.....

Millenia1x

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »

unless you pull a rambo and get to redmond and get the key

this is useless