xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Xbox Os From M$  (Read 821 times)

XBOXerPT

• Archived User
Xbox Os From M$
« on: April 11, 2006, 05:27:00 AM »

moved

This post has been edited by XBOXerPT: Apr 11 2006, 12:43 PM

Enixile

• Archived User
Xbox Os From M$
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 05:01:00 PM »

Why shouldn't M$ make an operating system for the Xbox 360, you ask? Well, it is using an operating system, but I'm assuming you mean something like Windows. I highly doubt that M$ would ever consider creating a version of Windows for their gaming console. Where would they earn money? Sure, they'd get money initially from selling the installation disc, but then people would be using the 360 as a computer and not for playing 360 games, which is what they really want. I'm sure that one day hackers will get linux working on the 360, and from there Windows can be emulated. But, we'll just have to wait.

kalle_19

• Archived User
Xbox Os From M$
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 11:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(Enixile @ Jul 21 2006, 12:32 AM) View Post

Why shouldn't M$ make an operating system for the Xbox 360, you ask? Well, it is using an operating system, but I'm assuming you mean something like Windows. I highly doubt that M$ would ever consider creating a version of Windows for their gaming console. Where would they earn money? Sure, they'd get money initially from selling the installation disc, but then people would be using the 360 as a computer and not for playing 360 games, which is what they really want. I'm sure that one day hackers will get linux working on the 360, and from there Windows can be emulated. But, we'll just have to wait.

I don't think that's the reason. If they would start selling windows for the 360 people would still use it to play games, or they could just buy a cheap dell for 100 S ! Now, I think the reason is that people now have to buy two things instead of one. At first a PC with windows and then a xbox 360. (mee getting PS3 =) )

grim_d

• Archived User
Xbox Os From M$
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 11:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(kalle_19 @ Aug 18 2006, 06:20 PM) View Post

I don't think that's the reason. If they would start selling windows for the 360 people would still use it to play games, or they could just buy a cheap dell for 100 S ! Now, I think the reason is that people now have to buy two things instead of one. At first a PC with windows and then a xbox 360.

Whilst i was reading that i was constantly thinking "what the hell is this guy talking about, this 'paragraph' makes no sense" then it all became so blisteringly clear why it made no sense....

QUOTE(kalle_19 @ Aug 18 2006, 06:20 PM) View Post

(mee getting PS3 =) )

MattyT

• Archived User
Xbox Os From M$
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 06:34:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

thebeebster

• Archived User
Xbox Os From M$
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 11:53:00 PM »

they should make a new operating system that just has stuff like web browsing and msn and allow it to use programs like limewire and audio editing software. but block it from playing pc games. but people would obviously find a way to get around that block.

vax11780

• Archived User
Xbox Os From M$
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 12:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(thebeebster @ Dec 10 2006, 11:24 PM) View Post

they should make a new operating system that just has stuff like web browsing and msn and allow it to use programs like limewire and audio editing software. but block it from playing pc games. but people would obviously find a way to get around that block.

Actually, it is quite easy to create a block that would be nearly impossible to get around. As soon as the hypervisor is requested to load and execute any unsigned code, set a bit in a register that can only be reset by powering off the machine. This register could disable certain key pieces of hardware (like the graphics accelerator,) or reconfigure the hardware such that a game couldn't be run without major modifications.
Even cooler would be to add a watermark to every game executable. The hypervisor could detect the watermark (a particular ordering of instructions) and refuse to run it.

VAX

mojoman

• Archived User
Xbox Os From M$
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 08:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(vax11780 @ Dec 11 2006, 01:29 AM) *

Actually, it is quite easy to create a block that would be nearly impossible to get around. As soon as the hypervisor is requested to load and execute any unsigned code, set a bit in a register that can only be reset by powering off the machine. This register could disable certain key pieces of hardware (like the graphics accelerator,) or reconfigure the hardware such that a game couldn't be run without major modifications.
Even cooler would be to add a watermark to every game executable. The hypervisor could detect the watermark (a particular ordering of instructions) and refuse to run it.

VAX

Lol its people like you that make it hard to mod.
Instead suggest solutions, not more problems.

Millenia1x

• Archived User
Xbox Os From M$
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »

microsoft will never make another os for the 360 because in doing that they would not only take money away from their windows but the 360 would eventually die from it
this would also be like admitting that the 360 was seriously flawed from the getgo

dream on

close thread

mp5user

• Archived User
Xbox Os From M$
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 01:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(Millenia1x @ Jan 29 2007, 09:44 PM) *

microsoft will never make another os for the 360 because in doing that they would not only take money away from their windows but the 360 would eventually die from it
this would also be like admitting that the 360 was seriously flawed from the getgo

dream on

close thread

Not true, for one most people with X360s own PCs.  So copy's they sell for X360 would be more money.  Then once the X360 gets outdated they are gonna sell more copies of Windows, so w/e, it would mean more money.  Anti-trust laws are their problems, interoperability would be required if Windows was available for the X360 because it would be classified a PC.  And to those that disagree Windows could run through emulation = not port Windows to PPC = cost vs. benefit = profit.  At least thats make take on the subject.

• Archived User
Xbox Os From M$
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(Enixile @ Jul 20 2006, 05:32 PM) View Post

this reply explains it all and the post was originally created by someone who is now banned.

no new OS will arise from MS for the 360!

ever...

dokworm

• Archived User
Xbox Os From M$
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 03:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(mp5user @ Mar 11 2007, 08:21 PM) *

Not true, for one most people with X360s own PCs.  So copy's they sell for X360 would be more money.  Then once the X360 gets outdated they are gonna sell more copies of Windows, so w/e, it would mean more money.  Anti-trust laws are their problems, interoperability would be required if Windows was available for the X360 because it would be classified a PC.  And to those that disagree Windows could run through emulation = not port Windows to PPC = cost vs. benefit = profit.  At least thats make take on the subject.

Same reason they won't release a general media player with divx etc. support

*They ONLY make money by selling lots of games*

They don't want people to do anything else on the 360 except buy games and play them. They have reluctantly opened up the 360 to play wmv videos and do some other piddly stuff, but the *last* thing they want is people buying a 360 and then using it as a media player or homebrew platform. All that achieves for them is to lose money on the hardware that user buys and never recoup it from them.

I wish it wasn't that way, but that is the business model. If they didn't have to compete they would never let the 360 do anything except play games.

It isn't that people would play PC games, just releasing 'Windows' on the 360 doesn't mean PC games would work, it is a totally different architecture, and only super well behaved high level coded programs would run at all well, and games certainly don't fit that description. It is hard enough to get some games to run properly on a *real* PC.

DrPepperFan15

• Archived User
Xbox Os From M$
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »

I'd just like to say that if Microsoft wanted to release an OS then they would have done so years ago... Funny thing is, everybody thinks Linux is the ONLY thing when it's not.. it's only there since a FATX filesystem is best compatible and also since a bunch of coders and developers feel "more at home" when using linux instead of Windows. In fact, Windows CE .NET has been ported to the Xbox and that there will prove that it's not some "impossible" thing to do and no it wouldnt require a huge amount of power to run it considering now I'll move into the 360, that this is a 360 and this has all of the hardware required to run even the basic of programs at full capability. I would have to say that is Microsoft doesnt do it first, then we as the Xbox-Scene community will make it first as we did the first Xbox.

Sorry for no spacing and such I'm just giving out my opinion on the matter. Even though the user responsible for this topic is banned now.....

This post has been edited by DrPepperFan15: Mar 20 2007, 04:44 AM

luther349

• Archived User
Xbox Os From M$
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 04:58:00 AM »

they whont ever be a full os on any of the consoles from ms. the only reasion sony has to it couse they whanted to ps3 classfyed as a pc to avoide some taxes in the eu. now that does prove a point thow even if a console can run a full os ps2 anyone it does not mean it will death nail it. the ps2 runs linux and nope it didnt die it was still a hit the ps3 runs linux but its demise isnt couse of that but rather cost no games and relly bad markting. if the 360 ran its form of a full os like the ps3 sandboc mode aka no acess to the cpu only softwhere mode it acully wouldent hurt the 360 very mutch if at all. the xbox with some easy moding ran linux and it dint die.

point is histery has proven a console able to run a full os to date has not died from it. couse even with a full os installed the most people relly did from them was use firefox and gaim and maybe a game server from time to time. in fact my frend has xbox linux on his modbox and the only time he boots into it is to check gamefaqs or message me to get on my system to play him in something. 360 with a broswer and a messager is pretty mutch all most whant at least where getting the messanger.

for ms a full os whont happon but the 2 basic things people use are probly gonna make it to the system sooner or later if not the 360 then the next system. as or the web broswer they  shouldent do some weak port eyther but rather a full customised one with a interface suted for a 360 not even the wii or ps3 have that.

This post has been edited by luther349: Apr 14 2007, 12:07 PM

machineman9

• Archived User
Xbox Os From M$
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »

off topic i know, but why dont you just call M$, MS, or micrsoft...? seeing as that is what it is
Pages: [1] 2