xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: More lessons from XBLA on why XNA Community Games won't make you rich  (Read 924 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

More lessons from XBLA on why XNA Community Games won't make you rich
Posted by XanTium | September 29 21:34 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From letskilldave's blog:

Kim Pallister (oh, hey, yet another Microsoft colleague that went to Intel), wrote a nice commentary a few days ago on the marketing of indie games on XBLA, referencing the postmortem of Go Go Break Steady as a lesson about how marketing is so critical to the success of a game.  I'm not really talking about traditional marketing here, but am instead suggesting that word-of-mouth style marketing won't merely be optional, but will become your #1 priority when it comes to XNA Community Games.  The warning here is that you, as a Community Games Publisher, must be ready to launch promotions of your game to as many places as possible that will reach your target audience (hint: not a silly "teaser spot" on the Xbox that you might pay for Microsoft to promote).  However, I'm not telling you to spam places like Kotaku or 1up either (Brian Crescente would kill me if that happened).  Rather, you need to think through the kind of audience and message you want consumers to "get" about your game, then work with people that are experienced enough to help you market that game effectively, long before the game hits the Community Games Channel on the Xbox.

What does this mean in the end?  If you want your game to have big returns, you need to be prepared to have smart people help you promote the game.

Full Story: letskilldave.com

majik655

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »

Personally I do not like these slim models..

For some reason when I am looking at these consoles...when I see "SLIM" I think I am missing something and do not want to purchase it.   Even if I knew what it was missing I probably would not  buy it.

I also think of slim when the end of a console's life cycle has happened.

I could be totally wrong but this is what I think of (being a consumer)
I would just rather buy the "normal" console.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(majik655 @ Sep 30 2008, 04:01 AM) View Post

Personally I do not like these slim models..

For some reason when I am looking at these consoles...when I see "SLIM" I think I am missing something and do not want to purchase it.   Even if I knew what it was missing I probably would not  buy it.

I also think of slim when the end of a console's life cycle has happened.

I could be totally wrong but this is what I think of (being a consumer)
I would just rather buy the "normal" console.

Awesome...but what does that have to do with XNA games?

ubiman

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »

Just make a good game and it will spread itself. Unlike *cough* EA *cough*

Shod

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »

I dont think that "Go Go Break Steady" is a particularly good example of why marketing is essential to a games success.

I mean the game is 100% complete and utter crap, no amount of marketing can take that away! If the game was excellent but didnt sell because nobody knew about it, then yeah - I could see where they were coming from.

Yuyu

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »

"If you want your game to have big returns, you need to be prepared to have smart people help you promote the game."

Wow what awesome advice. I think the concept of having smart people make money for you has been around for awhile. I'm not sure reiteration of it here has done anything for it either.

ubiman

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(HotKnife420 @ Sep 29 2008, 11:04 PM) View Post

Awesome...but what does that have to do with XNA games?
I think that comment was meant for a different new article.

What Microsoft-India Has To Say About Xbox 360 Slim