xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: LetsKillDave Replies to Microsoft about Xbox LIVE Community Games  (Read 880 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

LetsKillDave Replies to Microsoft about Xbox LIVE Community Games
Posted by XanTium | July 30 18:26 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From David "LetsKillDave" Weller's Blog (who used to work at Microsoft's XNA):

Well, after one of my recent posts made CVG and Kotaku headlines, it seems that Microsoft felt compelled to respond to my issues.  I agree that offering easy ways to select games by top-rated/higests-sellers on the Xbox LIVE Marketplace is a great way to help consumers sort between the gems and the monkey poo.  In the end, I think the media picked up on the wrong parts of my blog post.  My key point was that there is no consumer-oriented mechanism in place to help consumers rate/comment on the games.  You certainly can't do that on the XNA Creator's Club site, nor can you on Xbox.com.  My emphasis here is that the community games approach is different from Xbox LIVE Arcade games, and that a new way of enabling developers to publish their games on Xbox LIVE warrants enabling consumers a way to comment on those published games.  We will know more when the fall Xbox dashboard update comes out.

Bandit5317

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »

Not a bad idea.

trentdadi

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »

I for one do not trust user comments.  No one is the same and everyone has different tastes, so why would I want to make my decision based on other's comments.  There have been games that people have said were terrible but I like and others I think are terrible that others really like.  Also a lot of people's opinions are biased and I am sure if they allowed some sort of comment system, they would all eventually turn into a flame war.

For most of these games, I am willing to bet you would be able to download the free trial much faster then it would take to go through a few pages of comments to get a general idea about the game.

Now some kind of suggestion box deal would be a great idea.  It would give the developers some pretty good ideas as to which direction they should be heading with their games.

readmore

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »

This guy will argue just for the sake of arguing.

There is a place users can rate and voice their viewes on a game. It's called the Xbox.com forums.

I only slightly trust the reviews of professional game sites, so why would I, or anyone else, want to see a rating system from the public? Have you see gamesites these days? People rate games and haven't even played them, or rate them based on the fact that they're fanboys. LAME IDEA

From the MS response:
"...there will be free trials of every community game available on Xbox Live as well as a detailed description..."

What more do you need? these games will cost like $2!!

teamparadox

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »

i guess this guy has never heard about reviews or forums...