xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Microsoft Gives 4 Extra Months to XNA Creators Club Members  (Read 466 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Microsoft Gives 4 Extra Months to XNA Creators Club Members
« on: April 23, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | April 23 16:27 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From the XNA Team Blog (FYI: MS owned blog):

As a gesture of thanks to our incredible community and especially those who have jumped on board the XNA Creators Club train earlier than others, we've extended each and every active XNA Creators Club membership that was active on March 5th by an additional 4 months.  This free 4 month extension covers everyone who has purchased a membership to the XNA Creators Club since our launch back on December 11th of last year.  This includes both the 4 month trial memberships as well as the 12 month annual ones.

We also were a little slower than intended in delivering against some of our community resources and assets as well as premium content and partner offerings.  That is changing now however with the March 5th launch of the XNA Creators Club Online community site.  We have a number of resources, starter kits and partner offerings lined up for release in the coming months.  There's plenty in store for our XNA Creators Club members who have purchased memberships and are looking for access to member-only benefits.

Thank you all for the great support and enthusiasm in using XNA Game Studio Express and passion for learning to create great games.  The update to XNA Game Studio Express 1.0 is right around the corner and it's a great release that brings quite a few enhancements and new features over our December 1.0 product.  I'm looking forward to even more games being shared with our new Club Packaging format that allows binary games to be shared among Club members on both Windows and Xbox 360!

Finally - the Dream-Build-Play warm-up challenge yielded some amazing results.  There's still ample time remaining for those considering entering the main event.  The submission deadline is July 2 which gives you a little more than 2 months to get cranking on your dream game.  That's more than enough time... right?  After all, the best game will get awarded an Xbox Live Arcade publishing contract! Head on over to http://dreambuildplay.com for more information and to register to compete if you haven't already.

mlapaglia

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »

cant wait to see some of the games that get made.

HamSandwhich

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »

I've not read into this XNA, and this is a bit off topic but, if someone made a game, would people without the XNA kit be able to play it? Like the XBLA, and in the future, not as this very moment in time of course.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »

Nice, of topic: I've never actually programmed before, I'm only good at web programming, would it be wise for me to start in XNA programming when I plan to get a 360 Elite in November (like learn on the PC for now).

I have 1 year experience in 3DStudioMax when I used it at College in Game Design, anyone got any pointers for me, I understand the language is C#? I feel like a noob happy.gif.

Edit, here is my final college piece

built from scratch in 6 months and I didn't know the program before.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 03:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Apr 23 2007, 10:26 PM) View Post

Nice, of topic: I've never actually programmed before, I'm only good at web programming, would it be wise for me to start in XNA programming when I plan to get a 360 Elite in November (like learn on the PC for now).

I have 1 year experience in 3DStudioMax when I used it at College in Game Design, anyone got any pointers for me, I understand the language is C#? I feel like a noob happy.gif.

i would love to start it too.

but i'm only interested in the 3d modelling/animation side of games development and i've only used lightwave and blender thus far, don;t have time to sit and learn them properly.

however i have programmed before, but it was in delphi.

dmitri

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »

For whoever is interested in XNA programming, I suggest joining one these two sites:

http://www.learnvisualstudio.net/ ($70 yr, $200 lifetime)
http://lynda.com/ ($25 mth, $250 year)

I have a lifetime subscription to the first site..  Their C# tutorial is amazing..  I've been doing basic programming (scripting) for several years and it helped me get a better handle on true programming.  You DL a workbook, review that and videos in each chapter, with links for extended details.

You have to understand the fundamentals and best practices of a language before you start programming..  Which is hard work with little reward..  Then the sky's the limit.

You can also get C#/Visual Studio/C++ / Object Oriented Programming training videos off Ebay for dirt cheap, but it makes you wonder where they came from..   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

-dp

halohack

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »

You know, I wouldn't mind using XNA so much except why is it so expensive?  Maybe if it was the cost of $100 for lifetime or something.  But $100 a year?  No sir, I'll just wait for some decent homebrew hacks and do it myself.

I can tell that they created XNA for a few reasons.  One, to compete with the PS3's homebrew half.  Two, to get more people into Visual C#, which in effect forces people onto Windows-only programming, helping to further a monopoly.  Three, maybe they hoped less people would try to hack for homebrew if they had it.  Sadly, the last reason they shot themselves in the foot on with the pricing.

If it was cheaper, I might give up 360 hacking.

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(halohack @ Apr 24 2007, 12:58 AM) *

You know, I wouldn't mind using XNA so much except why is it so expensive?  Maybe if it was the cost of $100 for lifetime or something.  But $100 a year?  No sir, I'll just wait for some decent homebrew hacks and do it myself.

I can tell that they created XNA for a few reasons.  One, to compete with the PS3's homebrew half.  Two, to get more people into Visual C#, which in effect forces people onto Windows-only programming, helping to further a monopoly.  Three, maybe they hoped less people would try to hack for homebrew if they had it.  Sadly, the last reason they shot themselves in the foot on with the pricing.

If it was cheaper, I might give up 360 hacking.

its not the pricing but couse its in sandbox mode that you still whant to hack the 360 for true homebrew. i wouldent mind 100$ a year if it was a full xdk and could run anykind of homebrew and boot linux. but it whont ever happon couse people would find a way to run backups even if used difrent keys and checks. hell we cant even acess the eathernet card in the xna.

This post has been edited by luther349: Apr 24 2007, 01:09 AM

BillMan

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »

Your very dumb right now to purchase and go through Microsofts scam on XNA.

All it is, is a money mak'n process to keep you away from homebrew.  Game devolpemt should be for free. So if everyone is smart, they will help get linux runing more effectively on the X360 before doing anything. We still need graphic drivers and etc to make it fully working.  

And maybe some skins like Xbox Media Center.  That is still way better then the new X360 skin.

All I'm saying is please reconsider before paying all these fee's.  Yes 1 person will come out ahead.  But we should spend our time getting further with the 360 for now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Hope this changes some peoples minds.   Remember Billy Boy is always right hehehehe

This post has been edited by BillMan: Apr 24 2007, 03:32 AM

Fantmx

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 06:23:00 AM »

QUOTE(BillMan @ Apr 24 2007, 02:57 AM) View Post

All it is, is a money mak'n process to keep you away from homebrew.  Game devolpemt should be for free. So if everyone is smart, they will help get linux runing more effectively on the X360 before doing anything. We still need graphic drivers and etc to make it fully working.  
And maybe some skins like Xbox Media Center.  That is still way better then the new X360 skin.

All I'm saying is please reconsider before paying all these fee's.  Yes 1 person will come out ahead.  But we should spend our time getting further with the 360 for now smile.gif
Hope this changes some peoples minds.   Remember Billy Boy is always right hehehehe
This is quite possibly one of the most unintelligent posts I have ever read on this board.  Why should game development be free?  Running games in Linux won't happen, and it is more than just drivers.

jgtevo

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(BillMan @ Apr 24 2007, 03:26 AM) View Post

All I'm saying is please reconsider before paying all these fee's.  Yes 1 person will come out ahead.  But we should spend our time getting further with the 360 for now smile.gif

Number of Successful Consoles in the Last 20 years to Offer Game Development Tools for Free: 0.