xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: XNA: Make your own Xbox360 games in 10 steps  (Read 1430 times)

HoRnEyDvL

• Administrator
XNA: Make your own Xbox360 games in 10 steps
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 02:27:00 AM »

Hmm i wonder id anyone will be able to code up apps to read the hdd & dvd key & possibly get some system info about the 360?

pholly

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 04:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(PedrosPad @ Dec 14 2006, 09:28 AM) View Post

Althrough I understand your view, I believe one of M$ goals is to encourage the next breed of programmers to use it's toolset.  These are already more job openings for C# .NET skills than for Flash skills.

If that's the case shouldn't this be free biggrin.gif  I still don't understand why we have to pay for this, it should be free IMO but whatever.

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 05:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(pholly @ Dec 14 2006, 12:55 PM) View Post

If that's the case shouldn't this be free biggrin.gif  I still don't understand why we have to pay for this, it should be free IMO but whatever.
I guess you have never heard of the 'art of reading'...

Programming in C# is 'free', compiling it with their compiler is 'free', even using it on your own PC is 'free'. The only thing that is not 'free' is running it on your Xbox 360, which is just a nice gimmick and more of an accessories for the Xbox 360 instead of an essential part of the programming suite. That's why it costs money.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 05:25:00 AM »

I guess I'm already up to step #6

A co-worker and I downloaded the beta a while back when that came out... it's really quite simple to work with (well as simple as programming can be without severely limiting you).

We might actually make a game if we could actually find the time.

riemerg

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 05:43:00 AM »

Sure, you need some basic programming skills before you can start making your first game. That is, you need to know what a for-loop does and what an if-structure is used for.

But the days that you had to write 300+ lines of code to display a triangle have long since gone. That's the whole idea behind XNA: it's in fact a wrapper around DirectX, that allows you to program games with ease. You no longer need to write code for setting up your screen (or a window, on the pc), you can start coding on your game from the first minute.

I've written my series of XNA tutorials so anyone with basic programming skills (no pointers or other advanced stuff) can finish them. It's number 7 in the list at the top of this page, so you first need to download the free Game Express Studio. Why don't you give them a try, and if you got some ideas for improvements/additional explanation, let me know!

http://www.riemers.n...g_a_project.php

bonevichio

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2006, 06:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(TechPagan @ Dec 14 2006, 02:18 PM) View Post

Sounds like riemerg is a fan boy or works for M$.  Maybe even Bill himself...hi Bill!!!  Everyone make sure you let Bill know your ideas for improvemnts because M$ always listens to us.  Maybe you can send you comments with the error logs XP (and Vista btw) generates and asks to be sent to M$ on a daily basis.  (Sorry if I sound bitter.  Just my two cents)

Did you really just sign up on the forum to post this crap?

Thanks for the tutorial riemerg!  A step in the right direction.

MeanMF

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2006, 07:22:00 AM »

11.  ???
12.  Profit!

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2006, 07:53:00 AM »

So easy, even a caveman can do it! biggrin.gif

IPB Image

PCBUILDERCHRIS

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2006, 09:13:00 AM »

if we could do this to 360 everone will want one remember back in the day when sony lied and said thet that extra port on the back of the ps (very first one) was for an extension to make your own games well 360 could knock sony off the block with this

c'mon microsoft let this happen and change gaming forever then people will be making games as demos and trying to get signed to game studios like a record label

openxdkman

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2006, 10:50:00 AM »

Most xna games you will find on internet will crash, show a black screen, have a too small window or not respond to your favorite joypad. It's quite depressing at first...

I've explained how to fix these problems (but you need game source for that, not many give it away) in this same forum (to see the posts, just click on "XNA Game Studio Express Forum" link at top of this page, then see the post "Spacewar starter kit (patches)").

Have fun...

TechPagan

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2006, 12:28:00 PM »

No, I've been planing on signing up for a while his post just gave me an excuse.  If I seemed to harsh or full of $hit than I do appoligize.  I have a great respect for the opinion of bonevichio you are one of my favorite posters (my migrane meds were wearing off so I get pissy).  I'm just sick of chasing the bones microsoft is throwing AT us.  If they are going to let us create our own games but limit the functionality of the hardware whats the point.  They are just inviting us to modify their code illegaly (I don't condone this btw) to gain the functionality we want.  At least they didn't go as far as Sony's limits to the hardware.  Not allowing access to the RSX is BS.

Mad-Man-666

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2006, 02:18:00 PM »

ive been waiting for this.

i dont really see why they would limit what we can do with the games. but it is M$

cowsn

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2006, 04:09:00 PM »

yea, im pumped to make some sick games.  anyone know if u can make networked games? including xbox and pc can playing together?

lol, i cant wait for xbox 360 homebrew viruses tongue.gif

crobar

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2006, 08:09:00 AM »

i wish i actually had time for this....
i've done some little pieces of game "code" in flash...but i barley had time to do  that....

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2006, 08:53:00 AM »

I think a good first XNA app would be a flash player... though I'm fairly certain MS has already made one... isn't that what Hexic runs on?
Pages: 1 [2] 3