xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: XNA: Make your own Xbox360 games in 10 steps  (Read 1403 times)

crobar

• Archived User
XNA: Make your own Xbox360 games in 10 steps
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2006, 09:44:00 AM »

yeah i think so...but in order to make one yourself you would either need a licsence from adobe/macromedia or the open source files that are floating around...ope source wouldn't cut it i don't think.
what would be cool is if micro soft offered the plug-in as part of the package...
either way id love to get into c#
all i need is time lol

edwinmcdunlap

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2006, 01:40:00 PM »

Someone should port XBMC

terezin

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2006, 06:02:00 PM »

Knowing entirely nothing about XNA programming i ask this question.

Can someone make a Xvid / Divx player ??

What sort of Appz can be made using this system, are there any restrictions?

It would be sweet if we could play all media types.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2006, 02:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(terezin @ Dec 17 2006, 03:09 AM) View Post

Knowing entirely nothing about XNA programming i ask this question.

Can someone make a Xvid / Divx player ??

What sort of Appz can be made using this system, are there any restrictions?

It would be sweet if we could play all media types.

This question is a very fair one and one that is going to keep coming up in one form or another for a good while.

Microsoft .NET languages (which include C#) compile down to a byte code rather than true CPU machine language.  This byte code is then interpreted by an engine when executed.

Due to the overhead of interpretation, this form of code can not execute as fast as native machine code.

Further more, the runtime engine – that performs the byte code interpretation – also limits what actions are permissible.  These restrictions include direct/uncontrolled access to memory – such as video memory, sound chip access, etc.

These characteristics of the runtime environment restrict possible applications.  The processing of DivX codecs, etc. typically need to run at full speed (to maintain the video frame rate), and achieve this by unencumbered direct access to video and sound chips.

So an XBMC clone implemented using XNA/C# is very unlikely.  That said, if the hardware is up to it, and interpretation fast enough, surprises can happen.  Emulators of old consoles work along similar lines to that described above (as does the X360’s XBOX1 backwards compatibility to an extent) and they achieve in software what the original consoles used to rely on custom chips to perform.

Cixus

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2006, 03:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(PedrosPad @ Dec 17 2006, 10:56 PM) View Post

Microsoft .NET languages (which include C#) compile down to a byte code rather than true CPU machine language.  This byte code is then interpreted by an engine when executed.

Due to the overhead of interpretation, this form of code can not execute as fast as native machine code.

Further more, the runtime engine – that performs the byte code interpretation – also limits what actions are permissible.  These restrictions include direct/uncontrolled access to memory – such as video memory, sound chip access, etc.

These characteristics of the runtime environment restrict possible applications.  The processing of DivX codecs, etc. typically need to run at full speed (to maintain the video frame rate), and achieve this by unencumbered direct access to video and sound chips.

I agree with you on that bytecode languages runs slower than machine code, but do we know how the 360 runs the code? Since the XNA developers are probably quite familiar with the x360's cpu (is it Xerxes or something?) and should be able to optimize it as good as possible.
Another thing, isn't XNA based on DirectX instructions and SDK? In that case there shouldn't be that big difference in performance beetween XNA games/"apps" and retail games.
But I guess we'll have to wait until they implement video playback in the framework, which seems likely, at least if you check their database for feature suggestions: https://connect.micr...aspx?SiteID=226 (Registration required, search for Xna or something like that)

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2006, 06:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(Cixus @ Dec 18 2006, 12:14 PM) View Post

I agree with you on that bytecode languages runs slower than machine code, but do we know how the 360 runs the code? Since the XNA developers are probably quite familiar with the x360's cpu (is it Xerxes or something?) and should be able to optimize it as good as possible.
Another thing, isn't XNA based on DirectX instructions and SDK? In that case there shouldn't be that big difference in performance beetween XNA games/"apps" and retail games.
But I guess we'll have to wait until they implement video playback in the framework, which seems likely, at least if you check their database for feature suggestions: https://connect.micr...aspx?SiteID=226 (Registration required, search for Xna or something like that)

Agreed - but is "as good as possible" good enough for XBMC?  I suspect that XBMC is one of the (if not the) most demanding applications on the XBOX1 (in terms of constant data throughput) (more so than most games).

If/when M$ add video playback to the framework, it'll be limited to a WMV codec, that has the video/audio stream already prepared in the most appropriate/efficient manner for playback – not the wide variety of formats/codecs that make XBMC such a jewel.

(Of course, following the recent Dashboard update, the X360 can already playback back *.WMV video files from CD/DVD, negating the need for an XBMC with that restriction).

Supaninja

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2006, 05:14:00 AM »

if i could make my own game with xna ,burn to a disc  and run directly in my 360, that would be great...

highbomber

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(MeanMF @ Dec 14 2006, 03:29 PM) View Post

11.  ???
12.  Profit!

Heh, South Park.

For those that are having a hard time learning C#, try learning Visual Basic first. It is much more user friendly and teaches rookies complicated structures but in an almost english language. It is the first computer language I learned.

Caddenmods

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »

Hi guys.

Would it be possible for a complete programming noob to learn this, and actually make a semi decent game?

I am very interested in the possibility.

My brother when he was eight mastered programming a spectrum Z80 or whatever it was, now he is a very respected programmer.

God damn it should be in my blood. biggrin.gif

MattyT

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2007, 03:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(Caddenmods @ Feb 2 2007, 10:53 PM) View Post

Hi guys.

Would it be possible for a complete programming noob to learn this, and actually make a semi decent game?

I am very interested in the possibility.

My brother when he was eight mastered programming a spectrum Z80 or whatever it was, now he is a very respected programmer.

God damn it should be in my blood. biggrin.gif

haha, Its a great way to start  biggrin.gif

clevx

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(Topho @ Dec 13 2006, 10:19 PM) *

They make it sound WAY!!!! to easy. I ONLY wish it were that easy, but its not. I've spent the last 2 years trying to learn this stuff and its next to impossible to get anywhere. I've had zero luck.

You want to type 150 lines of code for a tree dialog structure. Yeah, me either. Alas Oh how I wish I could code and code well. (Emulators anyone?)

I've read 3 C++ books, One C book, and a half of a C# book and I have nothing (read zip) to show for it. No Surreal 2 or any other awesome homebrew. All I've got is a dos box streaming my name by me at 1,000 lines per second. Now that's coding.

OMG!!  I feel the same way!  It's like you sit there for hours coding, you compile it and run it, and you got a nice little interactive TEXT game with virtually no graphics (maybe a frame or window, etc...)..

Eck!  I'd love to be able to do it seriously though!

machineman9

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2007, 05:39:00 AM »

i cant wait to try this... i hope it wont be too hard, ive been learning C++ for a bit and it seems quite similar. Do you need to buy anything to get it to work (except PC/X360/controller)?
Pages: 1 2 [3]