xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: XNA: Make your own Xbox360 games in 10 steps  (Read 1402 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
XNA: Make your own Xbox360 games in 10 steps
« on: December 13, 2006, 11:06:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | December 14 00:30 EST

Fiercedeveloper.com posted the 10 steps to start developing homebrew games for the Xbox360 with Microsoft's ('free') XNA Game Studio Express released earlier this week:

1. GET C# Express!
2. GET XNA Game Studio Express!
3. Download the XNA Framework
4. Learn C#! (here or here)
5. Check out the sample programs!
6. Learn XNA!
7. Learn more XNA!
8. Make Pong!
9. Look at sample code! (from xnaspot.com, xbox360homebrew.com or xnaresources.com)
10. Join the Creator Club to get your game onto the xBOX!

Full Story: fiercedeveloper.com

sbmd

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 10:29:00 PM »

This is very cool.

Can't wait to see some games by people on these boards out there!!

vax11780

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 10:33:00 PM »

Ahhh... C#.... MS's own homebrew object oriented language...

I always like to understand the corporate reasoning behind such things. Was C# the result of MS getting their asses handed to the by Sun? I can just imagine BG ranting and throwing chairs when informed MS couldn't "improve" Java....

Grin,
VAX

DJsquare

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 10:36:00 PM »

so does this mean home brew is coming to the 360?

MeanMF

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 10:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(vax11780 @ Dec 14 2006, 06:04 AM) View Post

I always like to understand the corporate reasoning behind such things. Was C# the result of MS getting their asses handed to the by Sun? I can just imagine BG ranting and throwing chairs when informed MS couldn't "improve" Java....

They DID "improve" Java..That's what C# is.

XanTium

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 10:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(DJsquare @ Dec 14 2006, 06:07 AM) View Post

so does this mean home brew is coming to the 360?

Homebrew games? yes, if you pay MS's 99$/y Creator Club subscription. However it will still require your PC connected to your 360 ... as code will stream from PC and not run directly form 360 DVD/HD.  Maybe at a later date, MS will put the best/coolest homebrew games available on LIVE for everybody (without need for Creator Club subscription or PC).

Homebrew applications? no, XNA Game Studio Express is made to dev games ... it's not possible to make an XBMC with it or so.

xzenor

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 10:49:00 PM »

WOW!!!  blink.gif  They make it sound like a complete idiot can make games. PPFFFTTT, NOT!!!

unclepauly

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 10:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(xzenor @ Dec 14 2006, 12:56 AM) View Post

WOW!!!  blink.gif  They make it sound like a complete idiot can make games. PPFFFTTT, NOT!!!

LOL!!! I seen it and was like "well, I think I'll try this out" then gave it a look see and quickly changed my attitude.  ohmy.gif  I'm sure if I dug in and put some effort towards it I might be able to make some pos game but screw that, I gots some Gears to play.  smile.gif

Topho

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 11:48:00 PM »

They make it sound WAY!!!! to easy. I ONLY wish it were that easy, but its not. I've spent the last 2 years trying to learn this stuff and its next to impossible to get anywhere. I've had zero luck.

You want to type 150 lines of code for a tree dialog structure. Yeah, me either. Alas Oh how I wish I could code and code well. (Emulators anyone?)

I've read 3 C++ books, One C book, and a half of a C# book and I have nothing (read zip) to show for it. No Surreal 2 or any other awesome homebrew. All I've got is a dos box streaming my name by me at 1,000 lines per second. Now that's coding.

This post has been edited by Topho: Dec 14 2006, 07:50 AM

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 11:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(xzenor @ Dec 13 2006, 10:56 PM) View Post

rotfl.gif

If it's only 10 steps it must be easy! laugh.gif

Gohan5052

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 12:10:00 AM »

you dont have to have it connected to ur pc at all times its only whe youre playing a new build or playing it for the first time after that you can just access it from the hd

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 12:12:00 AM »

pretty cool either way.. cant wait to see some skills.

now from what Xant said, does that mean only the people who pay can play them, or create them, both?

because id be a little less than excited if people made some really cool homebrew i cant play.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 12:56:00 AM »

Regarding distribution for XNA homebrew...
Distributing XNA title binaries appears to have been made deliberately challenging  dry.gif, but nothing prevents you simply zipping, uploading, and hosting your XNA title sources on a web site (X-S could start an area  wink.gif Strike that - SourceForge would be a more appropriate host) for other XNA users to download, compile, and execute, and enjoy  smile.gif .  No IP protection, but your work can be enjoyed by others without M$'s involvement  (i.e. The OpenSource distribution model  biggrin.gif ).

NB: No doubt C# source code obfuscation tools appear to temporarily address the IP issue.

jizmo

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 01:36:00 AM »

If they really wanted to give people an easy chance of coding their own games, MS could've just put in a flash player. It's much easier to get anything up and running with it and x360 would've easily have the power to run even graphically intensive flash games.

This way they kind of give you a chance, but make it too cumbersome and expensive to anyone to try out.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 01:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(jizmo @ Dec 14 2006, 10:07 AM) View Post

If they really wanted to give people an easy chance of coding their own games, MS could've just put in a flash player. It's much easier to get anything up and running with it and x360 would've easily have the power to run even graphically intensive flash games.

Althrough I understand your view, I believe one of M$ goals is to encourage the next breed of programmers to use it's toolset.  These are already more job openings for C# .NET skills than for Flash skills.
Pages: [1] 2 3