xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Kinect will support Indie developers  (Read 800 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Kinect will support Indie developers
« on: August 02, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | August 2 17:22 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From examiner.com:

In an interview with Edge Magazine, Tsunoda confirms that Indie games will be supported but, "Obviously we're just focusing on the launch games at the moment. But you're going to hear more - it's a big part of Xbox. Indie games a big part of the platform, and timelines will come later."

Microsoft's XNA development platform will obviously have to receive an update for Indie developers to be able to begin using Kinect.  Currently, there is no word on when that update might happen.

Microsoft has also said that while the launch games for Kinect focus on "casual" gamers, "core" gamers should expect games that fit their style within 18 months of its launch on November 5th, 2010.

Full Story: examiner.com

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »

awesome! i think i'm going to postpone finishing my game till i'm able to get my hands on kinect and try out some ideas.

thesonandheir

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »

Microsoft has also said that while the launch games for Kinect focus on "casual" gamers, "core" gamers should expect games that fit their style within 18 months of its launch on November 5th, 2010.

Sounds like 'get ready for Wii style shovelware for a year and a half until we get our arse in gear'

Then we will get a few AA titles with our weekly load of Wii style shovelware.

Pardon me for not being interested in this massive turd sandwich.

SovietSlayer

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 03:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(thesonandheir @ Aug 2 2010, 04:43 PM) View Post

Sounds like 'get ready for Wii style shovelware for a year and a half until we get our arse in gear'

Then we will get a few AA titles with our weekly load of Wii style shovelware.
Pardon me for not being interested in this massive turd sandwich.

I've played a few good india aka arcade games (geo wars, marble blast ultra) but I wouldn't compare them to Wii shovelware games, those are 'real' albeit bad games.

Knasen

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »

I really want Kinect to be a success but lets be honest, 18 months after release before some (hopefully) good games is coming out for it is way too far away. All the games shown at last E3 were bland, except for maybe that dance game. Sorry MS but this smells like a big failure.

This post has been edited by Knasen: Aug 3 2010, 07:32 PM

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »

i guess casual gamers are the beta testers. as much as i'd like to see cool "core" games now, i'm ok with core games with little kinect tie ins (metal gear, that starwars game), some fun casual/party games for now, and the promise of innovative stuff coming out once the devs really know how to take advantage of the platform.

honestly, it takes time to make a game, and 18 months just tells me they are talking about games that are actually made for kinect, and not "oh, lets add kinect to our game" as an after thought.

This post has been edited by Reaper527: Aug 3 2010, 08:01 PM