xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Microsoft Unlocks Game Development and Encourages 'Dream-Build-Play'  (Read 209 times)

deeceefar2

• Archived User

The title seems very misleading they didn't do anything different with game development all they did was offer up a prize for developing games for xbox live, since they really don't want to commit first/second party resources to it.  The title seems to imply that they are changing restrictions on development for xbox live when they aren't.

metalcoat

• Archived User
Microsoft Unlocks Game Development and Encourages 'Dream-Build-Play'
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 06:43:00 AM »

Dream-Build-Play is open to any user of XNA Game Studio Express, including the GarageGames Torque X platform. No purchase is necessary to compete.

If that means what I think it does, then isn't it $99 just to start. This is what I get right from the microsoft webpage
XNA FAQ

Q: How much does XNA Game Studio Express cost? Is there a difference between Windows and Xbox 360 development?
A: Visual C# Express, the XNA Game Studio Express tools and runtime environment for Windows are all FREE. To develop, debug and/or play games on the Xbox 360, however, you must have an XNA Creators Club subscription purchased directly from the Xbox Live Marketplace. Two subscription options are available: $99 per year or $49 per four months.

Yeh, so I can have all the tools for free but to actually test them, play them, and develop them on the 360 I need $49 for a four month subscription. No Purchase Necessary my ass.

frieko

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 08:27:00 AM »

So in other words, everybody pays them $99 for a chance to win $10,000. Sounds like the lottery, except you have to spend hundreds of hours programming  blink.gif

XNA is a trap. If they really cared about homebrew they would DROP THE DAMN SUBSCRIPTION FEE! Long live the hypervisor exploit  tongue.gif

ProphetOfPain

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(Math1 @ Mar 5 2007, 05:29 PM) View Post

I don't much like hte fee structure for XNA on 360, but I really like hte tools. THey have done a great job creating this. If nothing else, if I were a real dev, I would be using this for fast prototyping. It is limited in some ways, but it is really fast to get somethign up and running.

True.  Regardless of subscriptions and what not, this really could open the door wide open for whoever the lucky delevoper may be who wins.  Think of it like American Idol for xbox, without the nudity.  biggrin.gif  Seriously, I hope someone wins who really deserves to and who knows what will follow.  At the very least, to have your game offered up on XBL plus the cash is an honor in itself.  And hey, we get a kick ass game (I hope).  Good luck to anyone developing with XNA.

fuerio

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »

If anyone here is seriously going to build a new game for this I would be interested in doing sound design
and music for a game.. I'm able to develop 100% original music and sound fx pretty quickly. If you are
interested, drop me a line.