xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: XNA SharpNES - the first NES Emulator for Xbox 360 and XNA  (Read 1160 times)

The Zep Man

• Archived User
XNA SharpNES - the first NES Emulator for Xbox 360 and XNA
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2007, 03:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(luther349 @ Jan 28 2007, 05:03 AM) View Post

then your no coder. unoptimized code and run relly relly slow. even a 8 bit emulator. i have done 2d games in my time and unoptiized it runs like shit on my 1.8 mhz pc but optmized it runs fine in a 486.
Doh... wink.gif

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2007, 05:26:00 AM »

acully i spoke to a xna coder today after i posted that. he says it has a garbage collection  system and it can be very slow. bascily if it memery leaks it toses it in garbage. bascily couse of this system its cousing some slowdowns unfortanly he does not have a 360 to acully compile test runs to see whats cousing it to slowdown its just his knolage of the ce net system and xna. we also talked abought acully getting a rom loader working so we where reading some docs on how it acesses the hd and memery cards. he beleves getting it at fullspeed whont be to hard we didnt relly do talk to mutch abought sound.

my frends is a very good coder if i can get him to work on it we can acully probly get everything working hes done some nifty stuff with limited code befor.

boocupbup

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2007, 06:09:00 AM »

For 50 usd I'll sell u my nes and star wars cart. Good work none the less.

d-range

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2007, 07:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(luther349 @ Jan 28 2007, 01:33 PM) View Post
acully i spoke to a xna coder today after i posted that. he says it has a garbage collection  system and it can be very slow. bascily if it memery leaks it toses it in garbage.

That's true, though you wont be able to eliminate all gc overhead by fixing memory leaks. You might be able to tune it and keep the overhead to a minimum... For some purposes gc can actually be faster than doing all memory management in your code, but not for emulators I think.

QUOTE(luther349 @ Jan 28 2007, 01:33 PM) View Post
he beleves getting it at fullspeed whont be to hard we didnt relly do talk to mutch abought sound.

my frends is a very good coder if i can get him to work on it we can acully probly get everything working hes done some nifty stuff with limited code befor.

I'm pretty sure he can get it at full speed if he ported it in a few hours like you said. Not sure about the sound though, I'm not an XNA/C# expert but I'd think it proper sound emulation using XNA would be very hard, even harder than the PCM-type audio that modern consoles use. It's cool stuff anyway, but I'm still holding my breath for real, unrestricted homebrew...

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(47_M450N_47 @ Jan 27 2007, 02:46 PM) View Post

I don't want to pay 100 freaking dollars.

Yet you are willing to pay all that money or all that work to illegally mod your 360.What about 2 years of xbox live? 100 dollars a year is less than paying monthly for an MMO and you can do alot morehtings through XNA.

100 dollars is nothing for most of the people on this forum, they just want something to bitch at Microsoft about.

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »

I haven't done ANY modifications whatsoever to my 360.  And I haven't had Xbox Live for 2 years either.  Also I don't play any MMOs.  I just want an express version because I don't want to program anything on the 360, I just want to be able to run the programs.  Shoot I'd pay MS 50 bucks or whatever for it, just not 100 per year.

hwnd

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(d-range @ Jan 28 2007, 03:45 PM) View Post

I'm pretty sure he can get it at full speed if he ported it in a few hours like you said.

For sure.  Most of the SharpNES code is incredibly inefficient in terms of memory usage.  It has nothing to do with XNA, it has everything to do with starting with unoptimized code that runs poorly on a PC to begin with.  He can easily get it to full speed.  

-h

TheIrishLad

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »

Pretty pricey for just playing the NES.

Great work though!

ausmods

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »

Itll be good to get true homebrew running........and by that i mean not paying the gay $99 fee just to be able to run the programs (im also cheap aswell lol)

Textbook

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2007, 06:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(mike96sc2 @ Jan 27 2007, 07:54 PM) View Post

Exactly, people are saying XNA is shit because he did nothing but throw the code at the port in an hour or two tops.

I think 99% of the whiners just want a hacked console for piracy. It's pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Btw, the next asshole who says I don't know shit about emulation or emulators such as the Dreamcast scene where they used a 100% legal development environment vs. the Xbox scene needs to produce their own NES emulator for the Xbox.

To the whiners. Put up or shut up. If you don't like XNA, then hack the Xbox 360 yourself, don't troll the forums though.

quote from TwistedSymphony's blog ThoughtHead, commenting on why PS3 homebrew is not important.

The modification aspect for bragging rights has a minor role in the motivation here as well, but that kind of merit badge is void if the console has the ability to run homebrew built in.

That's one reason why people would rather have native hombrew instead of the XNA.  The other?  Obviously price.

@Mike96sc2, I have the firmware hack and 35 blank DL discs.  Blank.  You know why they're blank?  Because I don't enjoy playing games any more.  I have more fun hacking the system itself than I do playing it.  I haven't been on Live since December 10th.  If I wanted piracy like you claim, wouldn't I be content with the firmware hacks?  I had fun learning about the drive firmware, but I want more.  I wan to be able to run native homebrew, and mostly because it's something that we're not supposed to be able to do.  It's more for me about the actual "doing it" then it is "using it".

iwanttheagrocrag

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2007, 06:51:00 AM »

this is great maybe more ppl will make programs and stuff easier cuz it works on the pc too, the olny this that obviosly sucks is you could get another live subscrition (wich im already agianst) for that money. its just another way to nickel and dime us to death.

MattyT

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »

Excellent news, And jesus H christ can people stop whinning about the problem with speed  grr.gif ?! The fact that XNA Racer comes as a starter kit shows XNA's potential. Consider this:-

10 years ago would a windows 95 machine have been able to run XNA racer like the 360 can? No.  dry.gif  And yet NES emulators were made to run at 100% on a windows 95 running PC a decade ago. The difference my freinds is optimization.  love.gif

All XNA needs is time.

Millenia1x

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(Textbook @ Jan 29 2007, 02:17 PM) View Post

@Mike96sc2, I have the firmware hack and 35 blank DL discs.  Blank.  You know why they're blank?  Because I don't enjoy playing games any more.  I have more fun hacking the system itself than I do playing it.  I haven't been on Live since December 10th.  If I wanted piracy like you claim, wouldn't I be content with the firmware hacks?  I had fun learning about the drive firmware, but I want more.  I wan to be able to run native homebrew, and mostly because it's something that we're not supposed to be able to do.  It's more for me about the actual "doing it" then it is "using it".

I gotta agree with you on the hacking part
its far funner to hack the console and learn more about it and do something that makes you feel good than play a game on live where theres a bunch of little kids that whine and whine and talk shit

i like xna though, it could possibly lead to another exploit, maybe one in the xna software

and mike i don't understand why your getting so mad at a little comment like that
stop acting like a kid

Millenia1x

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »

its pretty easy to see that microsoft limits the 360 hardware as far as xna goes

pretty sad too

MattyT

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(Textbook @ Jan 29 2007, 01:17 PM) View Post

December the 10th? Please tell me your getting somewhere!  biggrin.gif  laugh.gif  jester.gif

I also completley agree with what your saying, Native homebrew would put up far less walls for programmers than the XNA probably will sad.gif.
Pages: 1 2 [3]