xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: XNA SharpNES - the first NES Emulator for Xbox 360 and XNA  (Read 1157 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
XNA SharpNES - the first NES Emulator for Xbox 360 and XNA
« on: January 26, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | January 27 01:01 EST

'Lone Coder' released the first 'indie' emulator for the Xbox360. No, the Xbox360 is not 'hacked' to run unsigned code (yet) ... 'XNA SharpNES' is made with 'XNA Game Studio Express', the Microsoft dev tool released last month aimed at helping students and hobbyists build games for Windows and the Xbox 360. While the tool is developed to program indie games, and  not really made/optimized to make other stuff/applications, it looks like 'Lone Coder' managed to use it to port a NES (8-bit Nintendo) emulator :)

Note that to run this on your Xbox360 you will need a 'Creators Club' account ($99/12m or $49/4m) on your LIVE subscription and both Visual C# Studio Express (free) + XNA Game Studio Express (free) installed on your Windows PC. The emulator will also run on Windows, if you have the XNA Framework installed.

From the readme/nfo:

XNA SharpNES the first NES emulator for the xbox 360 and XNA.
If you'd like to talk about this project my gamer tag is Lone Coder or you can email me at bryanlivingston -AT- gmail.com

This is a conversion of SharpNES by Jonathan Turner. Converting it only took a couple of hours.

It runs at 60% or 70% of normal speed on the 360, so it's playable but slow. There's probably some very easy optimizations and cleanups to be done still.
Right now there is no ROM loading menu, so to switch ROMs you have to include the ROM in the SharpNES360 project and set it to "Copy to Output Directory", then edit the filename in Program.cs.

This requires a creators club account which runs $99 a year or $49 for four months.  You'll also need Visual C# Studio Express which is free.

Buttons: A = A ; B = X or B ; Start = Start ; Select = Back ; Up, Down, Left, Right = D-Pad ; Exit Emulator = RB (Right Shoulder Button)

What's Missing:
* Second Controller
* Sound
* Saving or State Saving
* Rom Loading Menu

Supported Mappers: Mappers 1 (mostly), 2, 3, 4 (mostly), 7 (partial), 9 (mostly), 10, 11 (partial), 22 (partial), 34, 64 (partial), 66

Official Site: http://code.google.com/p/xnasharpnes/
Download: here (latest release) (subversion rep. (latest code))

gsharpshooter

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »

no need for nes or any emus i got psp to do that

Mr_Milenko

• TeamUIX
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »

dude way to shit on peoples parade..

anyway.. Its cool that people are getting stuff written like this, since the XNA wasnt written to do this.. and they did it anyway.. people just gotta figure shit out and probably get other shit (loaders etc) to run..

Congrats to the author and to whoever has the account to run the shit.. have fun

dkkev

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »

kudos!:D
im for one happy to see this project alive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
as said XNA wasnt designed for this.. but nevertheless (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

anyhoo - i think imma wait untill theres a proper emu out that does sound and run at 100% speed.. -

mike96sc2

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(gsharpshooter @ Jan 26 2007, 11:35 PM) View Post

no need for nes or any emus i got psp to do that

PSP? Those haven't died out yet?

gordita37

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 10:55:00 PM »

sweet! never gonna use it but sweet none the less!

mlapaglia

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 11:37:00 PM »

my heart almost skipped a beat... then i saw XNA was involved..

PHC oMaLz

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »

Yo this could be a good start to many things to come....good job..... has neone  tried it out yet I hace xna but im getting a bunch of errors when it builds

hwnd

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 11:42:00 PM »

wow. no love for the xna emus?  so sad.

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 01:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(hwnd @ Jan 27 2007, 07:49 AM) View Post

wow. no love for the xna emus?  so sad.
Paying 100 bucks per year to run my own programs on my own console (in a sandboxed environment) is just... 'too bad'. I will still wait until the first true homebrew-allowing mod will be released.

PHC oMaLz

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 01:03:00 AM »

i can confirm that this works threw XNA but many things need to be done to get this to 100% it runs at about 75% on zelda 2 and alil slower wheni tried to use bases loaded but it works .......good job .......... now all thats left is the tweaking.........lol  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleeping.gif)

This post has been edited by PHC oMaLz: Jan 27 2007, 09:04 AM

skEwb

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 02:53:00 AM »

All we need now is VLC ported or some sort of open source media player so we can start watching x264 on it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Xbox-noob

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 03:17:00 AM »

i dont know shit about programing but cant you just transfer the program to the hdd and run it from there.

d-range

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 04:34:00 AM »

Nice work, but the fact that a straight port of a NES emulator already runs slowly on a 360 tells me enough about XNA already. Sure, XNA wasn't designed for this, but a 360 literally has about 3000 times the processing power that a NES has. Even an unoptimized, naive, 100% interpreted (no dynarec) implementation should easily be able to run at full speed.
'
So I think we can safely rule out PSX/PS2/PSP/NGC emulation using XNA. SNES/GBA/Megadrive might just barely be possible if some really smart guy throws his skills into it. I don't count on it though...

DrPepperFan15

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 04:51:00 AM »

I'd like to mention that this is quite possibly the greatest thing that has been made for the Xbox 360 in terms of modding considering "Lone Coder" you have created what I would call an amazing feat' and contribution to the scene and everywhere else that would inspire people to do further research and experiments with the Xbox 360 to get this system under our own control even closer by the day!

So I'll also say thank you for getting us closer to softmodding and exploiting the Xbox 360 by releasing this little hint that proves homebrew and money combined still have a chance at hacking this 360!

This post has been edited by DrPepperFan15: Jan 27 2007, 12:52 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3