xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: XNA Game Studio Express Has Been Released!  (Read 1784 times)

infamous_Q

• Archived User
XNA Game Studio Express Has Been Released!
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2006, 03:08:00 PM »

i thikn ur right...they did also mention taking polls or at least getting feedback from teh community about what features they'd like to be put in. however there are problems with this:

a) allowing development of a media center in 360 will take away from the windows MCE market, especially with vista's debut just around the corner
b ) some features won't get put in regardless due to security issues
c) everyone still has to pay for this.

they should definitely have developer licenses for $99 and enable us to download finished products for free and send them to the 360, whether through removable media, LAN, or a cd/dvd.

[Prophet]

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2006, 03:56:00 PM »

As far as what I've heard (albeit its been a while since I've read up on XNA), it is possible to play games created with XNA over XBL, and you can download other games created by the community.  Personally ignoring all my hopes of a true homebrew community where we can have XBMC and emulators, I think Microsoft have gone about this in a very smart way.  To create programs like XBMC you would need to give programmers access a far larger command set and much lower level access to the core of the system, this is opening pandora's box for microsoft.  This could open up the softmodding scene, running in a sandbox with a reduced command set gives Microsoft piece of mind, and satisfies developers who wish to create games.

I don't think all the people who say why can't we get XBMC, or give us "real homebrew" realise the risk this entails for Microsoft, afterall legal homebrew is just in its first iteration on consoles, they have to protect their investment.  Sony have left themselves wide open to be hacked (with my limited knowledge of their homebrew system).

Just think of it this way people, essentially you pay $100 per year, to get unlimited access to community created xbox live arcade games, and if you want, you can help in the development of some titles.  Forget about XBMC, its just a pipedream at the moment.

Hmerly

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2006, 04:00:00 PM »

XNA is going to be a fantastic thing for MS and the 360.  I see in the future so much potential in terms of user created games, apps, whatever you can imagine.  I can't wait to see what some people will cook up in a year's time.  MS is genius for deploying this.  

Here's a little bit about XNA and what it can do.  The video is at the bottom.

http://channel9.msdn...x?postid=261254

posure

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »

XBMC won't make it to 360 via XNA unless they add support for C++. That said, I think XNA should be pretty cool and I will probably buy a subscription anyways just to play around with it.

82_Z28

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2006, 04:28:00 PM »

lets step back a bit and remember microsoft's stance on homebrew for the xbox 1.
It really didn't seem all that bad.  There main concern was the loss on money due to piracy.

Now I can understand not wanting to leave a loophole open for homebrew because they don't want people to create and use backups...
but ummm...

the firmware mods have been around for some time now and don't seem to be leaving any time soon.  

So way are they still so scared to let in homebrew?

Does it really all come down to their upcomming vista sales like infamous_Q said?

[Prophet]

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2006, 05:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(Casper1786 @ Dec 12 2006, 01:37 AM) View Post

I just can't see myself paying $100 a year to use homebrew i don't do dev, no free time for such a thing i just barly get time to enjoy my gaming as it is. I wish us non devs could enjoy the fruits of these creators at no cost or maybe just a reg XBL Sub but an extra $100 a year, I see a slow pace or lots of ppl pissed off cause they paid out for the sub with no intent to dev and feel ripped off when nothing good is avail for homebrew apps or games, i do see great things coming don't get me wrong but being a non dev i refuse to pay money for homebrew, specially if that money isn't going to the developers, how much of that fee is going back into the XNA studio for Devs?

I think you've got your mentality around the wrong way...

If anything active developers in the community should be allowed to do it for free, and everyone using it has to pay.  If you don't want to use it fine, its not going to appeal to everyone, but paying the equivalent of 1.5 retail games to have access to 100's or possibly 1000's of games in the long run will still appeal to quite a few xbox owners.

Hmerly

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2006, 05:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(82_Z28 @ Dec 11 2006, 05:35 PM) View Post

lets step back a bit and remember microsoft's stance on homebrew for the xbox 1.
It really didn't seem all that bad.  There main concern was the loss on money due to piracy.

Now I can understand not wanting to leave a loophole open for homebrew because they don't want people to create and use backups...
but ummm...

the firmware mods have been around for some time now and don't seem to be leaving any time soon.  

So way are they still so scared to let in homebrew?

Does it really all come down to their upcomming vista sales like infamous_Q said?

Umm, the whole idea of XNA is homebrew basically.....MS just wants to secure it so they get something out of it.

infamous_Q

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2006, 05:42:00 PM »

...i think the whole thing should be free. linux sure is for the ps3. lol

EDIT: to above post, if you ask me XNA is M$'s nice way of keeping people from not wanting to have actual homebrew. in allowing us just a little bit of development ability they're thinking that they will be able to please the public enough so that they won't bother trying to hack open teh 360 enough to allow for full homebrew (and unsigned code and pirated games). if ne thing XNA is M$'s solution to stopping the homebrew scene in its tracks. That's exactly what linux is on the ps3, except ps3 was slightly dumber doing it with an open source OS, microsoft is just keeping tabs on what we can and can't do. so if you think about it...this may appease the general public enough that homebrew is no longer needed; in which case they've succeeded and all software/hardware mods are either for piracy or in hopes of one day having unlimited access to the 360.

if you ask me they'd probably be fine just limiting access to editing the kernel and overall bios, or completely removing it, and opening total access to the system. they just have to make sure that they don't allow xna programs to launch xex (or w/e) files (since this will allow for launchign games from the harddrive). doing that would allow for programs such as xmbc, but no piracy.

thats my opinion.

Hmerly

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2006, 05:44:00 PM »

' date='Dec 11 2006, 06:15 PM' post='3798760']
I think you've got your mentality around the wrong way...

If anything active developers in the community should be allowed to do it for free, and everyone using it has to pay.  If you don't want to use it fine, its not going to appeal to everyone, but paying the equivalent of 1.5 retail games to have access to 100's or possibly 1000's of games in the long run will still appeal to quite a few xbox owners.

You can develop for free.  The download is available freely and you can develop your homebrews on your pc.  It doesn't cost anything to do this.  If you want to run your homebrew on the 360 then you have to pay to join the XNA club.  The great thing about XNA is that its basically turning your 360 into a limited dev kit.  Its also great for crossplatforming between Windows and the 360.  However your program runs on your PC, it'll run about the same exact way on the 360.

generalnewbie

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2006, 08:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(Casper1786 @ Dec 12 2006, 12:37 AM) View Post

I just can't see myself paying $100 a year to use homebrew i don't do dev, no free time for such a thing i just barly get time to enjoy my gaming as it is. I wish us non devs could enjoy the fruits of these creators at no cost or maybe just a reg XBL Sub but an extra $100 a year, I see a slow pace or lots of ppl pissed off cause they paid out for the sub with no intent to dev and feel ripped off when nothing good is avail for homebrew apps or games, i do see great things coming don't get me wrong but being a non dev i refuse to pay money for homebrew, specially if that money isn't going to the developers, how much of that fee is going back into the XNA studio for Devs?

Its quite ironic how people here are complaining about the cost for this. In the greater scope of things lets take a look at how much you probably pay in other areas and dont cry like little babys. Cable TV for instance... the basic package is 29 bucks where im from and thats per month. I dont even get HD channels with that service and if i wanted to i would pay 5 bucks for HD channels and need to rent the reciever. Cost just went up. Most people have digital. I go out to a bar for 1 night with my Girl friend and pay AT LEAST 40 bucks for the 2 of us to drink. Anyone here of age can contest first Girlfriends arent cheap and 2nd they dont drink beer. 2ndly 100 bucks is $8.34 cents a month .. thats .28 cents a day to run FREE GAMES! hmmm i think my truck sucks up 2 dollars of gas a day.. I believe its inexpensive cost per day to possibly have great apps that we can all use.

Just my 2 cents if you dont agree GET A JOB!

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2006, 08:34:00 PM »

XNA is a brilliant idea for MS to get the community involved on making games for their console system.  As badly as I would like XBMC on the 360, I am more than satisfied with XBMC as it is now on the original xbox.

It's all just speculation now about what the near future holds with the recent release of XNA, but it looks very promising for gaming as a whole - probably won't do much for true homebrew as that is not its design, intent, nor purpose.

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2006, 12:54:00 AM »

I kinda expected that some developers/crackers/hackers/whatever would show up and show us the first concept of running homebrew code on a retail Xbox 360. But no, instead every pirate-loving asshole which we have seen so far is focusing himself on the poor DVD player, which has practically no protection at all. And now Microsoft has released their own limited development environment for those programmers which develop something for free, but who must pay to use it. Now the motivation to really mod the Xbox 360 is rapidly dropping, because the pirates can already run their copied games and the developers will happily pay the fee to Microsoft to program for it.

Is there anybody out there? sad.gif

bigjimmy

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2006, 02:25:00 AM »

Hmmmm well if you can develop for free, but just not run it on the 360, ill probably try it and if i get into it i can pay the $99 subscription. I would seriously consider making a game with XNA for my final year 12 project at skool........that would be so kool.

openxdkman

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2006, 05:35:00 AM »

Yes, Brandon, that's why I wrote "for now" several times.

Redmond? Mmm... Interesting.
Welcome to this forum! And thanks for any help/info you can bring!

tutu

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2006, 06:28:00 AM »

In the ideal world XNA subscription will be included for Xbox live gold members for free. The setup cost is not much but because of it I'm not going to dabble. If it was free then I would consider taking a look.

Something really badly needs to be done about the 360's media playback capabilities.. it is so poor compared to XBMC, a PC or a PS3. The codec choice is absolutely pathetic. So if somebody did consider making a XBMC for 360 (if it was possible) then I might pay the subscription.

Homebrew may just keep my interest from getting a PS3 (which I am interested in it's media playback and emulators).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4