xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Encode360 v2.0 beta3a  (Read 179 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Encode360 v2.0 beta3a
« on: December 17, 2006, 07:48:00 PM »

Encode360 v2.0 beta3a
Posted by XanTium | December 17 21:41 EST

Dan released a new version of Encode360(info) - an application which will convert virtually any video format to high quality WMV's which can be played by the X-Box 360 or the Microsoft Zune device:

Finally, Beta 3 is now available! This has turned into a fairly hefty project for me and one of the reasons it's taken quite a while to get it out the door. I'm extremely pleased to say though, that it's been worth the wait.
I've spent a huge amount of time developing this app for you good people. If you feel it's made you a better person, improved your sex life, or just plain made you happier, please donate something to keep the project going.

Here's the full changelog since beta 2:
Added:
- Total UI Overhaul. Too many changes to list
- Pre-Processing Scriptlets - expand Encode360 with community developed pre-processing scripts. See the new PPS forum for details
- Video Postview (shows what the encoded file will be like, i.e. Shows subtitles, cropping etc)
- Monitoring and automatic processing/encoding of files in a particular folder
- TS Filetype support
- MOV Filetype Support
- Full support for Zune (bitrate recommendations from Microsoft)
- 2 Pass Encoding
- CBR, Peak based VBR and Bitrate based VBR Modes
- Predefined bitrates for best streaming quality on CBR & Peak VBR modes
- Automatic Content Analysis and Video Optimisation for Standard, Interlace, Deinterlace and Inverse Telecine
- UI culture independance. Should now work regardless of your regional settings
- Proper About Box featuring a Donation button! (hint hint)
Changed:
- AC3Filter now gets configured to bypass audio AS IS, instead of setting to 1, 2, or 5.1 chanels. This saves us a lot of problems, and because we're bypassing the audio mixer, it should also re-encode at the same volume as the input file
- Audio quality is now limited to conform to WMA codec standards
- Files are removed from the encode list as they are successfully encoded
- You can no longer accidentally close the UI if encoding is in progress
- Stopping an encode no longer gives a Cancelled error
- Improved FFMpeg parsing
- Better status messages
- Better definitions on logging
Fixed:
- Selecting Zune as output resolution while using a Bitrate mode resulted in a "SelectedIndex" error (beta3a)
- Using the /Auto commandline switch with Monitor mode resulted in a "No files selected" error (beta3a)
- Minimise to System Tray didn't minimise the PostView and Advanced Settings windows if they were open  (beta3a)
- Not auto-scaling outputted the file at a weird resolution
- If the video bitrate can't be discovered with FFMpeg, you can still continue
- Stopping an encode and then doing a batch encode afterwards was fail after the first file
- x64 FFDShow wasn't being recognised correctly

Official Site: http://www.dcunningham.net
Downloads + Instructions: here

mortyblack

• Archived User
Encode360 v2.0 beta3a
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 07:12:00 PM »

its good that people find solutions to a problem but i hope for the sake of god, we will not be stuck with this solution. hopefully there will be a real modchip for the x360 coming soon and we will have a good solution for playing divx and xvid movies. to be honest i cant be bothered by this encoding thingy, when my old modchiped xbox is streaming divx/xvid movies from the pc or playing divx/xvid movies from the xbox hd/dvd, with a press of a button...

Sniperman

• Archived User
Encode360 v2.0 beta3a
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 07:13:00 PM »

finally, i was wondering when it would be posted here.

it runs fairly well, the installations is less than simple, specially if u don't have everything u need to get going (chances are u don't)

but it works pretty well. i've only used it for zune videos since i really don't need it for anything else.  its quite slow though, not sure if its normal or not but i find it slow.

rasstar

• Archived User
Encode360 v2.0 beta3a
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 09:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(mortyblack @ Dec 18 2006, 03:12 AM) *

its good that people find solutions to a problem but i hope for the sake of god, we will not be stuck with this solution. hopefully there will be a real modchip for the x360 coming soon and we will have a good solution for playing divx and xvid movies. to be honest i cant be bothered by this encoding thingy, when my old modchiped xbox is streaming divx/xvid movies from the pc or playing divx/xvid movies from the xbox hd/dvd, with a press of a button...

A solution already exist and it's called a PC or an Xbox. I doubt many people care so much about these things.

slipstream

• Archived User
Encode360 v2.0 beta3a
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 09:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(rasstar @ Dec 18 2006, 05:06 AM) *

A solution already exist and it's called a PC or an Xbox. I doubt many people care so much about these things.

Well SOME people do care about such things! just because you may have a TV that accepts signal from your PC doesnt mean everyone does, and I sold my xbox to help pay for the 360, so something like this is great for someone like me, i just need to buy a bigger HDD soon.

I swear XS has gone downhill the last year...

rasstar

• Archived User
Encode360 v2.0 beta3a
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 10:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(slipstream @ Dec 18 2006, 05:58 AM) *

Well SOME people do care about such things! just because you may have a TV that accepts signal from your PC doesnt mean everyone does, and I sold my xbox to help pay for the 360, so something like this is great for someone like me, i just need to buy a bigger HDD soon.

You sold your Xbox to help pay for an Xbox 360? How much did you get for it and everyone knew the 360  wouldn;t play DIVX and other formats. If you want other codecs I suggest you build your own console as MS is not obligated to provide anything but a gaming console. Plus they do not own the licenses for other codecs so why would they want to pay?

If you own your own DVDs just rip them in WMV but I figure you download your movies and shows and no one is using WMV for this.

The Zep Man

• Archived User
Encode360 v2.0 beta3a
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 02:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(slipstream @ Dec 18 2006, 05:58 AM) *

Well SOME people do care about such things! just because you may have a TV that accepts signal from your PC doesnt mean everyone does,
I have connected PC's to TV's using composite video, S-video, RGB SCART, YPbPr Component, VGA/DVI-A, DVI-D and HDMI. Take your pick. I'm sure that your TV is at least equipped with one of them.

and I sold my xbox to help pay for the 360,
Worst thing someone can do.

so something like this is great for someone like me, i just need to buy a bigger HDD soon.

XS is currently divided in two parts:

1. The pirates, who only bought an Xbox 360 and modded the DVD drive so they can play 'backup' games. They tend to moan about the lack of modded firmwares for the latest drives or about whether they will get banned from Live or not when the next update is announced.

2. The enjoyers, who own a modded Xbox and use it for various homebrew applications, like XBMC. Some of them do own an Xbox 360, but they tend to fall back to their Xbox for their multimedia needs. Some of them do not yet own an Xbox 360, because it can't currently run homebrew applications.

This post has been edited by The Zep Man: Dec 18 2006, 10:29 AM

Akke

• Archived User
Encode360 v2.0 beta3a
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 02:38:00 AM »

rasstar: With High-Def TV's and projectors, would't it be great to play those 1080i TS movies on the xbox360? xbox1 is way to slow.

Will for certain test this program and se how it does on the .TS.

9nine9

• Archived User
Encode360 v2.0 beta3a
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 10:04:00 AM »

I agree!

One of the main reasons for me  buying my 360, was  to watch captured  *.ts HD files.  I have an HD TV and I am sorry but my xbox1 is not cutting it any more when it comes to quality picture. The 360 has spoiled me. Better game graphics and Video period,

HansiHusten

• Archived User
Encode360 v2.0 beta3a
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 12:19:00 PM »

Required: WMP11...
Damn no Windows 2003 Server supported again sad.gif

loserkid182

• Archived User
Encode360 v2.0 beta3a
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 03:39:00 PM »

This software is great, I've already encoded half of season 5 of 24 from avi's (I own the DVD's too!)

Excellent

I think it's so good that I made a donation (I rarely do this)

Just dump in a load of files and leave it to it.

Well done Dan

Thanks wink.gif

stopit33

• Archived User
Encode360 v2.0 beta3a
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 06:15:00 PM »

Hi I must be missing the point with this software
1. I cant rip my DVDs with it
2. there's lots of programs that convert DVD to wmv format
and you can encode your DVDs with Nero HD and stream them with TVersity job dun, so what's the point of Encode360 please? when you will have to do at least 3 processes  before you can even get to encode anything with Encode360
1. rip the DVD with something like DVD Decrypter
2. convert the DVD into something Encode360 can use
3. then use Encode360 to encode the file when you have finished the above what's the point
just use Nero and do the job in one step

This post has been edited by stopit33: Dec 19 2006, 02:25 AM

The Zep Man

• Archived User
Encode360 v2.0 beta3a
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 12:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(HansiHusten @ Dec 18 2006, 08:19 PM) *

Required: WMP11...
Damn no Windows 2003 Server supported again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Don't worry, young grashopper, for your solution is right here.

sintaxasn

• Archived User
Encode360 v2.0 beta3a
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 05:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(stopit33 @ Dec 19 2006, 01:15 AM) *

Hi I must be missing the point with this software
1. I cant rip my DVDs with it
2. there's lots of programs that convert DVD to wmv format
and you can encode your DVDs with Nero HD and stream them with TVersity job dun, so what's the point of Encode360 please? when you will have to do at least 3 processes  before you can even get to encode anything with Encode360
1. rip the DVD with something like DVD Decrypter
2. convert the DVD into something Encode360 can use
3. then use Encode360 to encode the file when you have finished the above what's the point
just use Nero and do the job in one step

Well, off the top of my head:
- Nero is not free
- TVersity requires beefy hardware to stream at an "acceptable for SD content" resolution
- Encode360 can encode ridiculously high res WMV (HD using WVC1 at 1080p)
- Encode360 can encode for the Zune
- Encode360 IS free

I suspect that your 3 step process can be reduced to one quite soon... <whistle.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Dan

juergen

• Archived User
Encode360 v2.0 beta3a
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 12:27:00 PM »

I have been using XBMC to stream my BeyondTV files with excellent results.  Now that I have an HDTV and an HDTV tuner card in my PC, I can't use my XBOX to handle the HD files.  I have an XBOX360 waiting under the Christmas tree and hope to be able to stream .TP files to it from my XP(nonMCE) PC.  I know one option is to use BeyondTV's showsqueeze to convert to wmv.  Will Encode360 enable me to stream the .TP files?