xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Play And Charge Kit Pc Support Anytime Soon?  (Read 584 times)

Jbiber

• Archived User
Play And Charge Kit Pc Support Anytime Soon?
« on: January 25, 2006, 05:03:00 PM »

I am quite disgusted for I have spent 135+ minutes on the phone with 18004MYXBOX trying to get the Xbox 360 wireless controller to work with my Windows XP SP2 computer.  They, after 2 calls finally figured out that their software that exists currently doesn't work with the wireless controllers and a play and charge kit.  I was curious if there is anyone in the community who has been working on developing a driver to support the play and charge kit with the wireless controllers?

While tech support said it is not currently support, eventually MS will release drivers to make this possible.  I can't imagine i'd be to much of a deviation from the wired controller's drivers that have been developed.  The tech support also suggested that it could be quite sometime before such drivers are released by MS.

My question is then... is anyone developing a driver to be used with a Windows XP SP2 machine that will allow the play and charge kit to work for PC gaming?

((posted similiar topic on the xbox forums, not that i actually expected a reasonable response there))

Tripme

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 05:52:00 PM »

When the play and charge kit is plugged in, the controller is still a wireless controller.  The kit is just to charge the batteries that are in the controller pack, nothing more.  It wont be as easy as just making some drivers for the controller because you will still need something on the pc that will transmit data back and forth with the controller.  You prob wont ever see the wireless controllers working with the pc.

Kinda suprised that MS couldnt have told you that....

This post has been edited by Tripme: Jan 26 2006, 01:53 AM

Jbiber

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 05:56:00 AM »

Its funny cuz the guy on the phone said that while they could release drivers to do it, he didn't expect it to be soon... This to me suggested that it was in consideration.

Could you source me to some information about what you've said with the Play n Charge only works for 2.4Ghz gameplay and no direct connections?

Hazard-tb3

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 01:18:00 PM »

but ummmm even if you some how did get it to work with the play and charge kit (impossible) it whould then be a "wired" controller . why not just use a wired controller in the first place?

mckenn88

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 03:53:00 PM »

im 99% sure someone has already done this before. i saw it a while ago. all he did was change something in the driver. i think it was like he just hexed something from a 0 to a 1. if the search was up i would find it for you but its down rite now.   sleep.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 08:28:00 PM »

you know all kind of people have been making claims that the play and charge kit only transmits power.

whether or not the PaC wire can transmit controller data is unknown but one thing is that it does actually transfer data and register as a USB device.

IF MS was only going to use it for power the could have easily only had 2 wires going through the cable, instead there are both data and power wires. Also when plugged into a PC it recognizes it as a device, your PC wouldn't do that if it didn't have the necessary circuitry sending it data.

so it does more then just send power, what else it does, I don't know.

And yes there was someone working on getting the official drivers to work for the wireless controller but he couldn't get it to recognize any actual inputs from the controller (but he did get it to recognize that there was a controller plugged in.)

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 12:03:00 PM »

i don't think MS will make drivers for the wireless control.  while it seems it's possible from what I've read in this thread I just don't see it happening.  And someone else asked why not just use a wired control for the PC, and the only reason I can think to answer that is to save $30 ;p

kidkinetix

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 04:04:00 PM »

It should have been supported through the play & charge kit, but oh well....  I'm conten with 3 wireless and 1 wired controller.  you rarely like the guy/girl that actually plays as the 4th player when they're at your place anyways wink.gif

SilverDragon

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 06:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jan 30 2006, 03:35 AM) *

IF MS was only going to use it for power the could have easily only had 2 wires going through the cable, instead there are both data and power wires. Also when plugged into a PC it recognizes it as a device, your PC wouldn't do that if it didn't have the necessary circuitry sending it data.

so it does more then just send power, what else it does, I don't know.

I'd imagine what it does is report to the 360 that a P&C is plugged in and charging, so that the 360 can go into charge-suspend mode when turned off, rather than fully turn off, couldnt do that if it had no data wires.

hwalker84

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 02:11:00 PM »

THE PLAY AND CHARGE IS 100% ONLY FOR CHARGING. IT TRANSFERS ABSOLUTELY NO DATA AND HAS BEEN STATED AS SUCH BY MS!!!!!

SilverDragon

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 05:47:00 PM »

It does transfer some data, but as I said, I suspect its only enough to identify that theres a p&c kit plugged in, and if its charging or not, else the 360 could not smartly support charging.

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 07:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(hwalker84 @ Feb 12 2006, 04:18 PM) View Post

THE PLAY AND CHARGE IS 100% ONLY FOR CHARGING. IT TRANSFERS ABSOLUTELY NO DATA AND HAS BEEN STATED AS SUCH BY MS!!!!!

Check out Twisted's post.
As of right now, it transfers a LITTLE data to tell the computer that the controller is plugged in, but that's pretty much it.

ModsINUtah

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 09:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(Tripme @ Jan 25 2006, 05:59 PM) *

When the play and charge kit is plugged in, the controller is still a wireless controller.  The kit is just to charge the batteries that are in the controller pack, nothing more.  It wont be as easy as just making some drivers for the controller because you will still need something on the pc that will transmit data back and forth with the controller.  You prob wont ever see the wireless controllers working with the pc.

Kinda suprised that MS couldnt have told you that....

Thats not true, I use my wireless controller with the play and charge wire without the batteries all the time, it isnt charging anything.

ExitRooster

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 01:49:00 AM »

See now where's your faith in M$ guys??  OF COURSE they will release support for the wireless controller on the PC.  

This will be done via a $69.99 device (you know, a compatitable antenna that will plug into your PC)...  Just give em time..

As far as the charging kit working..  Assuming it DOES send all data, your best place to look would be www.redcl0ud.com's forums, the maker of the XBCD driver.  Him and/or another fella have released 360 drivers..  Not sure if they include wireless support, but someone there could assuredly tell you what to change in the .ini file.  Reason it's not working is because all USB devices have unique ID's relating to their model etc., and wireless has a different ID number than the wired version.  You could also look up a USBView program to get that number yourself, again that site is great for learning how to do such things..  HtH smile.gif

Rooster

VinnySem

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 08:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(hwalker84 @ Feb 12 2006, 05:18 PM) View Post

If it was only for charging, wouldn't they just call it the "Charge Kit"? The instructions I got with my kit make the distinction that when the controller is plugged in via the play and charge kit, it is not functioning wirelessly.
Pages: [1] 2 3