xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Windows Media Connect Doesn't Show All Mp3's  (Read 189 times)

feflicker

• Archived User
Windows Media Connect Doesn't Show All Mp3's
« on: December 11, 2005, 11:20:00 AM »

Just got this up and running and I am a little disappointed...

For some reason it doesn't just let me "browse" the folders and choose music to play, that would be to easy since I already have everything organized on the filesystem  grr.gif

Instead it catalogued everything by "album", etc. 90% of the albums that I go to only show like (1) song, or a couple. Where are the rest of the mp3 files?

The only thing I could think of was it didn't like filenames of some of them or something, but there is nothing unusual about that many of the files. Then I thought that maybe it was ID3 tags, most of my MP3's don't have them... But that can't be it either, because I did find some files displaying (quick glance) that don't have ID3 tags. WTF is up? Why are not all the files listed? Anyone?  uhh.gif

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 07:40:00 PM »

I added a few folders, as different shares, same problem. Even if you have different shares, it still piles everything into one place...

Most of my stuff is in the "UNKNOWN" folder, guessing that means the ID3 wasn't found so it just puts it there. Why not categorize it by the folder if there is no ID3? WTF?

It doesn't look like there is a fix, but if anyone knows a trick let me know... This is LAME, and I don't mean the codec  jester.gif

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 12:39:00 AM »

My solution in the meantime: I am copying a few albums to my jump-drive. It doesn't do the "catalog", it just lets me pick the files so this is MUCH better wink.gif

Next Solution: I have a USB Hard Drive laying around (external case+drive combo), thinking about giving that a shot. See if it recognizes it just like the flash drive (as reported by llama,etc). It should let me just select files similar to the jump-drive. My guess is that it will work, and be the way to go. Screw WMC!  rolleyes.gif

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 09:58:00 AM »

In the living room it's pointless because the xbox (xbox media center) ownz

The only reason I am even doing this is I like being able to play the music and mix it in while playing games on the 360. I don't want to dig out my CD's from storage just to rip them to the 360's hard drive. Just for listening to music, yeah, I am with you, XBMC all the way  biggrin.gif

babanoosh

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 03:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(feflicker @ Dec 13 2005, 11:05 AM) View Post

The only reason I am even doing this is I like being able to play the music and mix it in while playing games on the 360. I don't want to dig out my CD's from storage just to rip them to the 360's hard drive. Just for listening to music, yeah, I am with you, XBMC all the way  biggrin.gif

I didn't even think of that. Good idea!

IntestineMan

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 06:10:00 PM »

Ya, that is only reason I want the ability also - to play music in background. I see no need to duplicate my music collection off linux server to a windows pc using WMC.

I am going to try a 40GB notebook drive in enclosure. Hopefully Xbox 360 provides enough power over the USB.

InflatableMouse

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 01:55:00 AM »

What Intestineman said.

I spend the night to copy ID3v1 field values to ID3v2 fields and eventually MCE started to show everything correctly.

I still think its lame and MCE sucks.  tongue.gif

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 11:45:00 AM »

I spend the night to copy ID3v1 field values to ID3v2 fields and eventually MCE started to show everything correctly

That's horrible we have to do this. Thanks for the validation, and thanks to IntestineMan for posting. I didn't feel like screwing with ID3 tags to figure it out.

Even with automation, NO WAY I am going to edit all my MP3's. Sticking with the jump-drive for now. I have the USB Hard Drive, just haven't copied all my MP3's to it yet...

h00kid

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 08:00:00 PM »

this same thing happened to me, you have to leave the window up for awhile so it can access all your songs and everything even tho it doesn't look like its doing anything, it is....so just let the mediaconnect window sit there for like 15-20min and you should see all your songs on your 360

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2005, 06:38:00 PM »

this same thing happened to me, you have to leave the window up for awhile so it can access all your songs and everything even tho it doesn't look like its doing anything, it is....so just let the mediaconnect window sit there for like 15-20min and you should see all your songs on your 360

Yeah, I noticed this as well. However, you don't have to stay in the screen. It continues working on the list even if you leave. The problem isn't that the 360 doesn't catalog the music, it is HOW it "catalogs" it!  wink.gif

USB-HDD is the only way to go!