xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Linus Torvalds to Microsoft: put up or shut up  (Read 964 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Linus Torvalds to Microsoft: put up or shut up
« on: May 19, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | May 19 23:34 EST | News Category: OffTopic

Not directly Xbox-related, but well ... from engadget.com:

Soon after Microsoft's General Counsel claimed that free and open-source software (FOSS) -- a bundle of which related to Linux -- violated precisely 235 of its patents, Linus Torvalds decided to fire back on behalf of the little guy. In an interview with InformationWeek, Mr. Torvalds retorted by suggesting that it is actually "a lot more likely that Microsoft violates patents than Linux does," and even noted that if "the source code for Windows could be subjected to the same critical review that Linux has been, Microsoft would find itself in violation of patents held by other companies." Of course, he backed his statements by stating that the "fundamental stuff was done about half a century ago and has long, long since lost any patent protection,".

Full Story: engadget.com | informationweek.com

TechPagan

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 09:15:00 PM »

Fisrt post, W00T!!  Microsoft needs to get their act together.  Their claim is retarded!

Tribis

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »

Fuck yeah Linus! The day MS source needs to be reviewed, the hot water will pour.

Deihmos

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(Tribis @ May 19 2007, 11:55 PM) *

Fuck yeah Linus! The day MS source needs to be reviewed, the hot water will pour.

What does this have to do with the Xbox?

stevenalvarado

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »

i dont know, maybe because ms built the xbox or maybe, just maybe because there are two or three people trying really hard to boot linux on the xb360. or has it happened?

XanTium

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(Deihmos @ May 20 2007, 05:58 AM) View Post

What does this have to do with the Xbox?

not much like I said in the 1st line of the news item ... however I think it's interesting news for a big part of our members as we try to open the Xbox1/360 platform to run linux etc too.

g8crapachino

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »

This completely pointless rhetoric by Linus, Microsoft, and the rest of the industry.  Linus got his ego bruised so of course he has to comment.  Either way, this Linux vs. Microsoft bashing is just old, tired, and irrelevent.

poop1

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »

i think microsoftttt should be banned from the interweb .

This post has been edited by poop1: May 20 2007, 05:36 AM

bigtrouble777

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »

I didn't realize this board was run by 8 years old... haven't been around in a while.  Read carefully and you guys might learn something...

This is significant because MS is trying to eliminate competition through FUD.  Tolvalds' response was very restrained, imo.  One thing you guys have to realize is that much of the tools developed for hacking the xbox/xbox360 are linux based.  In fact, I think most of the firmwares are linux based.  Just because you run a phatt souped up windows desktop and play an elite modded xbox 360 doesn't mean you don't use linux every day.  Most routers, web servers and tons of embeded devices run linux, etc.  This affects you much more than getting Ubuntu to boot on the 360 (which would be nice).

I personally like the 360, but MS as a company is a POS.  They have to be kept in check or you'll be forced to buy a 360 if you want to play games.

This post has been edited by bigtrouble777: May 20 2007, 05:55 AM

dmitri

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(g8crapachino @ May 20 2007, 04:19 AM) View Post

This completely pointless rhetoric by Linus, Microsoft, and the rest of the industry.  Linus got his ego bruised so of course he has to comment.  Either way, this Linux vs. Microsoft bashing is just old, tired, and irrelevent.

Haha first the Arcade press release to push bad press down the page, then this pops up..  nice.

One big issue here is patents on code..  Too many patents, nothing new is ever built.  At least nothing new that isn't owned by Microsoft.  Since people say this is old and tired..  Resistance is futile!   biggrin.gif

Maverick0984

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 12:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(bigtrouble777 @ May 19 2007, 11:54 PM) View Post

I didn't realize this board was run by 8 years old... haven't been around in a while.  Read carefully and you guys might learn something...

This is significant because MS is trying to eliminate competition through FUD.  Tolvalds' response was very restrained, imo.  One thing you guys have to realize is that much of the tools developed for hacking the xbox/xbox360 are linux based.  In fact, I think most of the firmwares are linux based.  Just because you run a phatt souped up windows desktop and play an elite modded xbox 360 doesn't mean you don't use linux every day.  Most routers, web servers and tons of embeded devices run linux, etc.  This affects you much more than getting Ubuntu to boot on the 360 (which would be nice).

I personally like the 360, but MS as a company is a POS.  They have to be kept in check or you'll be forced to buy a 360 if you want to play games.

You do realize the person that posted this article is one of those that "runs" this board.  Perhaps your initial statement shouldn't be directed at those that run the board, but rather, those that frequent the board.

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(bigtrouble777 @ May 19 2007, 11:54 PM) View Post

I'm guessing you meant 8 year olds.  Before you go judging people, get your facts straight.  The admins here are not, as you state, 8 years of age.  Many of the people who frequent this board are probably around that age, or if not they act that way at least.

To stay on topic; I think it's a good thing that MS is attacking Linux, it shows that they are considering them a big enough threat to try to kill (like every other company that has come against MS).  Be afraid MS, be very afraid.  The idea of patenting code is acceptable to an extent, but the idea of patenting generic ideas and such things that are key components of other would-be software systems is ridiculous.  Linux will never die, it's practically impossible to stamp out open-source software simply because people will always make and distribute it.  If they take away the ability to put it up on websites for download (like Linux is now) then it will simply move to IRC, Bittorrent, P2P (if anybody uses that anymore), unlisted servers, and all the other ways that the shady internet community operates.

If it wasn't for Linus Torvald, technology and the internet would be severely crippled by the pathetic attempts that MS has made at web/ftp software (IIS).  Also all the small devices (firewalls, routers, switches, etc.) that control network traffic mostly run off of Linux based operating codes.

MS shut up and fix your overly-priced software you dirty communists.

ConteZero76

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 01:16:00 AM »

This is a news that say something about Microsoft.
Microsoft is struggling because Vista wasn't accepted the way Microsoft meant; Vista has been a huge flop compared to pre-launch internal analisys.
So Microsoft is firing to his competitor... Linux.
Real Vista competitor is XP, but Microsoft cannot shoot his foot...

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 12:41:00 AM »

Everyone must realize that we are talking about software patents. Those are not recognized in most parts of the world, like Europe. So, even if the 'US and A' is changing into some kind of banana republic, ruled by the big companies, Linux can always be developed and used somewhere else. rolleyes.gif

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 12:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(47_M450N_47 @ May 20 2007, 12:06 AM) View Post

MS shut up and fix your overly-priced software you dirty communists.

My thoughts exactly. wink.gif (especially the "communists" part)

I saw a Digg article the other day that was saying that through a loophole in MS's deal with Novell, MS has inadvertantly made it so that they can't attack linux, ever....or something like that.

Here's the link: http://www.groklaw.n...070518124020691

I'm far too tired to read it right now, so I could be wrong.  Enjoy.
Pages: [1] 2 3