xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Major Nelson Replies on Banned 'Lesbian' Xbox LIVE Gamertag  (Read 255 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Major Nelson Replies on Banned 'Lesbian' Xbox LIVE Gamertag
« on: February 26, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | February 26 19:56 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From majornelson.com:

With the recent post on the Consumerist, I wanted to point out a couple of posts about Xbox LIVE policy that you may find relevant. The first post is from regular podcast guest Stephen Toulouse. Stephen and his team handle policy for the LIVE service, and therefore spend a lot of time developing the best policies that we use on the service. The second post is from the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) where they give their take on the story. Hopefully you'll take the time to read both which will give you a better understanding of the issues at hand.

Trevante

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »

Well I agree with the GLAAD post on this - yes a person might use gay,lesbian, or whatever word to describe themselves in a non-derogatory manner, but the reason those words are banned is because they draw attention and others use them in a derogatory, inflammatory way.

Personally, I don't see why one should advertise their sexuality on XBL or any other gaming service, especially where there are younger members playing too. Not saying homosexuality or any sexuality should be hidden from young people forever, but rather that Xbox Live and Playstation Home are not the proper places for children to learn about homosexuals and how to respect their sexuality (if Little Johnny hears people calling a gay person fags on XBL, he's probably going to think it's ok to do so in other social situations,etc.)

XPxAxBxLxOX

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »

Taken from the first article:

"Our current policy for Gamertags and Profiles does not allow expression of sexual orientation under the Terms of Use. That applies to *any* orientation, straight or gay or otherwise. Gamers can however self identify their orientation in voice chat, where context for their statements can be provided."

Case Closed!  Even though I am for whatever a persons wants to be or how they identify themselves.  It's in the terms of service.

This post has been edited by XPxAxBxLxOX: Feb 27 2009, 05:05 AM

frieko

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »

So it's for their own protection? Great idea!! And furthermore, we should ban them from wearing "fruity clothing" in public! PEOPLE MIGHT FIND OUT ABOUT TEH GAY!!

(/sarc obviously)

beasty54

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(frieko @ Feb 27 2009, 07:18 AM) View Post

So it's for their own protection? Great idea!! And furthermore, we should ban them from wearing "fruity clothing" in public! PEOPLE MIGHT FIND OUT ABOUT TEH GAY!!

(/sarc obviously)

This whole thing is a joke, Microsoft have made it clear that they dont allow anyone to advertise their sexual preference, there is no need in this day and age because i really dont think anyone cares whos gay and whos not so why do they feel they need to advertise the fact they are gay? If they dont want people to treat them any different why do they act like they are?

echto

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(Trevante @ Feb 26 2009, 08:36 PM) View Post

...but rather that Xbox Live and Playstation Home are not the proper places...

Got any more old school, ignorant, uneducated, hickville, mentality thoughts to share?  You do not have the authority to define the word proper so throw that way of thinking out the door.  This is not the proper place for you to spew BS like that.

TMownsu

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »

Live is a closed network. You agree to the TOS. If you break it, you are punished & have no say. Don't like the policy. Don't agree to it & move on.

echto

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »

I'm waiting for the day someone sets up a shout cast stream broadcasting in real time all the racist, homophobic, trash talk  on Xbox Live hypocritical Microsoft is covering up/ignorning.  Hey, maybe they can get Major Nelson to DJ the channel too and dedicate segments to church congregations and those "early morning coffee Moms" that head out to Starbucks after the kids leave the house for school.

ubiman

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(DesertBear360 @ February 27, 2009 3:43 AM)
I have no problems with people's personal sexual preference. But leave that information in the bio and not in the gamertag. We all need to remember that there are people whom don't agree with the alternative sexual preference and find it offensive. If someone whom has an alternative preference does not want to be suspended then they should also respect that side by not placing that information in the gamertag. I have friends and family members whom have an alternative preference and they also agree that the gamertag should not be used to express that preference. If GLAAD and LGBT wants to be respected then both should respect those who don't agree with it and find it offensive as well as respect the children that don't know any better. Fact is there is a terms of use policy for a reason.

XBOX LIVE is for gaming not expressing preferences. If people want to express themselves then there are websites for that. Let's work on keeping LIVE respectful on both sides.
Enough said...

This post has been edited by ubiman: Feb 27 2009, 07:26 AM

brandogg

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(echto @ Feb 27 2009, 01:28 AM) View Post

Got any more old school, ignorant, uneducated, hickville, mentality thoughts to share?  You do not have the authority to define the word proper so throw that way of thinking out the door.  This is not the proper place for you to spew BS like that.

I don't think you read Trevante's entire post, or you don't understand what he's saying. I have to agree with the policy and the GLAAD blog as well. Xbox Live is full of some of the most ignorant, racist, shit-talking people you'll ever meet...there's no need add anymore fuel to the fire, since obviously there's no effective way to put said metaphorical fire out.

2legit2

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 12:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(echto @ Feb 27 2009, 07:34 AM) *

I'm waiting for the day someone sets up a shout cast stream broadcasting in real time all the racist, homophobic, trash talk  on Xbox Live hypocritical Microsoft is covering up/ignorning.  Hey, maybe they can get Major Nelson to DJ the channel too and dedicate segments to church congregations and those "early morning coffee Moms" that head out to Starbucks after the kids leave the house for school.

totally agreed what a joke microsoft is... major nelson i guess is the new moral authority. you cant go on xbox live without being called a faggot,, queer douche bag, motherfucker bitch cracker nigger , all of the above lol what a joke... lesbian hahaha come on are you serious

Steve-0

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 03:23:00 AM »

at first i used to laugh it off as im from the uk the moment i play halo 3,cod4, or vegas 2 i become a "brit" or the "tea and crumpet" guy, there has always been a feud between americans and british on live for as long as i can remember but its not like i have ever been lynched because i like "tea and crumpets" its when you get the bad apples who dont just cross the line they dig it up eat it and wash it down with a hot cup of breaking the rules, i remember being online once and hearing a kid say his grandad had just passed away ant there was someone else blaintly laughing about it and making comments like " he was R***D to death by your mum" its the people like that that cause the probs.

but on a more important note sticks and stones may break my bones but n00bz with modded pads and DDoS, lag switches and glitches annoy the hell out of me why dont M$ put as much effort into stopping the cheating!

NoZart

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 03:51:00 AM »

I really think the issue should be tackled on a larger scope. Humanity itself is homophobe. As long as the sexual orientation MATTERS, we will always have that sort of troubles. What the EFF does "what i do in my bedroom" have to do with "how people value me as a person"? Why should that even be of interest (except when i want to actually HAVE sex with a particular person)?

I want to enjoy a movie, discuss a book, hang out or whatever. And i do that with People with compatible PERSONALITIES and not SEXUALITIES. We really need to clean up our behaviour. REGARDLESS of our sexuality.

I am sick of people using characteristics of other people as slurs.
I am also sick of people that constantly need to SHOVE their peer-pride in the faces of others.

You are gay? Good for you. Have fun with it.  We are talking about running around in virtual worlds and do wicked stuff with cool weapons. In this context, why should ANYTHING other than your skill be of any importance??

I am very old and play on live. And i get a LOT of shit thrown my way just because of that. If it disturbs me, i mute the assholes. After the game i block them. They are gone.

I do NOT RUN AROUND AND MAKE AN ISSUE OUT OF IT.

This post has been edited by NoZart: Feb 27 2009, 11:57 AM

DeMoN_DARREN

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 03:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(TMownsu @ Feb 27 2009, 08:29 AM) View Post

Live is a closed network. You agree to the TOS. If you break it, you are punished & have no say. Don't like the policy. Don't agree to it & move on.

This.  One million times this.  Xbox Live should be seen as a brothel.  Pay to get in and have fun, but at the end of the day its someone elses house and if you break the rules, whatever they may be, you're outta there

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 07:31:00 AM »

I like to think that the USA/EU feud is just for fun.  Ill toss some trash out there, then they toss it back - then we have a laugh.  Just don't let it go to far.  I wish people whose feelings are getting hurt would stfu.  

Pages: [1] 2