xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: PS3 vs. Wii vs. 360: Which Console Downloads Games Fastest?  (Read 444 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
PS3 vs. Wii vs. 360: Which Console Downloads Games Fastest?
« on: February 03, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | February 3 12:45 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From multiplayerblog.mtv.com:

We pitted the three major consoles against each other, to see which one can download games the most quickly.  "Mega Man 9" -- at least initially -- was the guinea pig on our XBox 360s, Wiis and PS3s...

Conclusion: Ok, ok. Let's collect ourselves. Notice that the only time the Xbox 360 won one of these speed tests above was on Patrick's wired connection. The Wii never won these contests, supporting my theory that it is a bit slow.
The PS3 is the console that won most of these races. So that's the headline for now: PS3 Downloads Games Fastest Over Wi-Fi
Who wants to join in? If you have all three systems, run a download race yourself and tell us which system wins.

Full Story: multiplayerblog.mtv.com

quarky43

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »

In the SouthWest, my 360 is FAR superior in download speed as compared to the PS3 or the Wii.   My Wii takes second place and the PS3 an abysmal distant third place.

I am glad to hear that the PS3 downloads are faster elsewhere... probably in major cities.   This probably demonstrates that Microsoft's network provides better coverage to outlying areas than PS3's but perhaps PS3 has better availability in mainstream areas (probably because no-one is using it much...hahah just kidding).  

** Disclaimer:  I like all my consoles for different reasons.  If they could make a WiiPsBox  (pronounced Whips-Box, that would probably rock combining the best of all three.  Never happen though.)

Example:  I can download a 100+ MB game from Live quicker than I can download a 50MB game via PS3.  This is repeatable.   I've downloaded plenty of song packs/tracks for Rock Band on 360 and plenty of SingStar tracks on the PS3...  Never has my PS3 come close to the download speed of Live...  but again I say this knowing full well that it is probably varying greatly because of where I live with respect to the servers delivering the content.

This post has been edited by quarky43: Feb 3 2009, 07:47 PM

irnchriz

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »

I never download anything with my Wii so I can't comment on that.  Both my 360 and PS3 use a cat5 connection and download speeds on both are pretty even.  I choose not to use the PS3 wifi connection as it was just too slow compared to a cabled connection.  

If you dont want to run cat5 cables around your house I would recommend Zyxel Homeplug AV adaptors.  These are fast enough to stream HD video content directly to the 360 (WMV VC1 1080p) without any lag/buffering whatsoever.

Zyxel Homeplug

This post has been edited by irnchriz: Feb 3 2009, 07:49 PM

GeToChKn

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »

Pointless tests with pointless proof.  Without having locations to the server listed and tracked, its impossible to say whats up.  The 360 doesn't have a web browser, so you can't even do a test that way.  If you're in NY and the 360 game is coming from Cali and the PS3 server is in NY with you, then you're going to get a better rate.  And they did the test on Superbowl Sunday night when lots of people were probably online, checking stats, letting madden run through simulations, playing games, everyone not watching the game might have been on live and it was slower.

g8crapachino

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »

The test results mtv.com generated are meaningless.   This has got to be one of the most un-scientific and most innacurate ways to measure download speed.  The 360, Wii, and PS3 are three separate consoles that all connect to three different networks.  Network traffic, filesize, server location are all different.   If all three console were on the same network, connecting to the same server, and downloading the exact same file it might mean something but as it stands now there is no way to do a fair or accurate comparison.  

Either way, what's the point?  Nobody is going to give up what they have and switch consoles just because a download happens to be faster or slower then another.

This post has been edited by g8crapachino: Feb 3 2009, 08:00 PM

fuzzyfuk

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »

I think this is pointless test because the file sizes for ps3 and xbox 360 games are obviously bigger then wii.

BasicAir

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »

As everyone else said, this is the worst way to compare which consoles download faster.

Are you kidding me?

This test relies on so many things that "MTV Multiplayer" ignores.

If they want to run the most basic of tests, which is what they did, that's fine. But use a better choice of wording in your title/subject and in the post itself. It should read: "For me, based on extremely limited and simplified tests (which in itself renders the results meaningless for everyone else), PS3 came out the overall winner. The topic should be changed by MTV Multiplayer to "I get a better connection to PS3's network than Xbox 360's at my location-- How about you?"

BIMPtacular

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »

I have all 3 systems and on my connection the PS3 is by far the slowest(all but the wii are wired connections).  It takes my 30 minutes to download a damn firmware update, but I can download a 1gb demo on my xbox in 20-30 min.

1nsan3

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »

Pointless yes, but in my location, Michigan, the xbox 360 downloads alot faster than the the ps3 in anyway shape or form..

p.s. it also depends on your network traffic with your own ISP thats a BIGGY!!

I dont download anything from ps3 not even demos. I hate there online store. and there online "Home" is even worse. that was a waste of developers time, and server space. but hey its for the kids.

Goldfinger515

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »

I have all 3 all on Wi-Fi and the ps3 is the slowest peice of crap ever. Just an update for a game takes like an hour. I cant even stream movies on it any more with the new firmware. Ps3 wifi is too laggy. wii is so so but blocks vs mbs is kinda hard to figuare plus i dont d/l much. 360 can stream and d/l anything pretty quick through wifi

40_ounce

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »

To tell you the truth I don't really care how long it takes. Its not like it takes very long to download any game. There is no way to test each console unless you can get them all together in controlled settings. So I would say get over it. If it takes to long for you then go outside or turn a movie on.

rd88elw

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »

wow thank you xboxscene users for not failing me yet!

After being here in 2003 and seeing some really technical mind blowing things while watching the front page news become less and less technical over the years, I was still hoping I would see this occompanying thread filled with "this is the stupidest thing I have ever seen" responses.

thank you for not failing!

YoungGeekGuy

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »

I have to tell you it would only be fair if all three console companies sat in one room and connected to the same server than it would be fair. Unfortunatley I don't think anything will ever be fair because they download things differently as well. Hell I have to be honest though, hardware can make a difference. When I upgraded my old DFI Lanparty board with the Athlon 64 and 1.5gb ram to a q6600 oc'ed to 3.2ghz a 780i FTW and 8gb of ram I usually get 100kb/s than I used to. The wii will likely still be slower though.

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »

this test doesn't mean anything it all depends on your setup isp speed pings lag hardware server load and so on. example hear when i changed my wireless roguhter my wiis speed online changed alot. alot faster hehe.

now if you where to compare it to say the psp and its slow wireless b card then yes being it card is slow.

This post has been edited by luther349: Feb 4 2009, 12:02 AM

iceman72

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »

Whats funny is this. What they fail to mention is that for starters. When the 360 is done downloading the updates it is complete. When the PS3 is done downloading it take another half hour to install it. It such a joke.  The PS3 takes so long to do these tasks that often times you loose interest in doing what you originally intended. Then to top it off many times after waiting for the download then the install, the game will start up and force you to make another update. The 360 never does this. 9 times out of 10 you download then you play.
Pages: [1] 2 3