xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2 Won't Feature PC-Xbox 360 Interplay  (Read 247 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Team Fortress 2 Won't Feature PC-Xbox 360 Interplay
« on: June 19, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | June 19 13:05 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From teamxbox.com:

A couple of months ago, we reported that cross-platform multiplayer interaction for Team Fortress 2 was achieved at Valve's offices and the developer confirmed that interplay between the PC and Xbox 360 version of the game was "technically done."

In Valve's offices, team members regularly play cross-platform multiplayer games, but the studio's Doug Lombardi noted emphatically that such functionality will not appear in the final versions. He explained that it introduces more problems than it is worth, and if Valve ever decides to go that route it would be in a game designed for it from the start.

Full Story: teamxbox.com

Darkjasper

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »

This game looks like a blast. I am glad there wont be intherplay. I really think that it is a bad move to have Pc's vs Consoles in my opinion. Cant wait for this game to be released.

Beelzebud

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »

Now for the real reason:  Microsoft said "hell no".   Having the ability to play against LIVE users on a PC would sort of make people wonder why they pay for a service like LIVE, when they could be playing the same things on their PC's without a subscription fee.

steveju

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(Beelzebud @ Jun 19 2007, 05:17 PM) *
Now for the real reason:  Microsoft said "hell no".
Source?
QUOTE(Beelzebud @ Jun 19 2007, 05:17 PM) *
Having the ability to play against LIVE users on a PC would sort of make people wonder why they pay for a service like LIVE, when they could be playing the same things on their PC's without a subscription fee.
Live is also available for Windows, but you still have to pay for it.

psychoace

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »

I can only assume it's because of Steam and nothing else. Valve would probably want to use there own tools to run these servers but Microsoft being the capitalist that they are will not give up there Live format. I don't see Live working with Steam

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(psychoace @ Jun 19 2007, 01:48 PM) *

I can only assume it's because of Steam and nothing else. Valve would probably want to use there own tools to run these servers but Microsoft being the capitalist that they are will not give up there Live format. I don't see Live working with Steam

you're probably right

... but it would be freekin awesome of Steam were to work in conjunction with Live to offer multiplayer interoperability between all Xbox/Steam games.

Unfortunately MS is one of those companies that uses their own system and if other companies don't want to use their system then they just take their ball and go home with no compromise...

I_LIVE_IN_COMPTON

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »

i forget, but just recently another game said hell no to this interplay. i think it was COD4, cited as unfair for ppl on controller. I wouldnt want to play against someone on mouse and Key when im musing a stick!@

and anyone heard of the saying FUCK Steam?

sephiroth99

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(I_LIVE_IN_COMPTON @ Jun 19 2007, 07:26 PM) *

and anyone heard of the saying FUCK Steam?

yeah, like 3 years ago when Steam did suck. but now its pretty good and there is plenty of games on the list

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »

Good.  I'd rather play against PC only players anyways.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jun 19 2007, 07:23 PM) *

you're probably right

... but it would be freekin awesome of Steam were to work in conjunction with Live to offer multiplayer interoperability between all Xbox/Steam games.

Unfortunately MS is one of those companies that uses their own system and if other companies don't want to use their system then they just take their ball and go home with no compromise...

I thought MS allows companies to use their own services if they like? You know, like EA and Square did. I think it was just like they said, the disadvantages would outweight the advantages.

BasicAir

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »

In a recent Valve Steam update, however, character models for games like CS:S have a new model file in their folder called xbox.vtf (if I remember correctly).

Modders of the Source engine and also custom skin makers for CS:S have all been talking in forums that this is because of a possible interaction between games from Valve on both PC and Xbox 360.

Is it true? Well, the evidence is there. Why would Valve start making all these xbox files if they weren't gearing up for an up and coming cross-platform play?

mlapaglia

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(incognegro @ Jun 19 2007, 04:22 PM) *

I thought MS allows companies to use their own services if they like? You know, like EA and Square did. I think it was just like they said, the disadvantages would outweight the advantages.

i think what he meant was they would either have to make "steam" apart of xbox live. even though EA and Square had their own servers to run the games on, it was still through xbox live.

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »

Good decision.

Most people won't get it as to 'why' they stop with cross-platform compatibility. Just think of the horror scenarios for each patch/update and it's required security auditions (both from Valve self and Microsoft, off course).

I'm glad that the game can't be played in multiplayer against console players. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Trex666

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 05:04:00 AM »

Yeah interplay would suck. PC version would get hacked..aimbots and wallhacks galore then 360 and PC owners would suffer then everyone goes crying.
Not to mention that keyboard and mouse totally fux0rz pad.

This post has been edited by Trex666: Jun 20 2007, 12:05 PM

Knasen

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »

As others mentioned before, this is a good move. I sure as hell doesn't want to play a FPS against PC opponents using keyboard and mouse, really unfair.

Consoles and pc's should never compete against eachother online imo.