xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Blastacular Maps  (Read 190 times)

ClintiePoo

• Archived User
Blastacular Maps
« on: April 24, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »

Wow, it has been a while! :-P

Here's my rant, straight from my website:

I'm upset with Microsoft/Bungie.  Halo 2 has a couple new maps that are downloadable via xbox live. I paid $4 for these. Now, whenever I try to download them, I get this error:

Installation of content failed.  See www.xbox.com for more support information.

(IMG:http://memberuploads.xbox-scene.com/uploads/2007_04_25/03_19_47_0420072208_thumb.jpg)

I have called xbox on 5 different occasions.  Twice they were too busy to take my calls and hung up on me.  The other three times they were less than helpful.  Yes, I cleared the cache.  Yes, I tried using someone else's disc.  Yes, I have tried over and over to download them for the last week.  Yes, every one of my friends that I play with on xbox live has the maps except for me.  

Although I'm the only one I know that doesn't have the maps, a quick web search will confirm that this is a widespread problem.  It's ridiculous.  If you make a product, you need to test it fully before you release it to the public.  If your product flops, you need to do everything you can to rectify the situation.  Don't hang up on your customers.  Don't make them spend an hour on the phone to tell them, "Oh yeah, we know about that issue.  Just keep trying."  If you have a customer that pays for a product and is unable to install it, give that customer a refund.  Better yet, mail a disc that will install the product automatically.  And then him a refund.  

So, any ideas on how to fix this?  It's frustrating to pay for something and then not receive it.  (I'm on an xbox 360).  Please help!

lawlessSaturn

• Archived User
Blastacular Maps
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 11:25:00 AM »

do you have 2 payment options on your gamertag if so make sure the payment option has money on it

and also check to see if your hdd has like atleast 2 gigs free

ClintiePoo

• Archived User
Blastacular Maps
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »

Thanks...

My hard drive has 8.9 GB free.  Also, my credit card is fine.  I have already purchased the maps, it just will not download/install them.  I'm stuck.

SovietSlayer

• Archived User
Blastacular Maps
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »

I have the exact same problem and i might have a way to fix it myself. If i delete the whole halo 2 folder from the 360s hdd and reinstall the update it still says i have already purchesed the maps. So when i redownload them it gives me that error. Does anyone if the installer puts a file on the hdd where that tells it that i have purchesed the maps. I'm thinking that it would be somewhere in partition 3 since thats where the the bc files are.

lawlessSaturn

• Archived User
Blastacular Maps
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »

i didnt have a problem downloading them but my brother did on his 360

he just tryed again after like a few hours but i guess thats not the case for you guys i would say delete all your halo 2 files off your hdd and try and redo all the updates and redownload all the maps but start with the blastculer maps so you dont have to wait long to see if it worked

Sgt_Yates

• Recovered User
Blastacular Maps
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 03:51:00 AM »

Dudes, I had the same flippin problem. I was so pissed  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) that after like 40 tries it would never let me download. I kept getting the purchase canceled crap, or the download would never complete. I was T- O'd. After reading online, I found a couple things mentioned. First, I had thought the maps would be free....wrong. Welp, so I read that it would costs $4.00 US. So, I went to buy Microsoft points. I bought 500, my total was 600 something, which I think is more than 4 bucks, so that shoulda been cool. Still didn't work. Then I was like dammit, I am American living in Belgium, maybe the content is limited to US only, or some crap. I couldn't find any restriction listed. I even tried to fire up my original XBOX to download it. I do not have my Live account on there, and I do not recommend trying to merge your account back, even if it is possible. What I did end up doing is checking what (if any) credit cards I had listed under my account settings. I saw my Master Card there, and yep, it was the same one that I still used. Welp, I think that just by making a hit to that credit card, it sort of re-verified it with Microsoft. Right after that, it let me download. I was in business. It never took away from my Microsoft point on my 360, but I suppose it billed my Master card for 4 bucks. I hope this info helps. Hang em High is dope. Later  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/torch.gif)

One other thing I had done, like the dude above mentioned, was I deleted all the 3 map-packs/ extra content, and tried to re-install everything. Again, nothing worked until I sort of re-verified/ viewed my current credit card listing. I wasn't sure if I even had a credit card listed under the account (in retrospect I had to, because I have purchased MS Points a bunch), because I had used to code redemption for 1 full year of Live.

This post has been edited by Sgt_Yates: Apr 27 2007, 10:54 AM

ClintiePoo

• Archived User
Blastacular Maps
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 02:52:00 PM »

Still no maps.  Do these people care about their customers at all???

moddingswede

• Archived User
Blastacular Maps
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »

I think Bungie addressed this somewhat in their weekly update. Don't know if there is much info in there, but you might want to check that out.

hassle

• Archived User
Blastacular Maps
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »

i am one the many that have the downloading problem. ive called microsoft on many occasions with the same results as everyone else. but they told me that the server is a first come first serve basis so just keep trying.
so not only are they not helping, im guessing that they are lying as well. its been what like 2 weeks now and i still cant download the maps, and i dont have my original xbox anymore so i cant try to use teh credit card again. and also i have been charged as well. i understand that i wont be charged again, but i paid 4 dollars to download the maps. since i havent been able to download the maps and all teh problems that are happening they should refund everybody and make them free. if they refund everyone that is having problems, then the people who didnt have problems will be pissed off that they had to pay. all i want to do is play the new maps.......... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Sgt_Yates

• Recovered User
Blastacular Maps
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 03:25:00 AM »

I had forgot about trying this video cable swapping. No, this isn't a gimmick, it is actually recommended on the Bungie website. I think for payment options, the Visa gift cards are the way to go. That way, you get no recurring billing crap. Anyhow, please read below. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) Hope this is useful to someone. It worked for me.

This is info posted from Major Nelson's and Frankie from Bungie's websites. It covers info regarding the newer Halo 2 map pack. The one that costs US $4.00, and it contains two maps: Tombstone and Desolation.

Since this is original Xbox content, it’s worth pointing out the following:

* You can not purchase these maps with MS points because all original Xbox games have no idea what   points are. Therefore, you must have a valid credit card associated with your account in order to purchase the map pack. Please read this article which will show you how to make the changes to your account to add a credit card. All set there, but getting an error when downloading? this may help.
    * Don't have a credit card? Head down to your local Visa gift card retailer (like a supermarket) and charge one up with just enough to cover the purchase.
    * The maps are original Xbox content..so when you purchase them, they are tied the console they are purchased on. You can not go to another box and re-download them for free.

In the US, the maps are priced at $4 for both (this price will vary by international region) – but on 360, they can’t be purchased using Xbox Live Marketplace “points.” Some form of credit card payment is required. On Xbox, that’s not a problem, since a credit card is associated with the account – and that’s the card that the $4 charge will be applied to. The card must of course be valid.

Xbox 360 made it possible to buy a Live Account and Marketplace points without a credit card – so we apologize for the following inconvenience if you’re a 360 owner with no credit card attached to your Live account, but thanks to Halo 2’s olde school tech, this is the simplest way to do it:

Account Management

1.  In the Xbox Dashboard, select the profile that you want to modify, and then select Account Management.
   2.  Select Memberships.
   3.  Select the membership that you want to update.
   4.  Select Change Payment Options.
   5.  Select Add Credit Card.
   6.  Enter the credit card information for the card that you want to add. This can also be a debit or Visa (or similar) gift card, however, some restrictions may apply.

Now that’s the hard stuff out of the way, there are a couple of other things to note about the maps. For the first week or so, they will only be available in Custom Games, giving players the chance to download them before rolling them into Matchmaking. That should happen in about a week, barring any unforeseen circumstances.

There are a couple of bugs to look out for, and this one might cause some issues – especially on Euro 360s – but again, it’s an easy workaround:

The Xbox downloader and update programs needed to get AutoUpdate 5 and the new maps have an odd issue with support of the PAL-60 TV standard on the Xbox 360. This is simply because the backward compatible part of the dashboard was never updated for that resolution and it means you can’t use VGA to run these programs. However, fear not - to work around this, switch over to the composite (yellow) cable that shipped with your Xbox 360, get the update and the maps, and then you can switch back to VGA and play happily like nothing ever happened. Of course, if you’re using a VGA monitor, it does mean you’ll have to connect to a regular TV to complete that process.

We’ve had some mixed reports about availability worldwide, and yes, the maps may roll out more slowly in your region – simply try again later in the day. If you find that you can’t use your account to download the maps, check your settings, and check with a parent to make sure your 360 isn’t set with a protected “Child Account.” Other error messages may appear if a credit card is expired. Again, for 99% of folks, this shouldn’t be a problem, but the very nature of making it available for two totally different consoles makes this content a challenge we worked hard to overcome.

Now, the Matchmaking Playlist update will cause the same kind of growing pains as last time we updated the map selection – with some playlists unavailable to folks who don’t have the new maps (the reasons why are pretty self-evident) but here’s how the new Matchmaking playlists will break down when they go live next week:

· Rumble Pit – Unranked – FFA – New Maps Required!
· Double Team –  Ranked –  2v2 Teams
· Team Slayer –   Ranked – 3 / 4 vs. 3 /4 - New Maps Required!
· Team Skirmish –  Ranked – 3 /4 vs. 3 /4 – New Maps Required!
· Team Training – Unranked – 3 /4 vs. 3 /4
· Team Snipers – Ranked – 3 / 4 vs. 3 / 4 – New Maps Required!
· Team Hardcore – Ranked – 3 /4 vs. 3 /4
· Team SWAT – Unranked – 3 /4 vs. 3 /4 – New Maps Required!
· Big Team Battle – Unranked – 5 / 6 vs. 5 /6

This post has been edited by Sgt_Yates: Apr 29 2007, 10:30 AM

Sgt_Yates

• Recovered User
Blastacular Maps
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 03:36:00 AM »

Here is another version...grabbed from here

Hey,

a lot of people seem to have problems with downloading the new Map pack from Xbox Live which Bungie released today for their hit selling shooter “Halo 2″. I was having a lot of problems myself, but anyway, I got them solved…

First you have to know some facts about this Map Pack…

• It is not available from the Marketplace on your Xbox 360
  • You can not buy it with your purchased “Microsoft Points”
  • You have to have a valid Credit Card
  • You have to have this Credit Card attached to you Xbox Live Account
  • You need to be a gold member, because you are using the old Halo 2 mechanism to download this map pack, and this will handle your silver membership as an “Error”, this old system does not know about silver membership and nobody has told it about… So it handles you as a “No Member”…
  • Recheck if you have a valid Credit Card attached to your Live Account…
So now to how to solve the downloading problems people seem to have while downloading them to the storage of their Xbox 360. First you have to know the Xbox 360 handles downloaded packets in a different way the old Xbox did, so the “catch” (the orange line informing you about the downloading Progress) is not correct. The Xbox handles these packets correct, but the catch line is not software created but hardware created. The server tells the hardware there is content to be downloaded, then the software is showing you that you can download the content and you accept to download it - then the hardware asks the server how big this pack is in the end. After that the hardware will start its calculations of the line from the information it has just recieved, for this info will now be asked by the software, and the software at least is calculating the progress bar (the “catch line”, remember the orange line). But the Software doesn’t know about the xbox 360, and thinks it is run from a regular Xbox. It also doesn’t know about the difference in handling packets received from the server of the Xbox 360, that is in the end calculating the “progress bar”. Once this “progress bar” reaches its 100%, it thinks you have downloaded the packet, which you haven’t and this is causing you serious problems, yeah you are right - the ones you have…

So what can you do? This is easy…

You already have your console on with Halo 2 in …[haha, just kidding] you have checked, but you need to have checked all above mentioned things and then you are good to go for the following

• Start the download, answer the question about the price you have to pay with “yes”
  • The download starts
  • From now on till the end you have to press the “X” button about 10-30 times according to how fast your download rate is
  • Pressing “X” returns you to the “Content Download Overview” screen, just press “A” again, to just start from where you have left off.
  • Doing this makes your Console recalculate the Cache Bar again, and this is the solution to the download problem.
  • It’s important that you watch out to pause the download just before it finishes, so that the already downloaded amount of packets can be correctly calculated.
  • But don’t forget to do this also during the whole downloading process, this will lower the risk of packets being wrong calculated.
So have fun with this nice (re)release of maps, and I hope to see you online soon. If you liked this tutorial drop me a line and subscribe to this blog…

Till then…