xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: An Inconvenient Truth: Xbox Live Gold is Overpriced  (Read 653 times)

ShadowmanX

• Archived User
An Inconvenient Truth: Xbox Live Gold is Overpriced
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »

Xbox Live isn't over priced, sure I would like to see a bit of a reduction, but It's really not that much.
They should add more features to Gold though, I agree with that, More free things and some sort of Loyalty scheme.
At the end of the day, if you want Free Online gaming, Go play on the PC or what-ever, From what I've seen the PS3's online capabilities don't even compare and it comes down to "You get what you pay for", you also need to remember that Games consoles and PC's are different things, Your always going to have to pay different costs for different services.

Mega_mil

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(ShadowmanX @ Apr 21 2007, 04:07 AM) View Post

Xbox Live isn't over priced, sure I would like to see a bit of a reduction, but It's really not that much.
They should add more features to Gold though, I agree with that, More free things and some sort of Loyalty scheme.
At the end of the day, if you want Free Online gaming, Go play on the PC or what-ever, From what I've seen the PS3's online capabilities don't even compare and it comes down to "You get what you pay for", you also need to remember that Games consoles and PC's are different things, Your always going to have to pay different costs for different services.

Exactly, like paying $200-$400 for a new video card just to play the next big title.

gg22mm

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »

Like most of us, I want:

Dedicated Servers - I was so in disbelief when I found about the absence of these. Come on, that was the purpose of LIVE and the reason for it's success. MS don't need to provide the servers, game companies should as a part of their certification process. Dedicated servers should be part of any good multiplayer game/experience. They want my money for downloadable content I say you'll have my money if you make games that are worth it.

Multiple party voice/video chat - I just can't believe i'ts not here yet. I mean, you have some sort of it during games, why not bring it to the dashboard?

Like some of us, I want:

Age filters - I want to be able to choose with who I game. When I want to play with kids I play with my own. And I want my kid to play with/against kids around his age.

Like few of us I want:

To keep it at a cost - to penalize cheaters and keep as many underaged kids away as possible.

Anyway, I wouldn't have a problem with 1v1 and coop being free for silver users. How unfeasable is that?

TheIceman72

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2007, 01:39:00 AM »

You guys just have the typical "never satisfied" mentality. I mean come on now....Lets look at the numbers here. M$ is loosing money on every system just to provide us with something nice thats not Sony. M$ has the absolute best online console service on the market and only charges less then $5 bucks a month to use it. Now with less than $5 bucks a month you want dedicated servers? Thats totally unreasonable if you really think about it. People are complaining about free stuff...Now how many of the free demos that you guys are complaining about saved you from blowing $60 bucks on a game you would have other wise purchased? Thats worth $50 bucks a year alone in my book. There are many free themes and avatars for download. How many do you want? You guys keep comparing your experience to PC's. First off the 360 can be purchased for $300 bucks. Hmmmm, you need to drop that just on a damn video card these days. Not including the tons of other stuff needed to make PC games work well. I guess that stuff is free for PC users. It damn well better be. Look at the PS3...they paid $600 bucks for a piece of junk. Sony has to have some kinda value to push that crap. They said...Humm lets screw them over on the deck and then toss them some crappy online service for free. That will make them happy. Something people never really understand is that you get what you pay for. This is a business for M$. You want those features like dedicated servers. They will probably raise the Gold fee more to do that, hell they have to. When was the last time you purchased a server. Yet alone Many Dedicated servers that can hold the traffic these servers do. Hell I bet you guys don't bitch and moan about the price of soda your slurping down playing games. Hell your paying more for your pizza and drinks every month than you are for XBlive. Put it into perspective and enjoy it. Laugh at the Sony fanboys that have a basic online service while you have XBlive. Laugh at the people that only own Wii's. Hell they don't even have an online service. So stop bitching and enjoy your grass on this side and stop looking out the windows and thinking the grass is greener on the other side.
Damn

$50 bucks a year for Gold service = Mad Cheap
Saving me hundreds by allowing me to play before I buy sub par games that I can't take back to the store and ask for a refund = Priceless

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2007, 05:39:00 AM »

i rarely play online on XBL, hell online gaming doesnt even bother me that much (since burnout 3) but i still pay for XBL, and i dont find it overpriced, and i barely even use it.

speedy_g

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2007, 07:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(Xbox-Scene @ Apr 20 2007, 08:59 PM) View Post

Buko:

He also forgets that M$ makes a loss on each 360 sold, and that gold members will soon get access to PC cross platform services free as an extra with this service. Remember on Xbox 1 it was only for online gaming, on the 360 it's all manor of things, and I think it's more value for money.

Edit, also the Market place is optional and so is Video Market Place. You DON"T have to buy them extras.

And in what kind of cartbox have you been living. I thought that live price was justified in first xbox generation and even when the new incarnation of the box was released. I own both systems plus Nintendo Wii. Yes, Wii's online gaming is a joke to compared to either of the big players Microsoft or Sony's version. So i'm not even gonna say anything more about it.

Why am I saying that u have been living in a cardbox, you might ask?
Well have u heard the astronomical figures that Sony is making loss on each PS3 manufactured in addition the cost of PS3 manufacturing problems and delayed launch? Why am I pointing these out... 'cause have u heard about Sony's Home for PS3. It has features beyond imagination and it is free! Of course there are services u have to pay for buying games, microshit etc... but the consept behind it was beyond anybodys expectations, looks like Crazy Ken and other folks in sony really pulled it out. (ofcourse it has been deleloped for years)

If you have microsoft is in 10times better situation at the moment. Premium 360 is not making them loss anymore or it is about +/- profit, but livemarket place is like a goldmine.

The things that the writer pointed out just great ideas in marketing wise. I play, but I don't do it frequently,  I do it when I have spare time. I grap the pad and start gaming, so I don't see no reason for paying 50euros for the service. I'm even thinking of buying the PS3 just because of the free online play and home.

Think about these and give me five good reason why I should pay for live when all the other services are free, demos & e.g...and sony will offer even better service for free?

As mentioned in this thread many times... back in the old days Live gaming service, kind of a luxury service that only xbox players could enjoy, it was truely value to money. Now that even gameranks/times (i.e PGR3) etc are online for free, have even less reasons for paying for the service.

MaxKool

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »

Everybody wants somthing for nothing.

There is no free lunch, and XBox live is a gormet meal compared to the Burger king of ps3 online and the Dumpster diving of WII online.... IE there isnt any "food"

The 360 is my 1st stint into console online gaming. $50 for a whole year??? Shit man you cant get ANY entertainment for 5$ a month...

People pay $15 a month to play warcrack....

The ps3 online service SUCKS ASS, its not even fair to compare it at all in the same sentence. Its crap, plain and simple. Sure the gaming itself is ok, but the getting into it, the gui, just everything about SCREAMS FREE! IT feels like some open source software PC guys wrote. My ps3 basicly sits and colects dust unless I want to watch a BR disk.

I would like to see some more options for Gold members tho,mabye some more free themes or Pics. Im kinda sick of the free themes we got. They havent added any free ones since the GoW one.... The differance between options of the silver and gold accounts is not big enough.

chuckthefuk

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »

Xbox Live Gold is not overpriced..

12-Month Gold Subscription Card (XBOX 360 Live)
Make sure you stay connected to the exciting world of the Xbox 360 Live community. It is the... More Info
Price: $59.99 (Canadian)

Thats a year of services.  Hell i pay $65 on my cell phone each month.

The Microsoft Points are overpriced!!!     1400 Points for $25 Canadina which can only buy you two Arcade Games or 3 add-on to a game.   What a rip off..

How is there no price break?  

The more you buy shouldn't you get it a better price?

XBOX Live 2800 Points Card (XBOX 360)
Price: $39.99

XBOX Live 1400 Points Card (XBOX 360)
Price: $19.99

The points is where M$ makes its money...   Live Subscription pays out to upgrading and maintaining Live..  since theres bandwidth / content / QoS / etc...

Just my 2cents

Mega_mil

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(g8crapachino @ Apr 22 2007, 09:05 AM) View Post

Xbox live costs $12.00 a MONTH. That's cheap if you put it into perspective.   The guy who wrote this article probable spends more on Starbucks coffee in a week. ($5 for a cup of coffee...think about it).  

We live a in a world where everyone wants to pay less for more while simultaneously expecting to get paid more for doing less.  You complain when someone does make more money then you but feel smug towards others who make less then you.  I have no doubt that everyone here, if given the opportunity, would probable do the exact same things as Microsoft, Sony, or any other large corporation to make some money.  You're all greedy in your own way, some of you just try to hide it behind a facade.

If you are paying $12.00 a month, then you are getting robbed.  Your better off saving your money for half the year and then buying a whole year subscription at that price.  $49.99 a year is nothing but $12 a month, while also cheap, is nothing compared to the 50 bucks a year.

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »

Shit some people pay $50 for just 4-5 months of online play for one stupid online RPG and they bitch about a service to play many games.  If it was free servers would be overcrowded and lag would be an issue.  I could of got a year of live subs for $32 each year the other day if I wanted to.  You just need to know where to look to find it cheaper.

rooicity

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »

...completely gratis...

Is "gratis" actually an english word ?
It sounds awfull dutch to me  biggrin.gif

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2007, 11:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(rooicity @ Apr 23 2007, 07:09 AM) View Post

It exists in Middle English. It is mentioned on the web several times. Also, I think it's even part of the normal English language, if we believe Wiktionary.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2007, 09:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(rooicity @ Apr 23 2007, 01:09 AM) View Post

IIRC gratis is either Latin or based on a similar Latin word.

"free" is ambiguous particularly when talking about software

it could mean free as in freedom, meaning fee to choose, or fee to do as you please.

or it could mean free as in no charge, meaning that it doesn't cost you anything.

This is why some use the term "gratis" which basically means, free, as in no charge.

the Playstation network is gratis... but it's not "Libre". Liber is free as in freedom (liber is derived from "liberty").

Meaning that you don't have to pay for it  but it's not open source, and it's not an open network, so you don't technically have the freedom to do as you please with the network.

gratis is used because calling the PSN "free" isn't specific enough.

lawlessSaturn

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »

i think gold should be no more than 30$ USD a year due to how much they make in the marketplace and microsoft points
Pages: 1 2 [3]