xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Major Nelson Confirms Xbox LIVE Country Check  (Read 206 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Major Nelson Confirms Xbox LIVE Country Check
« on: November 28, 2006, 11:39:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | November 29 01:03 EST

From Major Nelson's Blog (Microsoft's Xbox Live Director of Programming):

A recent security change to the Xbox Live service may have impacted users online purchase experience.  Currently the video marketplace service and related content is only available to consumers in the United States. Although we will continue to work on providing content and rolling out the service in other markets, US Marketplace offers will be restricted to the US only.  This means that the credit card associated with your account is required to match the billing address and country your account is set up in. Note that we are not banning any of these Xbox Live accounts, as they can continue to use pre-paid subscription cards and Microsoft Points cards.

Customers wanting to check the billing information on their account can do this on their console or by signing into Xbox.com with your account and then go to MY XBOX-> MY PROFILE then to BILLING AND CONTACT INFORMATION.

We also realize that there may be a small number of international users that were impacted by this change that have a legitimate reason for why their billing location does not match their account location.  We are working to deal with these exceptions on a case by case basis and are working on a solution for these consumers.

hardhead36

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 11:04:00 PM »

If they aren't banning those accounts, I wonder what they will do?  That means they will have to do  a check somehow for the credit card to the address.    Not that I'm affected by this, I just don't like being snooped on.  Will this affect only those people that try to download movies internationally or will they siphon through every account to check and see........  Last time I check,  LIVE users were in the millions.

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 11:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(hardhead36 @ Nov 29 2006, 06:35 AM) *

If they aren't banning those accounts, I wonder what they will do?  That means they will have to do  a check somehow for the credit card to the address.
They will check the country of the IP address which is used most of the time to connect to Xbox Live. Compare the country to the credit card billing address and if it doesn't match, disallow the download of movies.

Not that I'm affected by this, I just don't like being snooped on.
Then you shouldn't have signed up for Xbox Live. You already have been 'snooped on'. Several times, actually.

Will this affect only those people that try to download movies internationally or will they siphon through every account to check and see........  Last time I check,  LIVE users were in the millions.
Start a script, sip some coffee, look at the final report.

This post has been edited by The Zep Man: Nov 29 2006, 07:25 AM

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 11:32:00 PM »

LOL your being snooped on all the time.  

Dont talk on a cell phone, drive in traffic, walk around your city, or surf the internet if your really worried about it.

And definately, definately, dont update your dvd firmware in your 360.   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

jimjom

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 12:18:00 AM »

BLACK HELICOPTERS DO EXIST!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

outbreaks

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 12:31:00 AM »

I live in New Zealand. (And my account is Setup in New Zealand) I tried to play Perfect Dark Online and I got into the lobby by joining a game. But when I go to start the game it starts to load and then stops (I am PRETTY SURE I hear the DVD Drive Spin down) and then shows SAVING and the has a black screen foreva. Am I affected? Or is this just one of my problems, THanks

sniffinpoprocks

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 12:56:00 AM »

I guess I'll be one of those 'case by case' people. I have an american xbox, account, etc but I'm in Germany working for the US army, connecting through german telco DSL.

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 01:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(outbreaks @ Nov 28 2006, 11:02 PM) *

I live in New Zealand. (And my account is Setup in New Zealand) I tried to play Perfect Dark Online and I got into the lobby by joining a game. But when I go to start the game it starts to load and then stops (I am PRETTY SURE I hear the DVD Drive Spin down) and then shows SAVING and the has a black screen foreva. Am I affected? Or is this just one of my problems, THanks

i believe you aren't affected. only if you are buying from the video marketplace on a US account from another country. seems like you should check your router (if you have one) and maybe contact customer support.

on topic though. i kinda saw this coming. right now, the video marketplace is microsoft's newest and biggest asset for xbl. they want more content and we do too. while this new policy bites pretty much the whole world in the ass, here's hopes that microsoft will gain the trust of many broadcasting companies through this new BS which in return gives us all more content around the globe. i don't see why microsoft wouldn't want to make as much content available around the world, hell, they make money off it, so i say give it time and hopefully they'll get some better contracts that allow them to distribute the content in more areas.

RiPpN-N-TrIppN

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 01:22:00 AM »

there doing this because diffrent countrys have diffrent ratings for movies
what could be PG in one coutry could be R18 in another
so it would then be ilegal for that person to download that movie
and if M$ doesnt stop this from happening im sure they could be sued
Rip

Naquadah

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 01:55:00 AM »

Gawwww i wanted to use my US account to pay for Phantasy Star Universe, woulda been a cupple o quid cheaper per month

quall

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 04:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(RiPpN-N-TrIppN @ Nov 29 2006, 02:53 AM) *

there doing this because diffrent countrys have diffrent ratings for movies
what could be PG in one coutry could be R18 in another
so it would then be ilegal for that person to download that movie
and if M$ doesnt stop this from happening im sure they could be sued
Rip
You can sell unrated movies all you want, you can even sell them with your own rating. Most corps don't though. They stick with what people know. I don't think that is the problem.  It is probably more along the lines of publishing and trade rights across countries. MS may have rights to sell a movie in the US, but not the UK, or all around the world.

The Bat

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 05:35:00 AM »

I'm guessing that Canadians won't be affected by this.  Even though US contests almost always exclude the ~28 million of us living immediately to their north, game launches, console launches, and movie launches all have the same release dates.  Does anyone know for certain?

geoffmac

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 05:36:00 AM »

I just get the scratch cards for marketplace points so they dont have any CC details to check, but like said earlier they prolly check the ip origin.

Gff

leorimolo

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 05:52:00 AM »

ohh...great. This sucks ill have to use a proxy to connect and DL movies. I have a question what if my billing address is in the US and my IP in Costarica?

a134

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 08:09:00 AM »

Now give Europe some exclusive stuff that US will not get, and there will be no problem (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif) And what is the aim of these exclusives - they want us to move to US?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

This post has been edited by a134: Nov 29 2006, 04:11 PM