xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xlink Kai Starter Guide  (Read 284 times)

xrkahn76

• Archived User
Xlink Kai Starter Guide
« on: November 17, 2009, 07:18:00 AM »

Official TeamXLink 360 info thread located here ..
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27715

For starters, your mother doesn't work here, so you will have to do as much as you can before signing into Xlink and asking, "how do I get this thing to work?" while we are trying to play our games.  If you can flash a DVD drive, then you should be able to read instructions on how to get the program working.  I will include links on how to set up and give some pointers on running smoothly.

Before you read the steps, you should know a few things....

Ping- this is the time it takes for your PC to "say hello" to another PC on the internet and get a reply.  You will not see your own ping because you are already where you are.

What makes ping what it is?  For starters, your internet service.  The faster your up speed, the lower your ping will be.  After that, any PC's, xboxes, netflix receivers, and anything that uses the interent will affect your ping.
This includes Torrent or any kind of downloads, Net browsers, Messengers (things that are specific to using the internet.  DO NOT COME IN ASKING HOW TO LOWER YOUR PING!  CLOSE THESE TYPES OF PROGRAMS!  If that doesn't lower your ping, then either subscribe to faster internet service or find people who live closer to you.

XBOX 360 Games have a ping limit of 30ms.  THIS CANNOT BE CHANGED!  DO NOT COME IN ASKING IF ANYONE CAN FIX THIS!  YOU ARE AS LIKELY TO UNBAN YOUR XBOX AS YOU ARE TO GET THIS NUMBER TO CHANGE.  That being said, know that 31ms, as commonly seen, can work!

Firewalls- Software firewalls will interfere with XLINK.  You must rely on Hardware firewalls located inside your router.  You wil have to open up a port that you set in XLINK to allow it to work.  This is normally  30000 UDP by default.   Deep port is always ZERO.

Wired/Wireless- Wireless communication, by nature, will increase your ping.  WIRED is THE BEST solution!  It is also best to connect both the PC and the 360 to the router!  Unless you know ho wto use your PC as a pass through for interent, do not plug your 360 into your PC or laptop, then your PC to the router.  If you can get this to work, GREAT! If not, I WILL NOT help you and I haven't seen many people playing who will!  Wired separately is the best option!  The best option is SETUP A in the instructions listed below.

With all that out of the way, here is what you should do if you are new to XLINK

1.  Go to the website and SIGN UP!  Then confirm your registration via email before you go any further!!!!!!!!

2.  Click the Download tab and select XLINK KAI EVOLUTION 7.4 Beta for your OS.

3. INSTALL

4.  Heres where the work begins!  There are 2 interfaces (for windows since it is what I use)  THere is a Web UI that you use in a browser, and a GUI which is a standalone program/interface.  USE THE GUI!  In your Start menu, you will have Configure, Start user interface, and Start Kai.  Select Start KAI.  You will see an icon on the bottom right of your task bar for KAI.  Right click and select configure.  This will open the configuration in a browser.  

A. Under User Interface, selct Standard GUI, not Web UI.
B.Under Network Settings, Select Autodetect, then a port that XLINK will use.  This is default 30000 UDP.  You can change this, but whatever number it is, you will have to go into your routers firewall and forward this port.  You are on your own for doing this!  Make sure  you forward the same port listed in config PORT.  Deep port should be ZERO.  Check AUTODETECT PROXY SERVER, Winpcap engine, and Enable PAT (PAT enabled may not work, so you may need to come back and uncheck it.
C. Language  - this should be obvious
D. Engine settings- you can enter the info you used in STEP 1 here to help you log in when you start KAI.  After that, click Auto login.  Then hit save.

Now you need to make sure you handle the port forwarding mentioned in B.

On the XLINK SITE Click Help, then the QUICK START GUIDE.  These are the site's instructions for getting started.

After you have handled the above, Click START KAI.  You should have opened the GUI and it should log you in if you configured properly.  You may need to go back and disable PAT, but try to move forward first.

In the GUI, you will see a magnifying glass.  After clicking this, click the folder below it and this is where you will see your 360's mac address.  If you see nothing, load up your game and go to system link and search for games.  Your 360's mac address should now appear if you are setup properly.  Some people have had luck changing their 360's mac address as discussed here

If you see your 360 and have the game loaded, you should be ready to find games.  You will only be able to play people near you.  The program is so simple.  CLick the globe near the magnifying glass, select XBOX 360, then the game genre, the game you are playing, the region you are in, and you should be in an area filled with people in your same country/area.  If no one is there, then you need TO SPREAD THE WORD!  This system will only work if we can get it populated!

Understand, I personally have little patience for people unwilling to help themselves.  I will not hold your hand.  If you haven't even gotten your 360 visible in XLINK, then I will assume you have not even read this guide or the one on the website, and I will not stop playing to help you.  If I see you asking how to play or how to join and I see you have a ping of say 76ms or anything higher than 31ms, I will again assume you have not read!  if I can see your ping on the left of the GUI, you can see mine.  31MS is the limit!  This only matters to players and the host. If you and I ping at 40ms, we can still play with a host that we both ping @15ms.  The ping is not player to player, but all players to the HOST.  

I know I did not cover everything, but the basics!  Anything you need to know should be listed on the website for XLINK, and if you are reading this, then you can read it there!

NOW WHAT?   SPREAD THE WORD!  Help us get more users and you will spend less time waiting and more time playing!  

NOW PLAY!

VOICE SUPPORT- I don't know how many games support voice over sys link, but COD MW2 does not!  I suggest you download Mumble as it is a low latency voice program for your PC.  Teamspeak, Ventrillo, and Roger Wilco will all spike your ping, preventing you from being able to join games.  You may find other voice programs, but you should keep 2 things in mind.  How much bandwidth does it need, and does it offer VOX(voice activation)  You do not want to have to hit the space bar every time you talk.

Hope this helped and I hope to see the system get populated!

This post has been edited by c-2: Oct 8 2010, 11:58 PM

me2611

• Archived User
Xlink Kai Starter Guide
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »

Nice work xrkahn76  beerchug.gif

Am hoping that users will download the app and give it a try! MY bro is allways on and his mate playing MW2 UK.

Peace Out

xrkahn76

• Archived User
Xlink Kai Starter Guide
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »

We are still trying to get this system populated.

We have a voice server running on mumble

you can download it here

It does not raise your ping!

tactical

• Archived User
Xlink Kai Starter Guide
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »

I understand your frustration with helping NEWBIES, but, if this thing is gonna catch on, so we can get the 1 million people that were banned from LIVE to log  on  to kai , we will have to have WECOME , can we HELP YOU, all over  the place. People that are LEARNING this are ALL NEWBIES and most people NEED to ask questions without having VERBAL abuse or treating them like "idiots" for asking NEWBIE questions.
Kai team should be pushing this HARD, it is their TIME to ACT , in the past we were all on LIVE, so it didn't make sense to do kai, but NOW it is.
I am having pssdk library problems in win 7 , and was reading about it on kai forums, have to use wincap based kai.  
Kai might want to make a WIN 7 "friendly version".
I used to use kai with my xbox1 for years, so I did use it in the past, Kai might want to gear their MAIN page for 360 info and working overtime to get the Masses of banned people to play it.  
It would be helpful to you, because you will then have more and more people in your AREA playing kai. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
p.s. if Kai can step up to the plate , and make the transition from LIVE to Kai smooth, xbox-scene could post NEW Kai info for 360 and we can get more people into it.

This post has been edited by tactical: Nov 20 2009, 06:10 PM

xrkahn76

• Archived User
Xlink Kai Starter Guide
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »

You are right.  I am just very annoyed by 2 things.  The overall attitude of the community that they were wronged by M$ so lets just bitch and cry and over post so important threads get buried, and the complete lack of initiative by the people who simply download Kai and expect results.

I don't mind helping people who have gone as far as they can go with the setup guide and still have problems.  That's called trouble shooting, and we have alot of it.  It's  the people who do all the steps, then come in to Kai saying this is BS, I see games and can't connect to any of them (and their ping is 128ms).

I put this up in hopes that people would read it.  Then when they hit a wall, have less variables to troubleshoot because they have already done the basics.  I encourage people to post their troubles and questions HERE!  

PLEASE!!!  Follow the steps, then come back if you have trouble!  Please don't come into kai when you have trouble and complain about being banned, bitch about M$, or ask questions that are covered in this or XLINK's guide!  That is my real gripe!

SO AGAIN PEOPLE, READ, RE-READ, GIVE IT A TRY, POST HERE!  We are all frustrated, for different reasons, but we are all in this together!

tactical

• Archived User
Xlink Kai Starter Guide
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »

Yeah, this should be talked up more, but even Kai is not doing anything to push it.
I am sure they did in the past and tried to deal with ping problem, but NOW everything has changed and their is possibility of getting 1 million people to join kai so we can have people in our area.
1,000 people total were on kai when I checked the other day and that includes people on psp and other devices.
With 100,000 people on kai with 360's we could have option to play at least some of your games.
I too am wondering why more people are not discussing Other options to LIVE, I have been trying to push Portable LIVE servers where 4-16 of us can play a LIVE game on server pc in our area.  
We have to do something and instead of crying and moaning we have to generate ways to make alternative ways to play online with the 1 million of us hit by ban.
Kai has to make win 7 version kai that works automatically.  You know what I mean, that automates the process.  I gave up on it a couple of weeks ago when I first got banned and it's good to see you helping out others trying to connect.  I do understand your frustration with Newbies but KAI is not set up like in the past for xbox1 and there are more hoops to jump through to make it work.

This post has been edited by tactical: Nov 20 2009, 07:51 PM

xrkahn76

• Archived User
Xlink Kai Starter Guide
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »

This may or may not help people, as I was able to play games before doing it.

When you hit the magnifying glass to see if your 360 is connected, you see the mac address when it is.  If you go into the 360's network settings and change the first 6 characters to 00125A, your 360 will then register as an XBOX/XBox 360 configured successfully in the magnifying glass/Diagnostic mode on KAI.

xrkahn76

• Archived User
Xlink Kai Starter Guide
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »

oops

This post has been edited by xrkahn76: Nov 26 2009, 04:05 AM

xrkahn76

• Archived User
Xlink Kai Starter Guide
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 12:52:00 AM »

(IMG:http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t357/pcpimpx/XLINK_mac_addy.jpg)

You want your system to show up like this, not just your mac address

lcollier93

• Archived User
Xlink Kai Starter Guide
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »

ok I have followed these steps EXACTLY on both my windows vista and windows 7 computers and the same problem occurs both times. after I configure my firewall and configure kai with the browser ui, whenver I click start kai, it starts but when I mouse over the icon in the system tray it dissappears. the gui just says: searching for kai engine. I've tried reinstalling multiple times and it always does the same thing. any help you could offer would be great cuz it's pissing me off!

Edit: I have tried running with administrator with no luck...

This post has been edited by lcollier93: Dec 9 2009, 02:16 AM

naftthreee

• Archived User
Xlink Kai Starter Guide
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(lcollier93 @ Dec 9 2009, 02:15 AM) *

ok I have followed these steps EXACTLY on both my windows vista and windows 7 computers and the same problem occurs both times. after I configure my firewall and configure kai with the browser ui, whenver I click start kai, it starts but when I mouse over the icon in the system tray it dissappears. the gui just says: searching for kai engine. I've tried reinstalling multiple times and it always does the same thing. any help you could offer would be great cuz it's pissing me off!

Edit: I have tried running with administrator with no luck...

I have exactly the same problem and I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

p.s for all the ppl that have issues even start running Kai in windows 7 make sure to change the compatibility to wither windows vista or windows xp.

This post has been edited by naftthreee: Jan 13 2010, 03:55 AM

fst111

• Archived User
Xlink Kai Starter Guide
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(naftthreee @ Jan 12 2010, 09:53 PM) View Post

I have exactly the same problem and I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.
p.s for all the ppl that have issues even start running Kai in windows 7 make sure to change the compatibility to wither windows vista or windows xp.

People with loading up problem, please make sure you google search Winpcap and install the Winpcap software.  You can always load up to the web after you deleted the kaiUserConfig file from:

c:\...\Application Data\XLink Kai\kaiUserConfig.txt

thesonandheir

• Archived User
Xlink Kai Starter Guide
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »

Just joined today, no one on from the UK on MW2. We do have pishy internet speeds in this country tho!