xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Question About Quake 2 On Xbox 360  (Read 355 times)

ZeRO_SiGNAL

• Archived User
Question About Quake 2 On Xbox 360
« on: December 19, 2005, 09:09:00 PM »

alright alright.. before anything starts lemme just explain some things....

I am new to this forum and I have looked through all the forum subjects and decided this one was going to be the one that I might get a result from... so if this post is felt to be in an improper part of the forum, I do apologize.

Alright so...here is my question..

Ever since buying Quake 4 and seeing that Quake 2 was included.. I couldnt help but think about possibly playing Quake 2 online. Now it is system link capable and im sure its been noted around here in the forum somewhere... but wouldnt it be possible to play it online on a tunneling service such as xbconnect? or xlink?. And has anyone actually tried it?

Another question that pops into my head is a stupid one... but would it be possible to bridge between PC Quake 2 and Xbox 360 quake 2.. and would it be a matter of figuring out how the 360 version actually sits and waits for a connection when a server is started.. or would it just be impossible all together because of new programming; being able to play quake with a pc player would be pretty neat in my opinion. It's just the idea of doing something in a game that the developer did not intend for that makes me ask this question.

Sooo..i do expect some n00b remarks from this thread, but if you guys could just bare with me and give me some sort of legit response.. that would be appreciated... thank  you

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 09:16:00 PM »

and this is related to 360 hacking how?

i believe xlink and xbc are both 360 compatible now

zerosignal0

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 09:33:00 PM »

Hey I thought i was the only zerosignal here.... lol
j/k

signed the real zerosignal

Casper1786

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 09:04:00 AM »

well I can see that 360-PC gameing may be possible, as with Tunneling the Computer seems to be capable of "tricking" the XBOX/XBOX360 into Thinking that there is another system on the Lan.

Now I'm not sure about this but do these tunneling services have all the data that go's in/out of the consoles travel through the PC? or does the software kinda like just devert any data in the network from the console to think that it's using Lan instand of Wan?

but I'm thinking that some kinda app for the PC will have to be thought up, 1 that can convert the signals from each machine and connect the 2, would be neat if they could input some mic support into it, like have the app be capable of picking up and sending the mic signals seperate from other gamecode, and on the PC have the user be able to use say a USB headset or somthin, best bet would be to go to a big quake community and talk about this such thing, and heck since we have quake2 on the XBOX(ported versions) maybe even ask about the possibility to interconnect all 3 machines, kinda like how the guy porting Quake3 has support between the XBOX and PC in mind for online play

Agent ME

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 04:36:00 PM »

I highly doubt anyone will be able to get the 360-q2 and pc q2 to play together, but a side-note - the xbox1 ports of quake1, 2, and 3 will play against pc counterparts flawlessly.

Also, just try it with XBC - it should work.

calliburx

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 09:45:00 AM »

Me and a friend took it apon ourselves to try and get quake 2 online using xbconnect.  While you can start a server and you can see it on the xbox360, if you try and connect to the game it will just hang.  I am thinking that the guys who created xbconnect can fix this to where you can actually play it online as you can see the game in the join server browser.  But as of this post it is unsupported.

This post has been edited by calliburx: May 21 2006, 04:46 PM