xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: God Damn Networking!  (Read 208 times)

Monkey106

• Archived User
God Damn Networking!
« on: April 18, 2006, 03:57:00 PM »

Why did M$ have to make networking so fucked up on this console?

I've connected my 360 to the computer. Well actually i've connected it a few times, in all its networking orifices.

The first time I connected it, it actually worked. I had it connected to the onboard ethernet of the computer. I could go on Live and stream music and photos from the computer. However, the next day, the network connection to the xbox deleted itself on the computer end. It's done this many times before for the original xbox network I had set up. So I thought to myself, "Ok, i'll just re-install the network device drivers. That'll fix it," which unfortunately it didn't. What did happen was that the network connection did re-appear, but this time with limited or no connectivity. I couldn't connect to Live or stream media on this connection. So then I thought, "I know, i'll plug the 360 into the back of my USB modem/router thingo," which I did. Now this allows me to connect to Live, and yet for some FUCKED UP reason it will not let me stream media. It says it can't find the computer. I've tried re-installing Windows Media Connect, but to no avail.

I've got everything set to DHCP.

Any help? If I need to be more descriptive, I can be.

tgm4883

• Archived User
God Damn Networking!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 05:05:00 PM »

Is your dsl modem also a router?  Cause if you plug your xbox into your modem and its not a router also it wont work

And it sounds like its your network setup, not the console.

Monkey106

• Archived User
God Damn Networking!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 06:15:00 PM »

My dsl modem is the Dynalink RTA100+ usb Router/Modem. That's what it says on its sticker anyway. I know it's the network setup that's screwed, I just like to blame the xbox because it makes me feel less stupid.

So why would the internet and Live work though, but not streaming? Or rather, why does the network connection say limited or no connectivity this time around? Because if I could fix that i guess it'd probably work.

Monkey106

• Archived User
God Damn Networking!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 12:29:00 AM »

Oh yeah I forgot to mention i've turned all the firewalls off. ALL of them. And by the by, when I installed windows media connect it had no problems whatsoever seeing the xbox. It's just the xbox that can't see the computer.

Rodstorm

• Archived User
God Damn Networking!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 12:53:00 AM »

Mate welcome to my world.
I did something similar but for some god forsaken reason my pc will not connect to my 360.
It did the first time I did it but not again.
The 360 saids it cant see my pc but my pc can see my 360 through Media Connect.
I've reinstalled Media connect a 100 times, disabled my firewall, tried manual and auto settings...nothing.
I think its a gateway issue as no value seems to come up in auto or manual settings which is strange especially with auto settings.
I'am using an ethernet card to connect to my 360 from my pc, and to use Live I just take the cable out of the back of my pc and plug it into my adsl modem.
So I'am stuck too.
I know its me, well I hope it is, but some help would be great.
Thanks.

MaxEgg

• Archived User
God Damn Networking!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 07:01:00 AM »

I couldn't get mine to work until i uninstalled, not just disabled, the firewalls and mcafee privacy software.

Monkey106

• Archived User
God Damn Networking!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 04:01:00 PM »

Yeah mine's windows SP2 firewall though, and I don't know if you can uninstall that. It'd be good though because that little Windows Security Alerts thing keeps having balloon popups that are giving me the shits.

Tripme

• Archived User
God Damn Networking!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 08:08:00 PM »

Why not try using a cheap switch?  That way you can bypass all those computer settings.  I have never had a problem with that....

This post has been edited by Tripme: Apr 20 2006, 03:09 AM

tgm4883

• Archived User
God Damn Networking!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 10:39:00 PM »

Yea get a cheap switch its probably the easiest way.

And if your plugging your xbox 360 directly into your computer and it doesn't work, but it works when you plug it into the dsl modem then you need to get a crossover cable to go from the pc to the xbox 360 and a regular cable to go to the modem

Rodstorm

• Archived User
God Damn Networking!
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 12:30:00 AM »

What sort of cheap switch are we talking about here guys?
I use the same cable for both my adsl to 360 connection as I do for my pc to 360 connection and it worked before but now it doesnt so maybe this switch will fix the problem?
Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Monkey106

• Archived User
God Damn Networking!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 03:48:00 PM »

Nah bugger that, I don't want to buy something to have to make it work when it's worked perfectly before. If it has worked before, I should be able to fix it with what I have already. I mean, 60 percent of the time, it works ALL the time. It's science!

Monkey106

• Archived User
God Damn Networking!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 04:22:00 PM »

Well i'm one small step closer to the connection being back to normal; I've got the xbox connected to the network card in the computer now, as opposed to the usb modem, and i've managed to get Live working. Only thing is that the connection is manually configured (on the computer end), and I can't connect to any media. The 360 says:

Network Adapter: Wired
IP: Confirmed
Computer: Failed

What I want to know is, how could it be connecting to the internet but not to the computer itself? It just doesn't make sense to me!

Does anyone out there know how to fix this? Surely there's some networking professional that knows what the problem is. Or even just a networking prodigy. Networking..boy scout? Rabid dog?

Monkey106

• Archived User
God Damn Networking!
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 09:41:00 PM »

Networking...kitty cat?

Monkey106

• Archived User
God Damn Networking!
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 03:34:00 AM »

Well what about a networking mongoose? Surely someone out there knows the answer to this problem. Maybe there's a micro$oft guy trawling the forum. Hey YOU! MICRO$OFT GUY! ANSWER ME! Ha ha ha.

metaldevil

• Archived User
God Damn Networking!
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 04:03:00 AM »

Three bumps in twelve hours is a great way to get people to ignore you.