xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ram Chip Desoldered  (Read 216 times)

ssneeky

• Archived User
Ram Chip Desoldered
« on: July 29, 2007, 06:14:00 AM »

ok i bought a 360 which had 3rol.
now first problem was 0102 ok. and overheating.
so i done the x-clamp mod and paste and now the dreaded 0102 is gone.
now i have a new problem error code 0110. which means memory error.
anyway while taking a look at the ram chips i noticed one chip was very very very loose.
the end result is this

(IMG:http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/9603/untitledoa8.th.jpg)

(IMG:http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/9500/unsolderedxx7.th.jpg)

so there it is.
am i screwed? is there any options i have other than throwing it out?
some help would be great.

FahadSaid

• Archived User
Ram Chip Desoldered
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 06:32:00 AM »

Take it to a company that does BGA rework. You're not totally screwed.

ssneeky

• Archived User
Ram Chip Desoldered
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 06:38:00 AM »

thanks for the quick reply.
im looking into now thanks again

superbee

• Archived User
Ram Chip Desoldered
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »

You'll need to send the console to someone who can reball it and reflow it. Look up Google BGA Rework look for someone in your area.

patch6

• Archived User
Ram Chip Desoldered
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »

Seconding the pro reflow suggestion.

Could you please post a closer picture of the desoldered ram chip's bottom and the board?

Omnix1299

• Archived User
Ram Chip Desoldered
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »

i know everyone is gonna put a damper on me for this but it DOES work... but requires special methods.... if the BGA reflow done professionally is too expensive there may be another option....... you can reflow it yourself.... though you will need to find some good cooling as to not get or see the problem again... align the chip with the board...... get a microwave toaster.... get the microwave toaster up to abotu 210 degrees F.... put the Mobo in for 10-15 minutes... let it cool.. DO NOT TOUCH IT... or bump the toaster oven...... this is a LAST RESORT... as it can damage components.. but i have seen it work... though it wasnt used on a 360.. it was for a cellphone board to repair it.. but the mechanics are the same... if you need more instructions on how to do it... and a pro BGA reflow is outa the question... PM and i will gladly give you some step by step instructions... = )

Wilz

• Archived User
Ram Chip Desoldered
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »

I have desoldered BGA chips with heatgun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) i haven't tried to resolder them back, but i think it would be possible, maybe some flux would be good for it. This method wouldn't damage other components so much than "toaster"  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

patch6

• Archived User
Ram Chip Desoldered
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »

At the least, doing so with a heatgun would require a thermometer, ideally an infrared one (laser thermometer). Slow heating in a pattern that matches a typical thermal profile for lead-free soldered BGA chips would be preferred to sudden heating on a high setting, which could cause a number of problems, the worst of which is "popcorning", which just kills the chip.

Injecting liquid flux that meets Mil. spec. #RA 14256 under the chip prior to reflowing helps too.

Still, don't do it yourself. Let a professional handle it.

A potentially fixable 360 isn't good for training with.

Navillos

• Archived User
Ram Chip Desoldered
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »

dont try to take in your own hands. i guartantee you will kill it.

superbee

• Archived User
Ram Chip Desoldered
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 02:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(Wilz @ Aug 8 2007, 03:07 PM) *

I have desoldered BGA chips with heatgun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) i haven't tried to resolder them back, but i think it would be possible, maybe some flux would be good for it. This method wouldn't damage other components so much than "toaster"  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

You've taken both chips off? Most of the issue at with the GPU so you've more than likely removed the CPU for nothing. Any idea witch way they go back on? Are you going to reball the chips? I personally think your in a little too deep but let me know how you make out.

Navillos

• Archived User
Ram Chip Desoldered
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(superbee @ Aug 8 2007, 03:52 PM) *

You've taken both chips off? Most of the issue at with the GPU so you've more than likely removed the CPU for nothing. Any idea witch way they go back on? Are you going to reball the chips? I personally think your in a little too deep but let me know how you make out.

there should be "dots" on the board and chips to pinpoint how they go back on. or just look at some pics of the motherboard because the writing on the cores should be a certain way. i think it reads from left to right where the back of the case is the starting point.

This post has been edited by Navillos: Aug 8 2007, 09:59 PM

superbee

• Archived User
Ram Chip Desoldered
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »

Navillos your right. I was just asking Wilz if he new?