xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 74

Author Topic: Tutorial : X-clamp Replacement - Lawdawg0931's Method  (Read 16922 times)

grim_d

• Archived User
Tutorial : X-clamp Replacement - Lawdawg0931's Method
« on: April 21, 2007, 05:50:00 AM »

1st things first, ALL CREDIT goes to lawdawg0931 for this method, please stop sending me pm's thanking me as i'm not the genius, he is. If you wish to send him a pm thanking him please do so by clicking Here

Please use this thread to discuss lawdawg0931's X-Clamp Replacement Tutorial.

Update 29/01/09 - video tutorials available here Here

The tutorial is available Here or Here

you may discuss things like, alternate parts, troubleshooting etc.

The original X-clamp replacement thread is available Here, it contains much valuable information.

I do not want to see ANY posts which say "Which method is better" or similar, both method's are proven to work, other may find one method easier than the other etc.

Once you have performed and X-Clamp replacement, It would be appreciated if you could report your success in This thread.

If you have used RBJtech's tutorial and wish to discuss it, please use the specified thread Here

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 08:56:00 AM »

Australian Parts

Store: Bunnings Warehouse (Store Locater)

2 x Dan's Premium C/S MT Screws & Nuts Size 3/16x1/2 (Qty: 5 per packet)
2 x Zenith Flat Washers 3/16 (Qty: 25 per packet)

I used 3 washers on the bottom of the motherboard, and 2 on the top.

I cleaned the CPU, GPU and heatsinks with Arcticlean, and re-applied with Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Premium Compound.

Australian's can buy those thermal products from here.

Everything is working great for me so far. Thanks Lawdawg.

This post has been edited by dvsone: Apr 21 2007, 04:01 PM

lawdawg0931

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »

@dvsone
Thanks for the parts list...everything helps out for different areas. Glad to hear it's working out for you.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(lawdawg0931 @ Apr 21 2007, 07:55 PM) *

@dvsone
Thanks for the parts list...everything helps out for different areas. Glad to hear it's working out for you.

I think Soon it's going to rech the stage where were going to need a pinned faq for everything related to this.

darthjuky

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »

I read just this morning. Ran out to Lowes to get the parts. I sent my box in to modchipman.xxx and the repair did not take. They were doing the heat gun thing and artic silver paste.  I waited 80 days. Out of frustration I read this and I did the repair this morning carefully. Only 1 hour.  I followed it exactly and it worked.  It makes sense. The motherboards are warping and these "X" clips do not hold on to the gpu and cpu very well.  My GPU was the culprit. Loose as a goose on the mother board with the crappy "x" clip.  When the box warps from heat it loses connection.  The towel trick and the heat gun trick are short temporary solutions because the board will warp again eventually due to design flaw with the "x" clip.  

Inside the box when I took it apart, I could rock the "X" clip back and forth. It was very loose.

In my case, this repair worked.  We played for 3 hours this afternoon.  It was well worth it.  I hope the repair companys are paying attention to this.

It makes sense.  The mother boards are warping out due to heat.  Follow the instructions exactly how they have them. I about pooped my pants when it booted and played flawlessly.  I noticed the internal fan rpm was working and seem stronger after the reapir.  

God bless you for posting this repair and the part numbers to get the parts! Outstanding.

This post has been edited by darthjuky: Apr 21 2007, 08:23 PM

smittykoi

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »

Just a Quote from the last topic by ( naoneo ) worked for me >>>>>

Fixed, was getting 3RL on power-on at one point, scrapped those crappy x-clamps and it works fine now!

As a note, i'm in the uk so i used these parts, from B&Q :

Flat washer 5mm (Code AVF-064968)
Machine screws 5mm 0.8mm x 30mm (Code AVF-069871)

The screws were fine for the larger heat sinc, but i had to dremel the heads off the flat heat sinc level with the top of the heat sinc to install the dvd drive, the B+Q didn't actually have anything smaller than 30mm in 5mm-0.8mm at the one i went to but im sure they'll probably have the right size elsewhere?
The washers however are spot on, i used one on the underside, and two on the top between motherboard and heat sinc.

>>>> I used 1 washer to start off with, which this booted but then gave me 2 red lights> which is over heating, Then tryed the 2 washers between motherboard and heat sinc, and bang all is working fine  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)  played on it for 2 nights running 8 - 10 hours play with no probs.

found >> Machine screws from b&q 5mm 0.8mm x 12mm ( code AVF-069352 )

This post has been edited by smittykoi: Apr 21 2007, 09:27 PM

JakeDunn

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »

I've read both guides(im not trying to start a vs here mods wink.gif ) and I just need to ask a question for this method. I know in RBJtech's method, he has modified the heatsinks to fit the screws, and do you do any of that with this method or you just take the clamps out and replace them with screws+washers?

I've seen the reference picture in the guide, but it kinda confused me sleep.gif . Thanks.

WyldRyce

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »

Went ahead and tried this seeing how I didn't want to pay for repairs. Unfortunately, it just gave me a new error code. Went from a 0102 to a 0020. Going to try messing with the washers and stuff and see if that works. If not, looks like I'll be buying a Elite. =(

jameswalter

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(JakeDunn @ Apr 21 2007, 07:57 PM) View Post

I've read both guides(im not trying to start a vs here mods wink.gif ) and I just need to ask a question for this method. I know in RBJtech's method, he has modified the heatsinks to fit the screws, and do you do any of that with this method or you just take the clamps out and replace them with screws+washers?

I've seen the reference picture in the guide, but it kinda confused me sleep.gif . Thanks.

With this method....you just use the washers and screws, no modifications required.  I did this...and it works great.  Just don't forget to clean and replace the thermal grease.

JakeDunn

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(WyldRyce @ Apr 21 2007, 08:30 PM) *

Went ahead and tried this seeing how I didn't want to pay for repairs. Unfortunately, it just gave me a new error code. Went from a 0102 to a 0020. Going to try messing with the washers and stuff and see if that works. If not, looks like I'll be buying a Elite. =(

You might want to check out this thread since the last poster had the same error as you and managed to sort the problem (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
QUOTE(jameswalter @ Apr 21 2007, 08:36 PM) *

With this method....you just use the washers and screws, no modifications required.  I did this...and it works great.  Just don't forget to clean and replace the thermal grease.

Cool. I was thinking I had to cut out some of the aluminum fins on the gpu hs. Thanks for that info (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

WyldRyce

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »

Thank you so much for posting that! My 360 now boots up!  biggrin.gif

lawdawg0931

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 08:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(JakeDunn @ Apr 21 2007, 10:54 PM) View Post
Cool. I was thinking I had to cut out some of the aluminum fins on the gpu hs.

Not with my method, but you might want to do some of RBJTech's cooling mods - like cut out the back grill around the fans (better airflow).

Morien

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 08:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(dvsone @ Apr 21 2007, 11:03 PM) View Post

Australian Parts

Just wondering how much it all comes to?

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »

I´m close to do this X clamp mod, but i´m in the fence between Dawg and Rjtech.

What i like about the Rjtech is that the measure are in UK (same type we use in my country ) Cm, mm, etc..
and the guide is much simpler..

what i like about the Dawg is that i don´t have to modife the GPU heatsink.

So if someone could give me the size of the componentes in mm it will be great

a) 8 M5-.80 x 10 Machine Screws #138433
cool.gif 16 #10 Flat Washers – Nylon #139065
c) 16 5mm Flat Washers – Metal #138319
d) Artic Silver thermal compound

How ling is the m5-80x10 ? how cmm and diamiter is?
same with the flat washers... etc..

thanks!

By the way this is not a post asking wich is better i´m still undecided..
Also i don´t see a good explanation on this tutorial for the CPU only for the GPU... any idea where i can find the Dawgs tutorial for the cpu heatsink?

lawdawg0931

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »

@booker

The bolts are 10mm in length, and the washers are the same as RBJTech's measurements..(.71mm)
The mothod is the same for both heatsinks, the bolts go through the mobo (with washers listed), then screw right into the heatsinks (their native thread). No need to drill out the heatsinks. That way it's reversible (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

This post has been edited by lawdawg0931: Apr 22 2007, 09:07 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 74