xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Cheap Wireless Solution: Use Routers  (Read 403 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Cheap Wireless Solution: Use Routers
« on: January 30, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | January 31 00:27 EST

From expertfaqs.com:

It is a tradition amongst console manufacturers to complete system functionality through official accessories at prohibiting prices. Microsoft's XBOX360 isn't an exception, though we will teach you in this article how to bypass and cut the costs of getting the official wireless adapter.

It is worth noting beforehand that common USB Wireless Adapters won't work due to their nature, which requires drivers to function properly, and the XBOX360 only features drivers to its own official adapter.

But don't lose hope. The console does feature a standard Ethernet port in the back panel, and is compatible with virtually any network equipment in the store shelves. This gives us a wide array of choices but remember, our mission is to save money so getting overpriced "Network Gaming Adapters" doesn't really fit what we have in mind.

We will describe you in the following pages how you can wirelessly connect two routers in the same network, so that one can act as wireless adapter for the XBOX360 and being the other your regular main router.

Full Story: expertfaqs.com (4 pages)

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »

Anyone with a bit of experience in networking knows how to set everything up using off-the-shelf components. A lot of people already did this with the Xbox.

Still, nice article.

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »

Anyone with a brain buys a wireless bridge or an extra router instead of that crap Wi-Fi adapter, right?  uhh.gif

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »

Anyone got some recommendations for a good router(s) to buy? Also looking for a new modem too. Your recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks for posting this article, it helps.

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »

thers wired to wireless adaptors that do not connect to usb but to the standerd eathernet port. you dont even need 2 roughters.

drukenslob

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »

DD-WRT all the way PPL !!!

Just get an old WRT54GS (router) or a WAP54G (AP) off ebay and flash it with DD-WRT

its got QOS, XLink-Kai deamon, WDS .......

afandiewinter

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 11:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(drukenslob @ Jan 30 2007, 10:06 PM) View Post

Just get an old WRT54GS (router) or a WAP54G (AP) off ebay and flash it with DD-WRT

or even better. get the buffulo router with a built in amplifier and flash it with DD-WRT.

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(drukenslob @ Jan 31 2007, 07:06 AM) View Post

And if you don't like eBay, just get your hands on a new WRT54GL. DD-WRT also supports that model. Do not get a new WRT54G.

Lamer123

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 11:53:00 PM »

All the new linksys routers support openwrt.

Their is a new micro version for the v5 and v6 versions. It has less features but all the ones anyone here would probably use.

jameswalter

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 12:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(Lamer123 @ Jan 30 2007, 11:00 PM) View Post

All the new linksys routers support openwrt.

Their is a new micro version for the v5 and v6 versions. It has less features but all the ones anyone here would probably use.

Not true.  V7 and V8 are now showing up in stores, and both DD-WRT and OpenWRT don't currently support them.  DD-WRT also has micro versions for v5 and v6.

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 12:49:00 AM »

I thought the point with wireless was no wires, if you use a router you still need to use wires two of them as a matter of fact one for power and one for the the ethernet, Seems like a stupid solution, but I guess if you don't want long cables its a solution for that..

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 01:33:00 AM »

http://www.wi-fiplan...cle.php/3639271

That is a link that deals with the discussion going on here if anyone is confused.  

LOTS OF OPINION BELOW, READ AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

I dont know, for me wireless is still a WIP and not a viable solution...yet.  Its just not there yet.  

Kind of like when we had ugly ass pixelated plasma tv's and DLP tv's that you swear you could find a pot of gold behind.  They just weren't "there" yet, so I waited a couple of years until tech caught up to buy an HDTV.  The price was better and so was the tech.  When wireless tech can compete with wired, I'll go all out wireless.

Right now the only thing wireless in my house is a laptop and thats just so I can surf in bed if I want to.

I'd rather lay 200ft of cat6 throughout my house for the speed (which is what I did).

Do most of you use JUST wireless?  Dont you find it limiting?  Do you feel it while gaming?

GMANLS20

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 01:37:00 AM »

A nice article, but to be honest. Outside the range of your average gamers technical ability. They should have maybe at least recommended some WDS routers, to use.

An easier method it to use your wireless PC/Laptop and bridge the connection. Which I have a detailed guide for on my site (in my profile). Obviously as long as you already have the wireless PC/Laptop and dont mind keeping it on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by GMANLS20: Jan 31 2007, 09:39 AM

mr-smith

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 02:33:00 AM »

Nice article, but a load of guff still. You are far better off just running a cable to your xbox from your router still, even today.

bourke

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 03:17:00 AM »

I just use the original Xbox wireless adaptor (uses ethernet port) which was selling cheap at US$40 :-)
Pages: [1] 2 3