xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Intercooler's Cruel Irony  (Read 493 times)

mkon

• Archived User
Intercooler's Cruel Irony
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 05:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(fahrenheit @ Nov 12 2006, 07:29 PM) View Post

Dumb product for dumb people.

Ever wondered why you don't see PC cooling fans in sandwiched configurations like this? Cause its retarded and inefficient. Two sets of fans sandwiched together causes turbulance that pushes hot air (which the existing fans are more than capable of extracting) back into the case.

Wow what the hell. So now every one is  stupid for wanting to keep a xbox 360 running cool. I realy dont think that turbulance is what is the problem here.

fahrenheit

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 05:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(mkon @ Nov 13 2006, 01:42 PM) View Post

Wow what the hell. So now every one is  stupid for wanting to keep a xbox 360 running cool. I realy dont think that turbulance is what is the problem here.

That is correct, it is not the issue that is referred to here, but it is an issue that makes the product redundant in the first place. If people want to strap on a product that is in no way endorsed by MS and they have no real concept of what is taking place with regards to airflow, then yes, they are stupid.

The 360 does not report its internal temperatures to end users. Therefore any intelligent person would be sceptical of any claims that the company that sells the product makes in regards to performance.

youloseagain

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 06:12:00 PM »

Its pretty simple whats going on with these things internally they dont use the right gauge wire for the amps being pushed thru them to the 360 thus creating resistance and heat.

Its like plugging 10 power strips with things like (tvs blenders and band saws etc) into 1 electrical outlet or its like  "Having a  pc and soda cooler plugged into a 6 power outlet strip connected to a 20 foot 15 amp extension cord" which is how they had set up things at my work.  

I told them they needed to have an electrician wire a seperate circuit for the cooler. The end of cooler plug where it was plugged into the powerstrip was warm and partially melted.

Finally they got a new circuit put in for the cooler.

But yeah always overestimate the guage of wire you need when working with electricity and be very careful. This product is a piece of crap from an electrical wiring standpoint.

Just to add I bought a nyko controller for my ps1 back in the day. It blew the internal fuse for the controller ports inside the ps1.

chinozzz

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 06:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Nov 13 2006, 01:16 AM) View Post

Hah.  Fortunately I didn't buy one of those.  

The PS3 does have one thing going for it over the 360 - an apparently superior cooling system.

I was in the Target where they had the DEMO PS3 and the people there had to RESET the PS3 about every hour because it was freezing up/overheating.  Who knows maybe it as well is just a "Bad one"

Gliff159

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 06:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(chinozzz @ Nov 12 2006, 08:33 PM) View Post

I was in the Target where they had the DEMO PS3 and the people there had to RESET the PS3 about every hour because it was freezing up/overheating.  Who knows maybe it as well is just a "Bad one"

the ps3 is gonna need a vastly superior cooling system because it generates so much hear

DaMyth

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 07:06:00 PM »

I have one, and it's sitting on the shelf. This product started giving me the 3 red lights of death, because my console was getting hot. Did the Arctic Silver 5, and still had problems. Took the Intercooler off and BAM, my shit was working with no problems or overheating issues. I would never tell a friend to get one of these things, not unless they are purposely trying to fry their 360

CamaroGuy

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2006, 08:23:00 PM »

had mine for 6 months and absolutely no issues, I even took mine off to check to see if there were any burnt marks and there's nothing.

joey27

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2006, 08:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(DaMyth @ Nov 12 2006, 07:13 PM) View Post

I have one, and it's sitting on the shelf. This product started giving me the 3 red lights of death, because my console was getting hot. Did the Arctic Silver 5, and still had problems. Took the Intercooler off and BAM, my shit was working with no problems or overheating issues. I would never tell a friend to get one of these things, not unless they are purposely trying to fry their 360

I also had the same problem with the 3 red lights but once I removed this Nyko intercooler, the 3 red light have not came back.I was so pissed I called ms costomer  service and I told them how in the hell is my shit overheating when I have nyko intercooler and the pelican stand holder with a fan.Ms just told me to send it in and they would not charge me because of extented warranty  of the first lunch xbox360.I also believe that the three error light is caused by not having suffecient power for the inter cooler.ms has stated to remove everything to see if  the  erors go away,witch in some systems it does go away.

fahrenheit

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2006, 09:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(scottmuller28 @ Nov 13 2006, 05:09 PM) View Post

Its a real shame that the 360 has got a serious heating problem and they can easily solve it just by putting one extra fan inside the box. They seem to be are more focused on putting black shit into DVD-rom drives to stop hacking but fail to improve their major design faults. eg Metal eletronic sheild within inner shell waste of resources bloody stupid traps hot air in!!

They have a CPU design revision which is due early next year which dramatically reduces heat and power. Old news.

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2006, 11:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Nov 12 2006, 08:16 PM) View Post

Hah.  Fortunately I didn't buy one of those.  

The PS3 does have one thing going for it over the 360 - an apparently superior cooling system.

While intial reviews would make it seem so I wonder how it will do in the consumers hands.

QUOTE(chinozzz @ Nov 12 2006, 09:33 PM) View Post

heh sounds familar....When the 360 came out the same thing happened at the target I used to frequent.  The kid working the counter said said it constantly froze and required hard resets.  Judging a console that gets run 24/7 in a plstic box is not the best way to make a decision.  I worked for Target for a couple years and every console would freeze.

QUOTE(fahrenheit @ Nov 13 2006, 12:18 AM) View Post

They have a CPU design revision which is due early next year which dramatically reduces heat and power. Old news.

die shrink, not redesign

drakethegreat

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2006, 11:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(bdanser @ Nov 12 2006, 04:40 PM) View Post

I put one of these things on my box when I first bought it four months ago. It would cause errors, make strange noises, and generally screwed things up. I took it off and have had no problem since.

Caveat emptor!

John

Ya I had the exact same problems. So I threw out the intercooler and awesome... except now I still have performance issues when playing long games of Madden 07. Of course this could never have anything to do with the fact that companies outsource their production... You get what you pay for.

Cr4z33

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2006, 12:08:00 AM »

Microsoft already said that device might cause problems.
Were they right? unsure.gif

http://www.elektriq....-cooling-device

Puma81

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2006, 05:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(C89ZX7R @ Nov 13 2006, 11:00 AM) View Post

love how people say their getting red lights on start up with the intercooler . If you actually read the directions it says " do not start the xbox with the intercooler on "

How are you supposed to not turn on the intercooler when you power on the 360. It has no on/off switch as it uses the 360's power source directly. I dont know what manual you were reading.

Sgt_Yates

• Recovered User
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2006, 06:31:00 AM »

Man, if you think about this...it has to be just random cases. Nyko makes pretty decent, albeit cheap, accessories. They WOULD have tested this thing at least moderately. If this one is burning, how about that others. The Pelican stand, or that cooler/usb/video out adapter one that runs the full length of the console? Can't remember the name.

I do not use my intercooler often. I mean, I think he turned it on without the power connector snapped/locked in correctly. Remember on the old XBOX, it would crackle if you plugged it into the wall, and then the cord to the console. I mean that thing shouldn’t be sending much power, until u hit that power button. It doesn't even run the fans until you power up. So it can’t be more than a couple of volts running through it in static. I am not an EE major, but there must be an explanation here besides "NYKO effed up!" Well, I hope so, because I already threw out my receipt and lame packaging for mine... blink.gif

If you really have had problems, then cool (no pun intended), but its AMAZING how many "problems" are coming out of the wood-work now...can u say bandwagon?

Sgt_Yates

• Recovered User
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2006, 06:55:00 AM »

Sorry to post again, But can some smart person design a DIY USB alternative for the intercooler, so I can run those fans off of the USB port? Is that an option? I don't care if it looks kinda crappy, its on the back. The Pelican is a USB periphial. I mean, the Nyko would not spin those fans as fast, maybe all 3 wouldnt spin at all, but there has to be something useful about it...I hope sad.gif
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4