xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Save your 360 from the dreaded red lights with this fix  (Read 347 times)

frieko

• Archived User
Save your 360 from the dreaded red lights with this fix
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 12:05:00 PM »

Some benevolent nerd should take their crasher, open it up and photograph the heatsink, pay MS to fix it, and then photo the heatsink again. If the foil "disappears", class action lawsuit for everybody!

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 12:29:00 PM »

Wow my error code guide made it to ars technica  biggrin.gif

While I agree that replacing the thermal compound can definitly help with heat issues there are a number of problems that can throw the 3 red light error completely unrelated to overheating.

If this only fixes half of the people who get 3 red lights from overheating then it fixes even a a much smaller fraction of people who get 3 red lights.

neoed30

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 12:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(Matt_Tracy @ Jun 17 2006, 11:20 AM) View Post

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=522113

I did that yesterday, it worked for me.

I done this exact same thing about a month ago and it only worked for me for about a week without one freeze at all and now it's right back to the 3 red lights again. If you are getting the 3 red lights on your 360 I noticed if it's gonna flash the 3 red lights at you when you first turn it on just listen to the fans. They sound different than what they do when it's gonna boot up. If it's heat related then how come if you turn it on after not being on for a few hours or even days it just flashes at you? I tried this after not being able to get it to even boot up. I covered the fan vents with something long enough to build up some heat inside while the system was on and flashing at me. Then after about 3 or 4 minutes I restarted it and it booted right up. Unfortunately, shortly after I did this it froze. And I restarted it and it went right back to flashing and not booting up again. But what I don't get is why did this enable it to boot up after it heated up and wouldn't boot up after a cold start?

BenS

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 12:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(neoed30 @ Jun 17 2006, 02:56 PM) View Post

But what I don't get is why did this enable it to boot up after it heated up and wouldn't boot up after a cold start?

It may be similar to the OBDII in your car.  

It might have some flash RAM or something to store a code.  Once a code gets "thrown" by overheating or whatever, then store the code in memory / flash ram until a reboot.  Then when booting, it checks for codes, and trips the red lights.

Just a thought.

neoed30

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 01:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(BenS @ Jun 17 2006, 03:00 PM) View Post

It may be similar to the OBDII in your car.  

It might have some flash RAM or something to store a code.  Once a code gets "thrown" by overheating or whatever, then store the code in memory / flash ram until a reboot.  Then when booting, it checks for codes, and trips the red lights.

Just a thought.

I wonder how many codes there are for overheating? I know if you open your 360 and remove the plastic vent between the fans and the GPU/CPU. While it's running of course. The fans speed up really fast to the point you think there going to break or something until the 360 justs shut itself down and then flash 2 red lights at you.

erexx

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2006, 01:21:00 PM »

This has been covered before in pretty clear detail.
While everyone in the hardware community knows not to touch foil thermal pads
MS seems very intent that this is the right engineering solution.
(Sssh, don’t let MS know. They already know everything)

MS fired back that it is a valid solution using some silly charts to back up their reasoning.

Meanwhile xbox360's with CPU's that run a little hotter than spec should, in the least, expect a shorter life span.
Those that start running a little hotter than spec should expect random failures.

To MS this isn’t some kinda celeron gpu/cpu you are protecting... wake up.

If its "ok" then let you be the one.

puppydg68

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006, 04:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(Muzzakus @ Jun 17 2006, 04:27 PM) View Post

Mine started to do this too after a few months.  But I fail to understand fully here.  As you say it can freeze from totally cold start within minutes - or it can go all night sometimes.

The Q is, how can it overheat so quickly during boot sequence or even when left on the dashboard, which are hardly taxing the gpu? But also at the same time not overheat after hours of intensive 3d operation ?

How can this instability can be heat related?  It does not make sense.

Ironically my 360 was manufactured Feb 2006.  A far cry from the initial launch.  And they haven't addressed something as simple as this?  Lets hope that this is not a red herring to a completely diferent issue.

Cheers,
Muz

I'm glad to see many others having the same problem - well not glad, but at least I know it's not just me.   Our problem may not be heat related, its so strange it will die on cold start and sometimes work all night.  I encourage anyone with this specific intermittent problem to call MS, escalate to a supervisor, then escalate it again to the 2nd supervisor who will call you back within 72 hours (This alone indicates real problems - if the supervisors are 3 days back logged with call backs).  Tell them you believe MS should stand behind their product, and tell them that it's in their best interest to fix your unit if they want you to buy more games for it.   They will either offer you a discounted rate, or fix it for free.   your experience may vary but if you are calm, rational but firm you can get some sort of justice from them.  The more units that go back for this specific problem, is the easier it should be for future gamers to get them repaired for free, especially if it becomes a very well known problem.   Additionally if you send you unit in, they will most likely replace it with a new one - new serial number for a refurbished unit (good or bad - as you don't know how well the person before you took card of that unit) you will get a new 30 day warranty on the repair unit, with the option of extending it for a year for $39.   Which will be a lot cheaper than if you have to pay their normal repair fee.

And yes the red lights error can be from many different problems..  From day one, my 360 had issues with the power supply, the cord was flakey and if you went near it or moved it, it would shut the xbox off, and it would not boot up giving the 3 red lights error, until the cord was moved into a position that it wasn't short circuiting.   MS had to send me a replacement power supply in my first month..  This is a new ring of red error now, but still flashing the same 3 quadrants.

They really need to work on their quality assurance..  If you really stand behind your product you should be offering 1 year warranty.   If a company has confidence that their product won't suffer defects in the 1st year, there should be no reason not to offer that year of warranty.

Xeriak

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006, 04:26:00 PM »

I guess we can only wait for the Xbox 360 hardware spec to mature over time, and maybe then the failure rate will go down to 0.1%

halikus

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2006, 05:08:00 PM »

Didn't everyone know this already?

patrick2269

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2006, 05:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(halikus @ Jun 17 2006, 07:15 PM) View Post

Didn't everyone know this already?

That’s what I was thinking, like we knew months ago, right?

cent

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2006, 07:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(Aphex242 @ Jun 17 2006, 04:36 PM) View Post

Wouldn't the whole "burst into flames" thing be "the real problem"?  And how is issuing a recall NOT admitting you screwed the pooch with your original design?

Your post hurts my head.

The real problem was unusable xbox. Yes, they tried to save our house`s from being burned, but the problem wasn`t  in the powercord, it was/is inside of older xbox`s powersupply and it can`t be repaired(if broken) without opening the xbox. M$ told us just the half thruth.... I can see that you haven´t  had any problems with the powersupply, but if anyone else does, I succest to take a look at a link provided by patrick

QUOTE(patrick2269 @ Jun 17 2006, 04:44 PM) View Post

LOL, I tried to convince some workers at EB Games/Game Stop that was the real problem, but they would not lesion to reason, LOL that’s there own loss there. I tried  sleep.gif

And I have fixed like 5 Xbox’s with that problem.

http://www.llamma.co..... tutorial.htm

I have fixed 2 xbox`s with the same problem and MAYBE overheating problems in x360 are caused by faulty manufactory of one of the productionlines. Who knows, but we can rest assured that we will never hear of a major screwup  like this, if it has happened, it would be way too expensive to call back all the 360`s of one productionline.....

bytheway my x360 have worked like a charm for over 6 moths now, quess I got one from a good productionline... biggrin.gif

Muzzakus

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2006, 08:39:00 PM »

I'm curious as to how succesfull M$ is with dealing with this problem.  How many have had theirs repaired -or- replaced only to have the issues rear it's ugly head again?

Muz

erexx

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2006, 08:23:00 AM »

QUOTE(BenS @ Jun 18 2006, 01:08 PM) View Post

Shrug.  I fixed my 360 with this method

Anyone else that resurrects their Xbox360 this way should report it in the forums.
They should also follow thru if the fix fails or if it works for months/years.

This will help other 360 owners with the same problem decide what they want to do.
Buy another 360 or fix the one they have.

As always if you have a warrenty.
Use it first.

Xfab29

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2006, 10:43:00 PM »

i'm so angry  

i succeed in correcting my 2 red lights (overheating), when getting of the foil and changing thermal paste.
All be ok but today I've got 3 red light of death, with 0102 error no video on screen.
The GPU radiator is so damn hot!
When i get the radiator of, i get 2 red light error (overheating)

wtf could this error be?

Xfab29

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2006, 04:00:00 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3