xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Llamma's Dvd Drive Fix  (Read 156 times)

C o s m o

• Archived User
Llamma's Dvd Drive Fix
« on: December 06, 2005, 01:04:00 PM »

skierdb526

• Archived User
Llamma's Dvd Drive Fix
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 05:04:00 PM »

does anyone know what size of foam pads to use or will any work?

C o s m o

• Archived User
Llamma's Dvd Drive Fix
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 07:17:00 PM »

I don't know for sure, but maybe 1"x2" judging by the picture.

AmyGrrl

• Recovered User
Llamma's Dvd Drive Fix
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 08:58:00 PM »

I know this will be the 1st thing I do, once I get 360 in the next year.

m82a1

• Archived User
Llamma's Dvd Drive Fix
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 08:58:00 PM »

this is probably like those "must do mods" u know?
a very good fix or "patch" if u will by lamma, people wont have to play there games in fear anymore, well done smile.gif keep up  the good work

ZildjianKX

• Archived User
Llamma's Dvd Drive Fix
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 09:10:00 PM »

This just proves how little MS cared... it really wouldn't have taken much effort on their part for this not to even be an issue.  They were too busy trying to make the system look small and overhyping it than doing practical testing.

rocarmy4life

• Archived User
Llamma's Dvd Drive Fix
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 09:18:00 PM »

Call me (insert chip makers name here) and I will sell you that patch for $80!!!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif)

ebrunn

• Archived User
Llamma's Dvd Drive Fix
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 09:52:00 PM »

or you could just not move the 360 when it has a game in the drive. Common sense.

luther349

• Archived User
Llamma's Dvd Drive Fix
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 10:01:00 PM »

im taking the 3rd option. not buying a defectiv machine. my xbox is perfectly fine for another year or more. buy then any defectiv 360 will be replaced or dead. and i can buy without worring abought such issues. of course moving a 360 when its on is just retarted and those people need to be shot. the issue of it scraching them when its not being moved worryes me and the meltdowns.

This post has been edited by luther349: Dec 7 2005, 06:04 AM

mkemmett

• Archived User
Llamma's Dvd Drive Fix
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 10:04:00 PM »

Yea, what kind of idiot is dumb enough to move their xbox while its turned on, I think this mod by Llama is unecessary unless your stupid.

justin_k

• Archived User
Llamma's Dvd Drive Fix
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 10:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(mkemmett @ Dec 7 2005, 06:11 AM) View Post

... I think this mod by Llama is unecessary unless your stupid.

Read that again,  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  OH SWEET IRONY!  tongue.gif

Sauron-Jin

• Archived User
Llamma's Dvd Drive Fix
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 10:26:00 PM »

Hey, wtf, use your brain, nobody here has young brothers or sons, or whifes/sisters/mothers/husbands who like to clean the room while you are playing? is stupid to move the console while the disc is inside, but sometimes it doesn't depend on you, accidents happen and better be sure than be sorry.

There could even be an earthquake while your are playing and bye bye game disc.

This quick and easy mod is a must until MS make a new revision of the DVD Reader.

I choose 3rd option too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

cya!

This post has been edited by Sauron-Jin: Dec 7 2005, 06:28 AM

frieko

• Archived User
Llamma's Dvd Drive Fix
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 10:23:00 PM »

WOW!

Do people that keep saying 'just don't move your 360' when it's on not own a single piece of consumer electronics? Nothing I own EXPLODES WHEN I MOVE IT. Consoles are a PLAYTHING. Like any other toy it shouldn't break easily. I can turn of my xbox at the end of a lan party and toss it in my backpack before the disc stops spinning, and I can move it around looking for where the hell did I put tiger woods golf without turning it off. I throw my controllers when i get fragged in halo. Hell, I even used to have a shitty solderless modchip and I often had to SUPLEX MY XBOX to seat the pins in to make it boot! Oh, such tough love...

A disc player that breaks disks is BROKEN. Just because we're all ms fanboys here doesn't mean we should sit around and TAKE IT IN THE ASS!

garlm

• Archived User
Llamma's Dvd Drive Fix
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 11:29:00 PM »

Anyone else think those rubber pads are just as capable of ruining a disc?
It just won't have the nice, cleanly cut circles. And when you try to return it *then*, you might even have worse luck.

Alkane

• Archived User
Llamma's Dvd Drive Fix
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 11:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(frieko @ Dec 7 2005, 12:30 AM) View Post

WOW!

Do people that keep saying 'just don't move your 360' when it's on not own a single piece of consumer electronics? Nothing I own EXPLODES WHEN I MOVE IT. Consoles are a PLAYTHING. Like any other toy it shouldn't break easily. I can turn of my xbox at the end of a lan party and toss it in my backpack before the disc stops spinning, and I can move it around looking for where the hell did I put tiger woods golf without turning it off. I throw my controllers when i get fragged in halo. Hell, I even used to have a shitty solderless modchip and I often had to SUPLEX MY XBOX to seat the pins in to make it boot! Oh, such tough love...

A disc player that breaks disks is BROKEN. Just because we're all ms fanboys here doesn't mean we should sit around and TAKE IT IN THE ASS!

I agree completely!  Also when you have a system which changes the orientation of the lit up LEDs on the front when you change the system's position, from horizontal to vertical or vise-versa, is going to have some otherwise smart people showing their friends, maybe without a second thought at the time about the disc currently running in the system.  "Hey look at this ...AH SHIT".

This will be added to my list of things to fix on machines when I mod.  Some of the others:
- Fix Foxlink solder joints on v1.0 consoles
- Apply Romeo protection fix on v9/10 PS2s
- Adjust tracking settings and protect against Mechacom crash on v12 PSTwos

Remember, lamma made the same mistake and I certainly wouldn't call him stupid.  When you're working on machines, like I do, especially on PS2 machines, its common to change the orientation when checking the laser strength (discs that would otherwise not load, will sometimes load in the vertical position).  I have worked on a great many PS2s and have never scratched my test discs ; )  ...but the early PS2s had their own issues as to be expected with early revision machines.