xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Please Help  (Read 141 times)

wizard6374

• Archived User
Please Help
« on: February 02, 2020, 06:55:00 PM »

I have an hdtv and a nice surround sound system... my goal is to have true 5.1 surround sound with my gaming im not sure if i do... n e ways this is how i have it hooked up.... I have my XBox hooked up to the TV with an HDMI cable. and I have an optical cable running from the tv to the surround sound.... On my xbox settings i have 5.1 selected and I just run the Optical selection on the Surround sound and the sound plays through the speakers ... is this true 5.1? please help.....!

crazyshiza

• Archived User
Please Help
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 04:40:00 PM »

Most likely not, because most TV's cannot pass surround sound through the optical cable from the HDMI inputs. The best way is to connect the optical cable from the xbox straight to the surround sound.

irenicus87

• Archived User
Please Help
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »

It will depend on the age of the TV. If it's from within the last two years and was more than an absolute baseline model, chances are it will pass the full 5.1 surround out to your stereo receiver.

accat13

• Archived User
Please Help
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »

It all depends on the equipment you are using.If you have a newer good quality surround sound receiver then all the hooks would go thru the receiver first.If its older or cheaper equipment then you may have to use two separate cables, hdmi for the video directly to the tv and optical directly to the receiver(its an odd setup you end up with hdmi and optical hooked up to the xbox). Its so much easier if you upgrade to newer equipment less wiring.As a preemptive thought you will most likely want to read this next http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50